OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 12:42:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jennifer Aniston May Marry in Greek Orthodox Church  (Read 2371 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: March 05, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »

Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux’s wedding plans are moving along, with buzz that the intimate ceremony may take place at a Greek Orthodox Church in Pennsylvania Aniston used to frequent as a child.

Many years!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »

Very nice!

Congratulations and may they truly be happy, and enjoy wedded bliss.

Many years!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »

May her marriage last longer then it takes bread to mold....unlike most hollywood marriages.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »

She's divorced, so does she get the second marriage rite?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »

Why is this important to us?
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »

It is not.  Who cares.  I went to the original story and I like this quote:
It's all politics & money. Remember Gov. Carey of NY who was married in the GO Church for the 4th time?

http://hollywood.greekreporter.com/2013/03/04/jennifer-aniston-may-marry-in-greek-orthodox-church/

The newspaper "The Greek Hollywood Reporter" says it all.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

Is she getting married in that particular one because of some profound sentimental reason(s), or just because she hasn't been in one since childhood so she really has no other place she can do it? Nevermind, I don't need to know...
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »

If its on the internet or on TV, then it must be important  Grin
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »

It was Gov. Carey's second wife who married in the Greek Orthodox Church for the 4th time. Whoever posted the twitter content on the greekreporter.com site was mistaken.

And he [Gov. Carey] was embarrassed by his wedding to Evangeline Gouletas, a wealthy real estate investor, who seemed to have miscounted how many former husbands she had, including an apparent bigamist (which called into question the sanctity of her latest marriage in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church).

"I blame myself," Mr. Carey said. "In my religion, you're supposed to get the consent of the faith. I was told that because of who I was, I didn't have to worry about it. I owed it to the people and to my family to be more careful, and I paid for it. It's one reason I didn't run again."

In the interview, he described that marriage as his biggest mistake, ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/05/nyregion/05carey.html?_r=0
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »

Aren't we taught to "care" for everyone?

What she does has no impact on my whatsoever, but, I care enough to wish her and her future husband a happy life together.

Who knows, perhaps getting married in an Orthodox Church might spark a yearning in her, and make an absolute positive difference in her life....and result in her becoming an even better Orthodox Christian.

...and that is something we should wish for everyone.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »

Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux’s wedding plans are moving along, with buzz that the intimate ceremony may take place at a Greek Orthodox Church in Pennsylvania Aniston used to frequent as a child.
has she been to a Greek Orthodox Church-or any Orthodox Church (any Church?)-since then?

Hopefully maybe repentance.  Many Years!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »

Trivia: Telly Savalas was her godfather when she was chrismated in that cathedral-the same one she later attended his funeral at.

Proverbs 22:7
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 03:33:32 PM »

Trivia: Telly Savalas was her godfather when she was chrismated in that cathedral-the same one she later attended his funeral at.

Both events took place at LA's Saint Sophia Cathedral.  St. George Greek Orthodox Church is in downtown Philadelphia, PA
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:34:52 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »

Awww, how precious.  She's feeling nostalgic for the church she went to as a kid. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »

Awww, how precious.  She's feeling nostalgic for the church she went to as a kid. 

Awesome .sig.

Alveus is one funny cat. He and Iconodule need to post more. I needs laughs.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »

Something tells me its not for the right reasons.

Thank you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »

Trying to get a gif of Justin from Mulholland Dr when he pours paint in his wife's jewelry.

Awesome scene.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

Awesome .sig.

Alveus is one funny cat. He and Iconodule need to post more. I needs laughs.
No more laughs from the usual suspects?

Most folks here know how to blur the line between comedy and tragedy.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 07:12:52 PM »

I just do not like this discussion: are we turning into a gossip sheet?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »

Someone is getting married in a church?! Is outrage! She's doing it WRONG!
choy
Archon

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »

But we don't want the Orthodox Church to turn into a Destination Wedding venue for Hollywood celebs.  I think it is fair to ask questions about things that are out there already, like their history of marriages.  Because for most non-Orthodox and non-Christians, this is the only time they will even peek into our Church.  Why would we want to give them a bad or wrong impression?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »

She's divorced, so does she get the second marriage rite?

No; her first marriage was not blessed in the Orthodox Church; thus, it is not a recognized marriage by the Church.  Her father, actor John Aniston, was reported at the time of that marriage to be disappointed that she did not get married in the Orthodox Church.

Ms. Aniston claims membership in the St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles.  A previous poster notes that she "was chrismated" in the Orthodox Church; she was baptized in the Orthodox Church and chrismated when she was a baby, and yes, actor Telly Savalas was her Godfather.

All of us sin, no one knows if Ms. Aniston sins more or less than any of us who are commenting on her apparent plans to marry in the church.  If indeed she is planning a wedding in a church of her faith of Holy Orthodoxy, that's a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:13:40 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »

But just because she gets married in the Church doesn't make her Orthodox right?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »

Jennifer Aniston IS and has been an Orthodox Christian.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »

Jennifer Aniston IS and has been an Orthodox Christian.
When was the last time she has been to a Divine Liturgy?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »

I don't know.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »

So what about the canon that if you miss the Divine Liturgy for 3 weeks you are excommunicated?

Or does it not matter in the St. Sophia Cathedral since so many celebs go there, is there a clause for that?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »

This thread is sad.  Did we miss liturgy on March 3rd?
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »

But we don't want the Orthodox Church to turn into a Destination Wedding venue for Hollywood celebs.  I think it is fair to ask questions about things that are out there already, like their history of marriages.  Because for most non-Orthodox and non-Christians, this is the only time they will even peek into our Church.  Why would we want to give them a bad or wrong impression?

REAL WORLD ALERT: Destination Wedding is a common event in most parishes.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »

Look! Publicity! We're a normal religion that marries agnostic celebrities and is okay with no-fault divorce too! Like us, please!!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:17:49 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:31 PM »

This thread is sad.  Did we miss liturgy on March 3rd?

It's not sad. It's sick and one of the most embarrassing I've seen here in a decade.

Too many stones being cast here for no reason whatsoever.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »

So is anyone going to clarify if I'm in the wrong?

I was just honestly asking, no motive or intentions involved.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:57 PM »

So what about the canon that if you miss the Divine Liturgy for 3 weeks you are excommunicated?

Or does it not matter in the St. Sophia Cathedral since so many celebs go there, is there a clause for that?

The lovely Ms. Aniston may have been in church last Sunday.

Please tell me, which of the Holy Orthodox Churches today excommunicates (or has them worship from the Narthex--I can't recall the sanction from this canon) its faithful who are in violation of the canon you cited?  If you would respond that those who miss three consecutive Sunday Divine Liturgy services are automatically excommunicated, I submit they are admitted to Holy Communion, routinely, by priests and bishops.

By the way, I am my parish's (500 members +/-) Chanter for sacraments, and have been in excess of 37 years.  I frequently do not recognize the marital couple, or often, recognize them from their youth when their parents brought them to church and they attended Sunday Church School.  It is quite common for couples to join the church for the purpose of their wedding.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:10:45 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »

So is anyone going to clarify if I'm in the wrong?

I was just honestly asking, no motive or intentions involved.

Excommunication based on the cited canonical authority is not a one way ticket out of the Church. Reconciliation through repentance, confession and absolution are the means by which one may cure one's spiritual illnesses and return to the fullness of the faith. Are any of us such that we may cast the proverbial first stone? If Ms. Aniston is indeed a fallen away soul, and I daresay no one here knows that, instead of being snarky and mean spirited about this we should rejoice and be glad, just like the father of the prodigal son. Don't any of you listen to the readings and homilies leading up to the Fast?

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 11:20:09 PM »

The lovely Ms. Aniston may have been in church last Sunday.

Please tell me, which of the Holy Orthodox Churches today excommunicates (or has them worship from the Narthex--I can't recall the sanction from this canon) its faithful who are in violation of the canon you cited?  If you would respond that those who miss three consecutive Sunday Divine Liturgy services are automatically excommunicated, I submit they are admitted to Holy Communion, routinely, by priests and bishops.

By the way, I am my parish's (500 members +/-) Chanter for sacraments, and have been in excess of 37 years.  I frequently do not recognize the marital couple, or often, recognize them from their youth when their parents brought them to church and they attended Sunday Church School.  It is quite common for couples to join the church for the purpose of their wedding.

My experiences are similar at my parish.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »

The only person who is being snarky is you.

All I asked were some questions.

So an Orhtodox Christian can be one that hasn't been to Church in 20 years, but in that period of time can you really call them Orthodox?

Yes we should be happy like the prodigal son, but there seems to be a whole lot of assumptions here based on where she stands religiously.

All I asked were hypotheticals.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »

It's none if our business when and how often she's attended Liturgy. That's between her, God and her pastor/Father Confessor.

Judge not, lest you be judged.

As for the canon, I believe said person is readmitted to the fold via Holy Confession.

Besides this particular canon, there are dozens we don't uphold these days.  Let us hope we won't be judged too harshly for that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:48:23 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 11:46:16 PM »

So an Orhtodox Christian can be one that hasn't been to Church in 20 years, but in that period of time can you really call them Orthodox?

Yes we should be happy like the prodigal son, but there seems to be a whole lot of assumptions here based on where she stands religiously.

To what end?

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »

Perhaps. Or perhaps she feels a longing to give her marriage a more meaningful dimension.

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 12:06:56 AM »

It's none if our business when and how often she's attended Liturgy. That's between her, God and her pastor/Father Confessor.

Judge not, lest you be judged.

As for the canon, I believe said person is readmitted to the fold via Holy Confession.

Besides this particular canon, there are dozens we don't uphold these days.  Let us hope we won't be judged too harshly for that.
We judge people all the time, stop with the BS.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 12:07:18 AM »

Perhaps. Or perhaps she feels a longing to give her marriage a more meaningful dimension.
Like yours?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:51 AM »

To what end?
Oh the fact a few here are all open arms on their "return" the Church just because they get married. And somehow in that span of time she is still an Orthodox Christian? So are you saying if I have a lapse of 13 years before taking communion again, that makes me Orthodox?

This kind of goes back to what makes one a Christian. If all it takes to be Orthodox is to show up to Church to get married, well we have much larger problems here and this is exactly systemic of Christianity in the States.

Let's take a guess the next time they take communion after they get married.

Let's not judge them? Yet we judge other folks all the time if they are Christian are not, point the finger right back at yourself physician.

It's ok though, we can't judge celebrities but for others its fine.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:19:43 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 12:27:33 AM »

Oh the fact a few here are all open arms on their "return" the Church just because they get married. And somehow in that span of time she is still an Orthodox Christian? So are you saying if I have a lapse of 13 years before taking communion again, that makes me Orthodox?

If 13 years passed since I received Communion, I wouldn't walk into an Orthodox Church and expect to be communed.  I'd want to talk with an Orthodox Priest and follow his direction which may include Confession or perhaps Chrismation.

This kind of goes back to what makes one a Christian. If all it takes to be Orthodox is to show up to Church to get married, well we have much larger problems here and this is exactly systemic of Christianity in the States.

That's not true.  Do you realize how many fake stories about Jennifer Aniston exist?  For example, she's been expecting a baby for 20 years according to US and People magazines; yet, no baby for Ms. Aniston,

Let's take a guess the next time they take communion after they get married.

Maybe you need to worry about the next time you receive Communion.

Let's not judge them? Yet we judge other folks all the time if they are Christian are not, point the finger right back at yourself physician.

It's ok though, we can't judge celebrities but for others its fine.

Are you under a penance or something?   Huh
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »

Note I'm not attacking Jen.

I'm addressing the issue of what makes one Orthodox?

She can do whatever she wants for all I care.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »

Note I'm not attacking Jen.

I'm addressing the issue of what makes one Orthodox?

She can do whatever she wants for all I care.

That question has caused a lot of grief throughout history.  If you have doubts, ask your Priest.   Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: