OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:31:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jews and their wives  (Read 1609 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« on: March 04, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »

Hi,
Ive heard/read that the Jews can marry up to 4 wives providing they can financially maintain them all.However, I believe this has now been abolished to be in line with "the modern world". I wanted to know, Is polygamy allowed according to the Jewish Law?If this is the case, then this was changed in the New Testament, is this right?

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »

That's a lie. That's the Muslims who can marry up to four wives, and they probably put words in the Jewish people's mouths, to make up for the fact that Islam did not exist until centuries after Christ.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »

That's a lie. That's the Muslims who can marry up to four wives, and they probably put words in the Jewish people's mouths, to make up for the fact that Islam did not exist until centuries after Christ.
Please read, this is from the Jews forum.

http://www.jewswithquestions.com/index.php?/topic/208-having-multiple-wives/
http://judaism.about.com/od/torah/f/multiplewives.htm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:19:28 PM by andrewlya » Logged

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »

Well, Jews today are monogamous. The only people who still say it's okay to marry up to four people are certain Muslim countries, and a few other places where polygamy is legal. It's not legal in the U.S. or in Israel, which have the largest populations of Jews.

You please read, before you go posting these things. I've never met a Jew who said it was okay to be polygamous, in the present day. It may have been accepted in ancient times, but there is no way it's okay with them today. No mainstream or Orthodox groups, anyway.

andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »

Well, Jews today are monogamous. The only people who still say it's okay to marry up to four people are certain Muslim countries, and a few other places where polygamy is legal. It's not legal in the U.S. or in Israel, which have the largest populations of Jews.

You please read, before you go posting these things. I've never met a Jew who said it was okay to be polygamous, in the present day. It may have been accepted in ancient times, but there is no way it's okay with them today. No mainstream or Orthodox groups, anyway.

The Jews used to marry multiple wives in the past before it's got abolished if you read the links.

My questions is not whether they are allowed now, All I want to know is whether the Jewish law in the Torah actually allows to have more than one wife..

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »

All I want to know is whether the Jewish law in the Torah actually allows to have more than one wife..

The Torah obviously does since there are countless examples of people in the Old Testament who had more than one wife.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/558598/jewish/Does-Jewish-law-forbid-polygamy.htm

There ya go, horse's mouth and all.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »

All I want to know is whether the Jewish law in the Torah actually allows to have more than one wife..

The Torah obviously does since there are countless examples of people in the Old Testament who had more than one wife.

Doesn't mean they were approved of. Probably they were imitating the pagans around them.

How many people were in the Garden of Eden, by comparison?

Just two. That was the original concept. The only one picked by God. Everything else... you're guessing.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

The only thing condemned in the scriptures on Polygamy is that a Bishop must only have one wife.  This part is ignored in the EO church, and bishops are not allowed to have a wife.

This means that polygamy was basically condemned by a council of men (bishops), none which were married.

Morally I do not find anything wrong with polygamy, I do believe it to be biblical and fine for men to practice.  *Note* this does not mean I believe in group sex.  This means biblical polygamy.  This is where a man is married to multiple women, loves and cares for them all.   Nothing about being a bully, dictator, etc.  This means that his wives love him, and he loves them.  They all work as a family.

Now, to stave off the questions, YES my wife agrees with me and says she is perfectly open to polygamy if that is where I feel God is calling me.  However, I personally do not believe God is calling me to have more than my wife, as I do not desire other women emotionally or physically.  I'm extremely happy in a monogamous marriage and want no more.  Plus the honey-do list from two women would be incredible Wink

As far as legality, I don't want to get into the issues because they could be considered political.  However, I can state that the laws vary by state.  Some states say it is okay so long as on paper the man is married to one wife, and the others just through his religion.  Some states say that a man can't consider himself married to multiple women period.  Some are more concerned about tax status, financial, etc.

As far as a woman with multiple husbands, this is not biblical.   Since the biblical structure is for the man to show love but lead his family, and the wife or wives submitting.  Also if there were two husbands and a woman were to get pregnant, without MODERN Science involved you would not know who the father was.  It would ruin the concept of biblical lineage.  On the flip side, a man with two wives, you would know who the father was.

It's not a popular way to think in our modern culture.... I don't have an issue with it myself, but certainly it is not my cup of tea.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:56:59 PM »

Actually, many Sephardic, Yemenite, and Mizrahi Jews still support polygamy.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »

How dare you contradict Biro...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »

First I've heard of it.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »

I think it is the Muslims who in present times can marry up to four wives. Most modern day sects of Judaism are monogamous--save a few really old-school groups. In ancient times, however, Jews were allowed to have multiple wives. The Torah even condones it. The New Testament as well says nothing to suggest that marriage is now supposed to be monogamous. One could argue that they didn't have to, since it was already taken for granted due to the fact that the Roman empire only allowed monogamous marriage I believe. But that seems like kind of a speculative argument. Personally, this is another one of the things that the Church teaches which I have trouble accepting because the reasoning seems weak, such as a condemnation against fornication--which, is a later meaning we applied to the word. The original word meant temple prostitution, or the condemnation against homosexuality. Funny how the male g-spot is located in the anus...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »

Morally I do not find anything wrong with polygamy, I do believe it to be biblical and fine for men to practice.  *Note* this does not mean I believe in group sex.  This means biblical polygamy.  This is where a man is married to multiple women, loves and cares for them all.   Nothing about being a bully, dictator, etc.  This means that his wives love him, and he loves them.  They all work as a family.

Now, to stave off the questions, YES my wife agrees with me and says she is perfectly open to polygamy if that is where I feel God is calling me.  However, I personally do not believe God is calling me to have more than my wife, as I do not desire other women emotionally or physically.  I'm extremely happy in a monogamous marriage and want no more.  Plus the honey-do list from two women would be incredible Wink

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:30 PM »

No offense to anyone, but contrary to what most people think, I believe that God in the Old Testament was actually more appealing than God in the New Testament. The OT God was much more simple and basic with His instructions for us, making it very clear what He wanted us to do and not to do, and leaving open room for error because He knew how hard it is (as much as people don't want to admit it) to stay monogamous or to wait until marriage for sex, which is why if you had sex with someone before marriage, He only required that you married each other. God in the NT is much more confusing, strict, abstract and depressing.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »

In Judaism there is a pricipal "the law of the land is the law"; if a civil law doesn't case you violate G-d's law, it must be obeyed. Since polygamy is illegal in most countries today Jews must obey that law and have only one wife.I've read that some Sephardic, Yemenite, and Mizrahi Jews living in countries where polygamy is legal and a few do practice polygamy. There is nothing in the Torah that forbids this. these are mostly living in isolated rural areas. Also since polygamy is illegal in Isreal, most Jews in these countries don't practice polygamy since it would cause problems if they ever wanted to move there.

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »

In Judaism there is a pricipal "the law of the land is the law"; if a civil law doesn't case you violate G-d's law, it must be obeyed. Since polygamy is illegal in most countries today Jews must obey that law and have only one wife.I've read that some Sephardic, Yemenite, and Mizrahi Jews living in countries where polygamy is legal and a few do practice polygamy. There is nothing in the Torah that forbids this. these are mostly living in isolated rural areas. Also since polygamy is illegal in Isreal, most Jews in these countries don't practice polygamy since it would cause problems if they ever wanted to move there.
Illegal?  There are numerous polygamous families in Palestine.  And if, "the law of the land is the land" and they think that the Torah gives them that land, and the Torah allows polygamy, well....

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »

Illegal?  There are numerous polygamous families in Palestine.  And if, "the law of the land is the land" and they think that the Torah gives them that land, and the Torah allows polygamy, well....
I was refering to isreali civil law.

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »

no such animal when it comes to marriage. Or Orthodox Judaism.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »

Right.  I didn't mean to imply that if you ran into a Sephardic Jew in America he was probably a polygamist, only that non-Ashkenazim never banned polygamy, except in so far as their home country did.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:11 AM »

I can accept the fact of a man actually being married to more than one woman at a time (What firghtful thought actually) but that is if they are all in agreement with it and he is financially responsible for all of them and the children. I don't know why the govt would have a hard time with that but yet allow two dudes bind in nuptials and engaging in the most horrid form of sex imaginable. But then again, this is the govt that allows unborn children to be butchered almost to the point of the delivery room.

Anyway, America is rampant with it's own form of "polygamy" with many people having three or four "wives" and "husbands".

The divorce rate is astronomical.

Like the bible says they were" marrying and given in marriage" before they were destroyed.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »

Morally I do not find anything wrong with polygamy, I do believe it to be biblical and fine for men to practice.  *Note* this does not mean I believe in group sex.  This means biblical polygamy.  This is where a man is married to multiple women, loves and cares for them all.   Nothing about being a bully, dictator, etc.  This means that his wives love him, and he loves them.  They all work as a family.

Now, to stave off the questions, YES my wife agrees with me and says she is perfectly open to polygamy if that is where I feel God is calling me.  However, I personally do not believe God is calling me to have more than my wife, as I do not desire other women emotionally or physically.  I'm extremely happy in a monogamous marriage and want no more.  Plus the honey-do list from two women would be incredible Wink

LOL, no kidding.... mine is long enough! 

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »

No offense to anyone, but contrary to what most people think, I believe that God in the Old Testament was actually more appealing than God in the New Testament. The OT God was much more simple and basic with His instructions for us, making it very clear what He wanted us to do and not to do, and leaving open room for error because He knew how hard it is (as much as people don't want to admit it) to stay monogamous or to wait until marriage for sex, which is why if you had sex with someone before marriage, He only required that you married each other. God in the NT is much more confusing, strict, abstract and depressing.

James, a large part of the OT was about establishment with a certain body of people (Jews).  In the NT, there was a plan to spread out the message to all the people of the world.  Much parable was used.   This is because not "every single situation" could possibly be covered. 

For instance, the prodigal son parable, is symbolic.    People fall away from God in all kinds of ways... Drugs, adultery, greed etc., but it illustrates that with a humble heart and in humility our father will accept us back.   The "variable" exists in parable.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »

Yup, Christianity is much harder. So, you are depressed that you are forced right now to choose between lust and love, between the animalistic side of you and the side that was created in His image and likeness. You poor oppressed boy! You will show your Heavenly Father how much you resent such unfair treatment,won't you?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »

Many people are trying to change this to make it in accordance to Halakha law and not Western-influenced laws. Before Israel was invented, I'm sure that there were plenty of polygamist Jews and many Jews who made immigrated to Israel were polygamists.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:17:39 PM by Cantor Krishnich » Logged

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 03:17:26 PM »

I can accept the fact of a man actually being married to more than one woman at a time (What firghtful thought actually) but that is if they are all in agreement with it and he is financially responsible for all of them and the children. I don't know why the govt would have a hard time with that but yet allow two dudes bind in nuptials and engaging in the most horrid form of sex imaginable. But then again, this is the govt that allows unborn children to be butchered almost to the point of the delivery room.

Anyway, America is rampant with it's own form of "polygamy" with many people having three or four "wives" and "husbands".

The divorce rate is astronomical.

Like the bible says they were" marrying and given in marriage" before they were destroyed.

From a legal standpoint, all religion aside, I don't see how you could honestly compare homosexuality to polygamy. The difference is that while from a moral standpoint, homosexuality may be wrong, allowing them to marry monogamously will do nothing to harm the state. However, polygamy can potentially harm the state by costing us more money and even further clogging the divorce court.

Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »

Polygamy is accepted to some degree in Judaism and a few Sefardic, Mizrahi and Yemenite Jews do practice polygamy. The point is, that Christ has fulfilled the old law and we now have a new faith which has a strong ascetic flavor. Polygamy is not in accordance with Orthodoxy because it is not an ascetic practice, it is very self-centered and goes against what we were taught in the epistles and by Christ. Monogamy is more beautiful because it is a reflection of the love Christ has for the Church, a mutual sharing of love between two.     

I don't think Judaic Halakha law makes arguments against polygamy. If I'm not mistaken, although Rambam was personally against polygamy, he didn't completely forbid it in his teachings. The Hasidic and Haredi sects of the Ashkenazic Orthodox Jews are strongly monogamous from what I understand. Israeli law prohibits it in accordance to Western standards but many Halakhic scholars are trying hard to change this to make it in accordance to Halakha law.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16:18 PM »

For instance, the prodigal son parable, is symbolic. . . . but it illustrates that with a humble heart and in humility our father will accept us back.

Only have time to snipe lately, but if you think this is what the parable is about, you need to reread it or choose words that fall within some degree of precision to describe what you think it means.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »

There is no OT God as distinct from a NT God.  Same God.  One God.  One only. 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »

For instance, the prodigal son parable, is symbolic. . . . but it illustrates that with a humble heart and in humility our father will accept us back.

Only have time to snipe lately, but if you think this is what the parable is about, you need to reread it or choose words that fall within some degree of precision to describe what you think it means.
Yeah I thought his interpretation of it was embarrasing to say the least.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »

LOL. Love it. Perfect response for any thread on any internet forum.
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »

I think it is the Muslims who in present times can marry up to four wives. Most modern day sects of Judaism are monogamous--save a few really old-school groups. In ancient times, however, Jews were allowed to have multiple wives. The Torah even condones it. The New Testament as well says nothing to suggest that marriage is now supposed to be monogamous. One could argue that they didn't have to, since it was already taken for granted due to the fact that the Roman empire only allowed monogamous marriage I believe. But that seems like kind of a speculative argument. Personally, this is another one of the things that the Church teaches which I have trouble accepting because the reasoning seems weak, such as a condemnation against fornication--which, is a later meaning we applied to the word. The original word meant temple prostitution, or the condemnation against homosexuality. Funny how the male g-spot is located in the anus...

Actually, it's in the NT where it says when a man and a woman marry each other they become one flesh, they become one. NT doesn't allow polygamy...

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »

Polygamy is accepted to some degree in Judaism and a few Sefardic, Mizrahi and Yemenite Jews do practice polygamy. The point is, that Christ has fulfilled the old law and we now have a new faith which has a strong ascetic flavor. Polygamy is not in accordance with Orthodoxy because it is not an ascetic practice, it is very self-centered and goes against what we were taught in the epistles and by Christ. Monogamy is more beautiful because it is a reflection of the love Christ has for the Church, a mutual sharing of love between two.     

I don't think Judaic Halakha law makes arguments against polygamy. If I'm not mistaken, although Rambam was personally against polygamy, he didn't completely forbid it in his teachings. The Hasidic and Haredi sects of the Ashkenazic Orthodox Jews are strongly monogamous from what I understand. Israeli law prohibits it in accordance to Western standards but many Halakhic scholars are trying hard to change this to make it in accordance to Halakha law.

The Talmud, and many Rabbis since, have pointed out - to varying degrees - how it generally doesn't work out too well, but neither have generally prohibited it.  However Rabbeinu Gershom did, around the year 1000, ban polygamy among European Jews, and this has been accepted by the European Jewish community.  As well, the Shulchan Aruch states that "in a place where it is customary to marry only one wife, he is not permitted to take another wife on top of his present wife.″

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 01:23:35 AM »

Where exactly did he go wrong?

I'm going to need this.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 03:40:44 AM »

For one, in the parable, the Father runs to meet the son before the son even displays any humility. In other words, the forgiveness precedes the repentance. Just as God wants to forgive us before we seek his forgiveness.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »

For one, in the parable, the Father runs to meet the son before the son even displays any humility. In other words, the forgiveness precedes the repentance. Just as God wants to forgive us before we seek his forgiveness.

Not to mention that the elder brother, who refuses to go to the party for the prodigal, insists the father meets him out in the fields (which, leaving one's own party - I am given to understand - would have been a potential embarrassment).  Then he argues with the father, and without any sign of repentance is still invited into the party.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »

The son was already showing humility in his return, the father, however, wasn't angry and fully accepted him.

This is nitpicky anyways to a sentence long internet post. Stop looking for crap to complain about.

I'm going to need this.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 01:10:26 AM »

The son was already showing humility in his return
The father didn't know any of that yet. All he knew was that his son was alive again.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 01:31:28 AM »

Funny how the male g-spot is located in the anus...
HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

I heard most sensitive part is the foreskin, and otherwise the circumcised area. Besides that, in women it's not in the a--s, but elsewhere, and that other place corresponds to male sexual organ.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 01:38:55 AM »

Personally, this is another one of the things that the Church teaches which I have trouble accepting because the reasoning seems weak, such as a condemnation against fornication--which, is a later meaning we applied to the word. The original word meant temple prostitution
The claim that it's a mistranslation isn't strong enough. St Paul says people should get married if their passion for eachother is so strong that they would have sex.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:42:34 AM by rakovsky » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 02:50:49 AM »

The original word meant temple prostitution
I find that extremely unlikely. The whole "temple prostitution was all over the ancient world" thing largely comes from Greek polemics/legends about other peoples (see: Herodotus's account of the Babylonians).

A lot of conservative evangelicals love that argument, because it "justifies" certain OT proscriptions. But its supporters are lacking in archaeological and historical support, at least any support they know about themselves.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 02:55:54 AM »

Billions of males the world over have and will live their lives without using this. I can do it too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:56:14 AM by rakovsky » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 04:49:05 AM »

Billions of males the world over have and will live their lives without using this. I can do it too.

Well why did God put it there if we weren't meant to use it? If homosexuality is so unnatural and bad, why does it seem like our bodies were made for it?

Anyhow, the story of the Prodigal Son is one of the most depressing parables ever. I hate it. The worst is how the good son doesn't receive crap in the end, and it makes me feel like I am toiling and wasting away opportunity for pleasure for no good reason at all, if people could indulge in all the pleasure they want right now and just repent at the end and get a big party for it like the prodigal son.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »

Well why did God put it there if we weren't meant to use it? If homosexuality is so unnatural and bad, why does it seem like our bodies were made for it?
As to your first question, consider: Why did God give us an appendix and tonsils? Why do we have gills briefly when we are in the womb?

They are vestigial organs that are no longer used. I can point out that in more primitive animals the sexual and waste organs are located in the same cavity. I am not sure there is a theological reason behind vestigial organs. However, it is worth considering the possibility that it does serve some normal purpose- directing the organs to the proper place or heightening normal activity. After all, it is not exactly in the a--s, that is just a way to access the prostate.

As to your second question, consider: If some other things in the world are so unnatural and bad, why does it seem like some bodies are meant to do them? There are a number of unnatural or bad things in the world that animals use organs for.

I had some gerbils and occasionally some of them used their big rhodent teeth to chew on their nails. One of them kept going and chewed on his toes. It must have felt attractive to him somehow because next he chewed them off and moved onto his foot. The gerbil kept going and all it had left was a stump.

Perhaps vestigial organs really still do serve some purpose: the appendix, a former intestine, might contain some chemicals that are helpful for digestion. But that does not mean one should pack it with its former material. The same is true for other cavities.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:07:59 PM by rakovsky » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »

How has it switched to another thread about homosexuality?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: