OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 03:52:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Next Pope & the Latin Mass ..  (Read 3832 times) Average Rating: 0
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« on: March 05, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »

Benedict was a champion of the Old Mass, the True Mass, the Traditional Latin Mass.

And it is thriving and appealing  to many of the younger people and young families everywhere desperate for  the real faith and devotion unlike the the "New" Mass and the Church of "nice" complete with it's clown "Masses" and tolerent "gay-friendly" exhibitions passed off as a form of the liturgy. While the old Norvus Ordo parishes are closing and the churches are razed, those with the Latin Mass are flourishing and gaining members all the time, many with large young families.

The question, does the next Pope continue to support the TLM  for a strong future or do we get another aging hippy and disciple of "nice" and tolerance (except for tradition of course) while supporting the bastardized form of the True Mass and the eventual extinction of the Norvus Ordo crowd when they eventually die off and their chruches leveled or turned into heretical, prot monstrosities or perhaps even Mosques.

As Voris states in the video, will Tradition, who defends the Faith more rigoursly, have an ally with the new Pope? Will he understand that that the future of the Church firmly remains rooted in the past?

We shall see.

http://www.churchmilitant.tv/daily/?today=2013-03-04

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »

Anything from Trent is already a break in Tradition.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »

Spoken like a true schismatic.

But where is your proof?

one month for calling choy a schismatic and attacking him.  This is not to be tolerated. -username! Orthodox Catholic section moderator.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:47:39 PM by username! » Logged

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »

Benedict was a champion of the Old Mass, the True Mass, the Traditional Latin Mass.

And it is thriving and appealing  to many of the younger people and young families everywhere desperate for  the real faith and devotion unlike the the "New" Mass and the Church of "nice" complete with it's clown "Masses" and tolerent "gay-friendly" exhibitions passed off as a form of the liturgy. While the old Norvus Ordo parishes are closing and the churches are razed, those with the Latin Mass are flourishing and gaining members all the time, many with large young families.

The question, does the next Pope continue to support the TLM  for a strong future or do we get another aging hippy and disciple of "nice" and tolerance (except for tradition of course) while supporting the bastardized form of the True Mass and the eventual extinction of the Norvus Ordo crowd when they eventually die off and their chruches leveled or turned into heretical, prot monstrosities or perhaps even Mosques.

As Voris states in the video, will Tradition, who defends the Faith more rigoursly, have an ally with the new Pope? Will he understand that that the future of the Church firmly remains rooted in the past?

We shall see.

I see plenty of Novus Ordo parishes thriving in Chicago.

But where is your proof?
Trent. And the Lateran.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:16:05 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »

And it is thriving and appealing  to many of the younger people and young families everywhere desperate for  the real faith and devotion unlike the the "New" Mass and the Church of "nice" complete with it's clown "Masses" and tolerent "gay-friendly" exhibitions passed off as a form of the liturgy. While the old Norvus Ordo parishes are closing and the churches are razed, those with the Latin Mass are flourishing and gaining members all the time, many with large young families.

The question, does the next Pope continue to support the TLM  for a strong future or do we get another aging hippy and disciple of "nice" and tolerance (except for tradition of course) while supporting the bastardized form of the True Mass and the eventual extinction of the Norvus Ordo crowd when they eventually die off and their chruches leveled or turned into heretical, prot monstrosities or perhaps even Mosques.

We shall see.

I love how you refer to the TLM as the "True Mass," as if there is no other real mass. It's quite silly. There is the NO, the Byzantine Liturgy, etc etc etc.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »

We shall see.

I love how you refer to the TLM as the "True Mass," as if there is no other real mass. It's quite silly. There is the NO, the Byzantine Liturgy, etc etc etc.

He's going to tell you that they're all invalid.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »

We shall see.

He's going to tell you that they're all invalid.
On the contrary, I've heard the Byzantine is quite valid.

But I admit that I know nothing about it.

choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »

But where is your proof?

Says the SSPXer.

At least we Orthodox do not pretend with our feelings about the Pope.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

Let me guess, the immigrant or ethnic ones.

All the old ethinc and americanized parishes around me are closing but a few.

The ones that provide the trad Mass are the strongest.

choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »

But where is your proof?

Trent was a counter-reformation council.  It changed the very character of the Roman Church.  Instead of being true to their identity, they responded from every Protestant polemic and tried to distance themselves from it.  Trent was the start of the long road downhill towards where the Roman Church is today.  Vatican II wasn't an abrupt change, it was the fruit of what began at Trent.
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »

Yes, all 1 of them.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »

But where is your proof?

Says the SSPXer.

At least we Orthodox do not pretend with our feelings about the Pope.
I'm not SSPX.

And you don't accept the Chair of Peter to begin with.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »

But where is your proof?

Trent was a counter-reformation council.  It changed the very character of the Roman Church.  Instead of being true to their identity, they responded from every Protestant polemic and tried to distance themselves from it.  Trent was the start of the long road downhill towards where the Roman Church is today.  Vatican II wasn't an abrupt change, it was the fruit of what began at Trent.
Trent just confirmed what the Church always taught as opposed to Protestantism.

VII tried to become Protestant in an attempt to win the heretics back which had the opposite effect.

choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »

I'm not SSPX.

You don't accept the one who sits on it.
choy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

But where is your proof?

VII tried to become Protestant in an attempt to win the heretics back which had the opposite effect.

Nope, it radically changed the nature of the Roman Church.  Notice also in RC history you hardly hear anything pre-Trent.  As if the Church never existed.  There are the lives of a few saints talked about, St. Augustine, St. Aquinas, St. Francis of Assisi.  But overall Trent was a break in tradition that the Church doesn't even speak about.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »

In diocese, the TLM parish is limping along. The NO parish that I some times attend, which has very reverent liturgy, is thriving. It's not just the Latin mass that makes the faith.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »

AFAIR it's the first time Charles Martel is discussing theology instead of homosexuality. This needs a celebration.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »

But where is your proof?

Do you blieve that Pope Benedict XVI was a real Pope?

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »

AFAIR it's the first time Charles Martel is discussing theology instead of homosexuality. This needs a celebration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enSzV0QJPMs

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »

But where is your proof?

Nope, it radically changed the nature of the Roman Church.  Notice also in RC history you hardly hear anything pre-Trent.  As if the Church never existed.  There are the lives of a few saints talked about, St. Augustine, St. Aquinas, St. Francis of Assisi.  But overall Trent was a break in tradition that the Church doesn't even speak about.

What do you mean by that?  What constitutes hearing "anything pre-Trent"?  I find constant and frequent references to pre-Trent saints, writers, etc.  Please clarify.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »

Yeah, Choy. You know St. Augustine is pre-Trent. Don't be silly.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

But where is your proof?

Hmmm, interesting since the great scholasticts were all pre-trent: Sts. Thomas Aquinas, Bonaventure, Albert the Great, etc, etc. What about ol' Augustine? And St. Thomas reguarly quotes psuedo-dionysius, St. John of Damascus, and St. John Chrysostom, etc.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »

I guess you don't read all (or even very many) of his posts, then.  If you have done so you couldn't truthfully make that statement.  (Or maybe you just read them selectively, searching for references to homosexuality--c'mon, Michal  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:07:26 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 01:08:36 PM »

But where is your proof?

Hmmm, interesting since the great scholasticts were all pre-trent: Sts. Thomas Aquinas, Bonaventure, Albert the Great, etc, etc. What about ol' Augustine? And St. Thomas reguarly quotes psuedo-dionysius, St. John of Damascus, and St. John Chrysostom, etc.

Choy is a man on a mission.  Grin

choy
Archon

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »

Yeah, Choy. You know St. Augustine is pre-Trent. Don't be silly.

I just mentioned him in my post.  I hope you didn't stop reading it halfway through.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »

I'm not SSPX.

and just who is that at present?

choy
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »

Fair enough, but aside from drawing from teachings of specific Latin Fathers, my point was there seems to be a huge vacuum pre-Trent.  It's like outerspace, the Latin Fathers are the planets, but in between them there is just empty space.  Was history just not recorded, or intentionally forgotten?  Even the history of the Mass seems to be a mystery to most, pre Trent.
choy
Archon

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »

I'm not SSPX.

Ah yes, that is why all schismatic sedevacantists (SSPX included) are rejoicing right now when they can come out of the sedevacantist closet.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »

I'm not SSPX.

Not the future resident of the vat....oh wait...this is gonna be another

thing isnt it?

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »

In diocese, the TLM parish is limping along. The NO parish that I some times attend, which has very reverent liturgy, is thriving. It's not just the Latin mass that makes the faith.
I believe the TLM is the more true form of the Mass. I used to attend a parish that had a very "reverent" form of the liturgy as well but the old priests retired or died off and now they're getting some more liberal priests there complete with altar girls, women lecters and Eucharistic "ministers" administering at communion. No one seems to kneel anymore when they are recieving and just about everyone takes the Host in hand which to me is extremely improper. Things have just gone from bad to worse I'd say in the last 4-5 yrs which is about how long I've been attending the TLM and the one that I attend is strong and getting stronger all the time.

But I know the local bishop hates it and so do a lot of his hippies in white collars from the sixites.

But a lot of the younger ones being ordained are eager to learn and provide the Old Mass.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »

Fair enough, but aside from drawing from teachings of specific Latin Fathers, my point was there seems to be a huge vacuum pre-Trent.  It's like outerspace, the Latin Fathers are the planets, but in between them there is just empty space.  Was history just not recorded, or intentionally forgotten?  Even the history of the Mass seems to be a mystery to most, pre Trent.

Seek and you shall find.  It ain't even difficult.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »

I think with you homosexuality is theology....... Grin

But you're wrong about me as usual Michal.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:36:59 PM by Charles Martel » Logged

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »

But where is your proof?

Do you blieve that Pope Benedict XVI was a real Pope?
Yes.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »

I guess you don't read all (or even very many) of his posts, then.  If you have done so you couldn't truthfully make that statement.  (Or maybe you just read them selectively, searching for references to homosexuality--c'mon, Michal  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.)
I'm glad someone else is noticing other than my he-man haters fan club J Michael. Wink

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »

What about all the Fathers whom Aquinas references?

choy
Archon

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »

Really?  Been searching for 3 years.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »

Really?  Been searching for 3 years.

Yeah, really.

Broaden the scope of your search, if you are genuinely interested, that is.  There are vast numbers of references to pre-Trent saints and other writers in the Catholic literature.  And not just "Latin Fathers", either---as if there was something wrong with them. 

cateran

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: UK

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »

Yep. He loved it so much that he never once offered it publicly himself. Nor is there any evidence that he ever did so in private.

That aside, he was a terrific champion of the TLM.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »

Yep. He loved it so much that he never once offered it publicly himself. Nor is there any evidence that he ever did so in private.

He's the one who made so that every parish must make it available if the faithful want it.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »

Yep. He loved it so much that he never once offered it publicly himself.

Interesting, although I'm not sure if it means what you think it means.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »

Can you qualify that statement for sure?

At any rate, I'm sure he publicly performed more than a few pre-Vat II.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »

How can one prove something was NOT done?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 04:53:59 PM »

Yep. He loved it so much that he never once offered it publicly himself.

Interesting, although I'm not sure if it means what you think it means.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »

How can one prove something was NOT done?
Maybe providing a simple article or sentence that states just that?

But hey,I'll just take his word at face value I guess. Roll Eyes

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »

I don't know how to say this without sounding patronizing but to me that sounds like Catholics need to be worried whether your own primate will be a Catholic or not. I'm really sorry for you if that's the case. It seems that Catholics have pretty much lost the idea of "Tradition" and everything is about pope and what he is saying or isn't saying.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: