OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 10:26:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Next Pope & the Latin Mass ..  (Read 4585 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »

IOW, they're doing this:

The only reason we have to do this is because your distortions are the like some one scratching a chalkbord.
Truth one doesn't want to hear always rings unpleasant.
You must know this from experience. How painful is it to you?
When I left Lutheranism, not painful at all.  The balm of Orthodoxy heals all wounds.
Your attacks on Catholics are still very Lutheran. Are you sure you converted?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2013, 01:16:29 PM »

Hmm ... do we really want to get into the Who's-Lutheran question here?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »

IOW, they're doing this:

The only reason we have to do this is because your distortions are the like some one scratching a chalkbord.
When I left Lutheranism, not painful at all.  The balm of Orthodoxy heals all wounds.
Quite sure. Have you?
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,50261.0.html

Apologists for the Vatican are always saying that the Orthodox are just like the Protestants. After all, we both expose the sovereign of Vatican city and his claims for what they are, how can it be otherwise?  Roll Eyes

So, pray tell, what differentiates a Lutheran "attack" from an Orthodox "attack" on the Vatican?

If you can't make the distinction, then that exposes the "very Lutheran" for the ad hominem attack that it is.

Followers of the Vatican cannot demonstrate the papal dictate, just give it "religious submission of mind and will...in religious assent."
You are Eastern Orthodox.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:33:39 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2013, 01:29:45 PM »

IOW, they're doing this:

When I left Lutheranism, not painful at all.  The balm of Orthodoxy heals all wounds.
Quite sure. Have you?

Apologists for the Vatican are always saying that the Orthodox are just like the Protestants.

Not all of us.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »

IOW, they're doing this:

When I left Lutheranism, not painful at all.  The balm of Orthodoxy heals all wounds.
Quite sure. Have you?

Apologists for the Vatican are always saying that the Orthodox are just like the Protestants. After all, we both expose the sovereign of Vatican city and his claims for what they are, how can it be otherwise?  Roll Eyes

So, pray tell, what differentiates a Lutheran "attack" from an Orthodox "attack" on the Vatican?

If you can't make the distinction, then that exposes the "very Lutheran" for the ad hominem attack that it is.

Followers of the Vatican cannot demonstrate the papal dictate, just give it "religious submission of mind and will...in religious assent."
I don't think that all Orthodox are protestants. I only think those who continue the Protestant attack on Catholics are Protestants.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

Might it be that the Reformers got most of their arguments against the Papacy from the Eastern Orthodox?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »

Might it be that the Reformers got most of their arguments against the Papacy from the Eastern Orthodox?
That's not what I am talking about. What I am talking about is Isa's irrational rage against "The Vatican."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:58:50 PM by Papist » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »

Quite possible.  But remember the EO and the Protestants have different views on the Papacy.  We still view the Pope as a bishop that is necessary for the Church, albeit we do not agree with how his role is defined and even dogmatized.  Most Protestants don't even believe in the Episcopacy.  They don't reject the Pope because of universal ordinary jurisdiction or supremacy or infallibility.  They reject the Papacy because they reject the Episcopacy overall.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »

IOW, they're doing this:

Quite sure. Have you?

I don't think that all Orthodox are protestants. I only think those who continue the Protestant attack on Catholics are Protestants.
The Protestants came into existence in 1517 (a century or so earlier, if you count the Waldensians).  The Catholics have been forming the Orthodox resistance to Ultramontanism ever since it took over Old Rome, e.g. St. Photios the Great Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1424683/posts
centuries earlier than the Lutheran Book of Concorde's "Treatise on the Power and Primacy of the Pop"
http://bookofconcord.org/treatise.php
or if you prefer the orginal Latin
http://bookofconcord.org/pdf/triglotta_book_of_concord_pp267-1285_german_latin_only.pdf
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:30:44 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2013, 02:06:12 PM »

IOW, they're doing this:

Quite sure. Have you?

When you constantly engage in irrational and rude attacks on the Catholic Church, that betrays a very protestant mindset.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »

Quite possible.  But remember the EO and the Protestants have different views on the Papacy.  We still view the Pope as a bishop that is necessary for the Church, albeit we do not agree with how his role is defined and even dogmatized.  Most Protestants don't even believe in the Episcopacy.  They don't reject the Pope because of universal ordinary jurisdiction or supremacy or infallibility.  They reject the Papacy because they reject the Episcopacy overall.

Yes, that is so. Yet I think that the early Reformers got many of their arguments against the Papacy from the Eastern Orthodox, and not the other way around. Calling EO attacks on the RC's "protestant" seems weird to me.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2013, 02:14:05 PM »

Quite possible.  But remember the EO and the Protestants have different views on the Papacy.  We still view the Pope as a bishop that is necessary for the Church, albeit we do not agree with how his role is defined and even dogmatized.  Most Protestants don't even believe in the Episcopacy.  They don't reject the Pope because of universal ordinary jurisdiction or supremacy or infallibility.  They reject the Papacy because they reject the Episcopacy overall.

Yes, that is so. Yet I think that the early Reformers got many of their arguments against the Papacy from the Eastern Orthodox, and not the other way around. Calling EO attacks on the RC's "protestant" seems weird to me.
Again, I'm this is not what I'm referring to. It's Izzy's overall rude and irrational attack on Cathoclicism which is very protestant. The reason Protestants exist is to protest the Catholic Church. This seems to be Izzy's reason for being here.
From the Rules Page:
* Contain Conflict --  With religious discussion, disagreement is inevitable.  Please be civil and keep conflict (provided it's on topic) within the thread it was posted in.  If your conflict seems to be taking a thread off of its course, please start a new one.

This running feud you've been having with ialmisry the last few days has now spanned three different threads on at least two different sections of this forum, thus putting you in clear violation of the rule I cited above. Considering your long rap sheet of penalties for repeated conflicts with others and personal attacks on others, I am hereby placing you on Post Moderation for the next 99 days. Do this again, and you will likely be muted.

If you deem this action wrong, please feel free to appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:01:12 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »

Oh definitely.  Didn't some of the early Protestants try to forge an alliance with the EO to battle Rome (in a theological debate sense)?  The funny thing I found when I was Catholic and listening to all the rhetorics and polemics against the Catholic Church, the anti-Catholics would actually side with one another and agree on whatever they can dish against the Roman Catholic Church.  They would even side with the Restorationists and the Muslims.  And like my question on the thread about Mary having more children, most of these attacks don't even have a basis in their own belief.  They just adopt them to attack the RCs even though it has no bearing in their own beliefs.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »

IOW, they're doing this:

Quite sure. Have you?

When you constantly engage in irrational and rude attacks on the Catholic Church, that betrays a very protestant mindset.
Sic Papistus dixit ex cathedra March 8, 2013 +

Engaging in irrational rude attacks in protest betrays that you have lost the argument.
From the Rules Page:
* Contain Conflict --  With religious discussion, disagreement is inevitable.  Please be civil and keep conflict (provided it's on topic) within the thread it was posted in.  If your conflict seems to be taking a thread off of its course, please start a new one.

This running feud you've been having with Papist the last few days has now spanned three different threads on at least two different sections of this forum, thus putting you in clear violation of the rule I cited above. Considering your rap sheet of repeated penalties for conflicts with others, I am hereby placing you on Post Moderation for the next 30 days.

If you deem this action wrong, please feel free to appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:09:21 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

We still view the Pope as a bishop that is necessary for the Church,

Not sure who do you mean by "we". Eastern Orthodox Christian do not view bishop of Rome to  be necessary at all. We are without him for about 1k years and are doing just fine.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2013, 02:36:56 PM »

I thought that he meant to say that the Church needs the office of the bishop.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
choy
Archon

« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »

We still view the Pope as a bishop that is necessary for the Church,

Not sure who do you mean by "we". Eastern Orthodox Christian do not view bishop of Rome to  be necessary at all. We are without him for about 1k years and are doing just fine.

Okay, let me break it down for you here.

We view that a bishop is necessary for a Church.  And the Pope is such a bishop.
Protestants, at least most of them, not all, do not even believe that a bishop is necesary.

Clearer?
choy
Archon

« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »

I thought that he meant to say that the Church needs the office of the bishop.

Thank you.  I was worried my choice of words were wrong.  I guess they are just a bit confusing.  But you understood what I was saying, thanks.  Smiley
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »

Quite possible.  But remember the EO and the Protestants have different views on the Papacy.  We still view the Pope as a bishop that is necessary for the Church, albeit we do not agree with how his role is defined and even dogmatized.  Most Protestants don't even believe in the Episcopacy.  They don't reject the Pope because of universal ordinary jurisdiction or supremacy or infallibility.  They reject the Papacy because they reject the Episcopacy overall.

Again, I'm this is not what I'm referring to. It's Izzy's
who?
overall rude and irrational attack on Cathoclicism which is very protestant.
an ad hominem attack is rude and irrational.

You have the links to a Protestant/Lutheran attack on the Vatican, and an refutation of the Vatican's claims by the pillar of Orthodoxy, St. Photius the Great

The reason Protestants exist is to protest the Catholic Church.
It seems that you agree with the Protestants: they assUmed, as shown by the correspondence of the Tubingen Lutheran theologians with EP Jeremiah II, the same assertion you are making, and concluded that they and Orthodoxy were one and the same.  The EP disabused them of such folly.

This seems to be Izzy's
who?
reason for being here.
I'm just here as a Catholic defending the Orthodox Faith.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:39:19 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »

IOW, they're doing this:

Quite sure. Have you?

Yes, I remember that "Papist is really a Lutheran" thread. Can't say I was sorry to see the mods lock it.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »

If you mean most of their best arguments, I'd say Yes.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »

We view that a bishop is necessary for a Church.

Specified bishop? No.

And the Pope is such a bishop.

Roman Pope? There isn't one.
choy
Archon

« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »

Specified bishop? No.

Where did I say that?  I said A bishop.  And St. Ignatius of Antioch teaches that.

There is, and he is in schism from us.  But he is still a bishop.  He is not an Orthodox bishop, but he is a bishop.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »

Specified bishop? No.

Yes, the "sede" is currently, and temporarily, "vacant".  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
choy
Archon

« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

ULTRA-TRADDIE!!!!

Grin
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »

ULTRA-TRADDIE!!!!

Grin
Speaking of Traddies, some of the traditioinalists over at another forum called me a "modernist" yeterstday.  Cheesy

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »

ULTRA-TRADDIE!!!!

Grin

laugh laugh laugh

Well, as a Byzantine Catholic, I do love my Eastern traditions!!  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
choy
Archon

« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2013, 03:56:17 PM »

ULTRA-TRADDIE!!!!

Grin
Speaking of Traddies, some of the traditioinalists over at another forum called me a "modernist" yeterstday.  Cheesy

I'm starting to like you now  Grin
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »

ULTRA-TRADDIE!!!!

Grin

You must be doin' something right if you've got the traddies and the anti-traddies mad at you  Cheesy.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »

There is, and he is in schism from us.  But he is still a bishop.

Do you consider Abp of Canterbury a Bishop too?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »

Shocked

That must be a pretty traditionalist forum.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »

ULTRA-TRADDIE!!!!

Grin

What's not to like about Papist?  Wink  (Isa, don't answer that  Grin!)

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »

ULTRA-TRADDIE!!!!

Grin

I can't: "papism" is a forbidden word.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »

ULTRA-TRADDIE!!!!

Grin

You must be doin' something right if you've got the traddies and the anti-traddies mad at you  Cheesy.
or maybe I'm just awful and everyone is mad at me.  Grin

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

Oh, I've been there. Smiley Well, I don't recall whether they ever called me by that specific term, but that's the gist of what a lot of Catholics (including some that I don't think are really traditional themselves) on Catholic fora think of me.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2013, 05:22:47 PM »

Or maybe Traddies are just normal traddie, and ultra-traddies are really modernists with such guilt over the matter that they pretend to be traddies.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »

Or maybe Traddies are just normal traddie, and ultra-traddies are really modernists with such guilt over the matter that they pretend to be traddies.
Yes

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »

"papism" is a forbidden word.

Hmmm ... maybe after all these years, we should start a "Change Papist's Screenname" campaign.

Smiley :thoughful:  Cool

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »

I thought "Papism" was only forbidden by the Southern Baptists and the Presbyterians...

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

I thought "Papism" was only forbidden by the Southern Baptists and the Presbyterians...

Yes, but forbidden nonetheless.  Isa didn't qualify it any further than that.  Grin

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »

I suppose it's proper but improper- like adding the Pope's name to the great litany for vespers at home, then realising you're not supposed to say the great litany for readers services.  Shocked

choy
Archon

« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »

The fact that his username got me banned from CAF  Grin Grin Grin
choy
Archon

« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »

There is, and he is in schism from us.  But he is still a bishop.

Do you consider Abp of Canterbury a Bishop too?

If the Pope become Orthodox, will be he reordained or be treated as just a layman?
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »

How the heck did *that* happen??

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »

Welcome to the ranks of our group of those illustrous men banished from CAF.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: