OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:40:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake bishop tries to sneak into Vatican meeting  (Read 1012 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: March 04, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9907848/Fake-bishop-tries-to-sneak-into-Vatican-meeting.html

Ralph Napierski, a self-appointed bishop from an apparently fictional order called Corpus Dei, managed to get through a checkpoint manned by Swiss Guards but was stopped before entering the Paul VI Hall, where the cardinals were gathering.

Dressed in fake bishop’s vestments, complete with a purple sash, Mr Napierski smiled to photographers as he mixed with more than 140 cardinals from around the world as they filed into the hall to discuss the challenges facing the Church and possible “papabili” or papal candidates.
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »

Can we sneak Orthodox bishops into the conclave and then elect an Orthodox Bishop of Rome? Wink
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:48:38 PM »

This guy sounds kinda awesome.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »

What a nut!  And there isn't even a full moon... Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:52:14 PM by Monk Vasyl » Logged

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »

"he gathering of cardinals in the Vatican was overshadowed not just by scandal but by farce too, when a German man masquerading as a bishop tried to infiltrate the meeting."

Napierski - Greman :roll:

"He said that he was a member of the “Italian Orthodox Church”, which does not exist, "

Does it?

http://www.chiesaortodossa.it/

And seriously, guy is awesome. Reminds me of Remy Galliard.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:09:31 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9907848/Fake-bishop-tries-to-sneak-into-Vatican-meeting.html

Ralph Napierski, a self-appointed bishop from an apparently fictional order called Corpus Dei, managed to get through a checkpoint manned by Swiss Guards but was stopped before entering the Paul VI Hall, where the cardinals were gathering.

Dressed in fake bishop’s vestments, complete with a purple sash, Mr Napierski smiled to photographers as he mixed with more than 140 cardinals from around the world as they filed into the hall to discuss the challenges facing the Church and possible “papabili” or papal candidates.

I guess it takes practice to wear the sash right, look at him and look at the real cardinal how the real cardinal rocks the sash while the fake guy just looks goofy. its probably the costume disaster that gave him away. lol

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »

This "Bishop Ralph" sells "relics" on eBay.  Certified by himself.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »

Am I the only one that found this a little distasteful?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »

No.

But it does make me wonder about security, vetting and credentials.

You would think an organization claiming universal jurisdiction would have a better system after all these centuries.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:43:47 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »

What on earth is wrong with people?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »

No.

You would think an organization claiming universal jurisdiction would have a better system after all these centuries.  Wink

Just keep going. It's so cute when people don't have respect for each other.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »

No.

You would think an organization claiming universal jurisdiction would have a better system after

Just keep going. It's so cute when people don't have respect for each other.

Lighten up a little, the man looked ludicrous. You could dress a kid better for a school play from any costume rental agency. As for that picture with the Cardinal? See how far you get with a Yankee uniform you bought at a sports store at Yankee Stadium. You wouldn't be yukking it up with Derek Jeter on the field during batting practice for sure or footballers at Wembley. It was an appalling security failure
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »

No. But I pray that God will open these people`s eyes and make them realize, one day what a wrong way to treat your next this is. Pray for them. 

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »

The article says the guy also supports something called "Jesus Yoga" and that he's invented "a system to enable persons to control computers with the power of thoughts."

Let's not credit him with awesomeness just yet...

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »

Can we sneak Orthodox bishops into the conclave and then elect an Orthodox Bishop of Rome? Wink
Paging Isa...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:23:25 PM »

The article says the guy also supports something called "Jesus Yoga" and that he's invented "a system to enable persons to control computers with the power of thoughts."

Let's not credit him with awesomeness just yet...

That's exactly what popped out to me as awesome

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
choy
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 11:55:32 PM »

Paging Isa...
Are you proposing we just sneak Isa instead?  That would actually be more awesome!  Grin Cheesy
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »

in a totally unrelated but related story, I once went to a RC store & they spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out what "order" i'm from.  when I told them I was an orthodox priest, they looked rather disappointed. 

eh...I thought it amounted to the same thing. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 06:45:55 AM »

Napierski is an episcopus vagante claiming episcopal orders from the Thuc lineage. Archbishop Ngô-dinh-Thuc in the last years of his life suffered from dementia and ordained and subsequently consecrated a number of bishops who took it upon themselves to erect any number of vagante ecclesiae which further flooded the so-called 'Independent Catholic and Orthodox Church' ranks. Like many of his genre, Napierski likewise claims sub conditione episcopal orders from a variety of other equally dubious lines - with Catholic, EO, EC, OO, and OC origins, if I remember correctly, as well as an Old Catholic or two. His personal 'Church', as already noted, is termed 'Corpus Dei'.

Like many of his ilk, the good bishop would appear to be the sole cleric and perhaps the entire congregation of his "Church". He's also a tad more 'out-there' than even most of them. As you'll see in reading his site, he goes to great lengths to make it appear that he's in communion with Rome and these folks generally are very adept at getting photo-ops, etc, that seem to make them appear legitimate. Unfortunately, one can find photos of any number of them with Popes, the EP, the MP, the Coptic Pope, and various other hierarchs. Had this character tried to pull this off with a bit more attention to his clerical garb or on a less unique occasion, you'd have probably seen him con-celebrating at the high altar of St Peter's.

Many years,

Neil

posted from my laz-y-boy cathedra in my garage cum cathedral in this the 45th year of my reign as patriarch-archeparch of Slobbovia and the 450th of the Baptism of Slobbovia
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:51:13 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »

Napierski is an episcopus vagante claiming episcopal orders from the Thuc lineage. Archbishop Ngô-dinh-Thuc in the last years of his life suffered from dementia and ordained and subsequently consecrated a number of bishops who took it upon themselves to erect any number of vagante ecclesiae which further flooded the so-called 'Independent Catholic and Orthodox Church' ranks. Like many of his genre, Napierski likewise claims sub conditione episcopal orders from a variety of other equally dubious lines - with Catholic, EO, EC, OO, and OC origins, if I remember correctly, as well as an Old Catholic or two. His personal 'Church', as already noted, is termed 'Corpus Dei'.

Like many of his ilk, the good bishop would appear to be the sole cleric and perhaps the entire congregation of his "Church". He's also a tad more 'out-there' than even most of them. As you'll see in reading his site, he goes to great lengths to make it appear that he's in communion with Rome and these folks generally are very adept at getting photo-ops, etc, that seem to make them appear legitimate. Unfortunately, one can find photos of any number of them with Popes, the EP, the MP, the Coptic Pope, and various other hierarchs. Had this character tried to pull this off with a bit more attention to his clerical garb or on a less unique occasion, you'd have probably seen him con-celebrating at the high altar of St Peter's.

Many years,

Neil

posted from my laz-y-boy cathedra in my garage cum cathedral in this the 45th year of my reign as patriarch-archeparch of Slobbovia and the 450th of the Baptism of Slobbovia

Thanks, that bolsters my point about security.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »

The Orthodox Church, also, has these kooks, but they mostly seem to stay by themselves and disappear when you turn the lights on.  How would we feel, if these people were as visible and brash and this guy would tried to enter the cardinals' meeting, did the same at an Orthodox gathering?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »

in a totally unrelated but related story, I once went to a RC store & they spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out what "order" i'm from.  when I told them I was an orthodox priest, they looked rather disappointed. 

eh...I thought it amounted to the same thing. 

Maybe they had bets and no one won  Grin
choy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »

The Orthodox Church, also, has these kooks, but they mostly seem to stay by themselves and disappear when you turn the lights on.  How would we feel, if these people were as visible and brash and this guy would tried to enter the cardinals' meeting, did the same at an Orthodox gathering?

It never happens in Orthodoxy!!!

Roll Eyes
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »

Two thumbs down for a very lousy attempt.  He could have at least tried to look like a cardinal.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »

Are you proposing we just sneak Isa instead?  That would actually be more awesome!  Grin Cheesy

Post of the Month!  laugh laugh

Sneaking in Isa? Hooo, THAT would shake things up just a wee bit ...  Wink laugh
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: