OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 12:39:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jews and their wives  (Read 1592 times) Average Rating: 0
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »

Anyhow, the story of the Prodigal Son is one of the most depressing parables ever. I hate it. The worst is how the good son doesn't receive crap in the end, and it makes me feel like I am toiling and wasting away opportunity for pleasure for no good reason at all, if people could indulge in all the pleasure they want right now and just repent at the end and get a big party for it like the prodigal son.

Huh Are you reading the same Gospel of Luke I am?

And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »

Funny how the male g-spot is located in the anus...
Billions of males the world over have and will live their lives without using this. I can do it too.

Well why did God put it there if we weren't meant to use it? If homosexuality is so unnatural and bad, why does it seem like our bodies were made for it?

Anyhow, the story of the Prodigal Son is one of the most depressing parables ever. I hate it. The worst is how the good son doesn't receive crap in the end, and it makes me feel like I am toiling and wasting away opportunity for pleasure for no good reason at all, if people could indulge in all the pleasure they want right now and just repent at the end and get a big party for it like the prodigal son.
We were not made for it. There is an incredibly high rate of anal cancer among gay men, and this type of sex passes all kinds of bateria and parasites from partner to partner. What is more, because the amount of tear involved in this type of sex, it is a much easier way to contract HIV than regular sex.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

"Jews and their wives" sounds like a some new antisemitist book by Martin Luther.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »

How has it switched to another thread about homosexuality?

I was just wondering that myself...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 05:59:48 PM »

Because JamesR needs to complain about something in every thread and complaining about homosexuality (or lack thereof) is as good a thing as any.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »

The New Testament says nothing to suggest that marriage is now supposed to be monogamous. Personally, this is another one of the things that the Church teaches which I have trouble accepting because the reasoning seems weak, such as... the condemnation against homosexuality.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »

"Jews and their wives" sounds like a some new antisemitist book by Martin Luther.

Whatchu talkin' bout?

Martin Luther loved Jews; that's why he had such a fetish for that Masoretic text bro.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »

For instance, the prodigal son parable, is symbolic. . . . but it illustrates that with a humble heart and in humility our father will accept us back.

Only have time to snipe lately, but if you think this is what the parable is about, you need to reread it or choose words that fall within some degree of precision to describe what you think it means.
Yeah I thought his interpretation of it was embarrasing to say the least.

Where exactly did he go wrong?
For one, in the parable, the Father runs to meet the son before the son even displays any humility. In other words, the forgiveness precedes the repentance. Just as God wants to forgive us before we seek his forgiveness.

Really?  Just coming back was a sign of humility - or humiliation.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »

The son was already showing humility in his return
The father didn't know any of that yet. All he knew was that his son was alive again.

That is a stretch.

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »

How is it that the religion that came up with the soul mate idea allows polygamy?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:06 PM »

The son was already showing humility in his return
The father didn't know any of that yet. All he knew was that his son was alive again.

That is a stretch.
How?

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him."

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:24:15 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »

How is it that the religion that came up with the soul mate idea allows polygamy?
soul mate is not a Christian idea IMO.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »

It is a Jewish idea though.

But some prominent rabbis have expressed the viewpoint that polygamy is allowed by the Torah not because it is good, but simply because it is a recognition of the fact that a man could impregnate two women, one right after another, whereas a woman could not become pregnant by two men at once.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2013, 12:30:25 AM »

But some prominent rabbis have expressed the viewpoint that polygamy is allowed by the Torah not because it is good, but simply because it is a recognition of the fact that a man could impregnate two women, one right after another, whereas a woman could not become pregnant by two men at once.

It has happened.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2013, 02:19:05 AM »

Funny how the male g-spot is located in the anus...
Billions of males the world over have and will live their lives without using this. I can do it too.

Well why did God put it there if we weren't meant to use it? If homosexuality is so unnatural and bad, why does it seem like our bodies were made for it?

James, actually this isn't true.
28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

"you are always with me, and everything I have is yours".   This is incredibly powerful, but the older son was just blind to it.

The prodigal son repented, thus cause of celebration.  The older son has "everything".

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2013, 08:02:15 PM »

Where is it found?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »

Where is it found?

Genesis Rabbah 68 declares that heaven appoints a man's wife.  Then in the Babylonian Talmud, in tractate Sotah 2a, we find the following: Rabbah b. Bar Hanah said in the name of R. Johanan: It is as difficult to pair them as was
the division of the Red Sea; as it is said: God
setteth the solitary in families: He bringeth
out the prisoners into prosperity!  But it is
not so; for Rab Judah has said in the name of
Rab: Forty days before the creation of a
child, a Bath Kol (a heavenly voice proclaiming the judgment or will of God) issues forth and proclaims,
The daughter of A is for B; the house of C is
for D; the field of E is for F! — There is no
contradiction, the latter dictum referring to a
first marriage and the former to a second
marriage. (Taken from the Soncino Babylonian Talmud)

There are also other tractates from the Babylonian Talmud (I'm not sure if there are any mentioning it in the Jerusalem Talmud, nor where one might find more discussion of the idea in later Rabbinic works) that mention the idea of a soul mate, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:23:00 PM by JamesRottnek » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »

That seems to refer to marriages that would occur as part of the larger economy of God, rather than the idea two people are created with some sort of soul connection, as is believed in popular american mythology when "soulmate" is used.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »

Hi,
Ive heard/read that the Jews can marry up to 4 wives providing they can financially maintain them all.However, I believe this has now been abolished to be in line with "the modern world". I wanted to know, Is polygamy allowed according to the Jewish Law?If this is the case, then this was changed in the New Testament, is this right?

There is no concept of Purgatory in Judaism so that makes no sense...

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »

Hi,
Ive heard/read that the Jews can marry up to 4 wives providing they can financially maintain them all.However, I believe this has now been abolished to be in line with "the modern world". I wanted to know, Is polygamy allowed according to the Jewish Law?If this is the case, then this was changed in the New Testament, is this right?

I have seen numerous Jews describe their view on temporal hell as essentially being equivalent to purgatory.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »

Hi,

I have seen numerous Jews describe their view on temporal hell as essentially being equivalent to purgatory.

I've also met Jews who think it's okay to eat pork and Orthodox Christians who think that Jesus was a Greek and Odysseus was a prophet; don't base everything off of anecdotal evidence.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »

Hi,

I've also met Jews who think it's okay to eat pork and Orthodox Christians who think that Jesus was a Greek and Odysseus was a prophet; don't base everything off of anecdotal evidence.

Okay, I'll just wait for JamesRottnek to quote some rabbi about how Jewish hell is temporal.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »

Hi,

is joking.. You missed it

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: