OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 07:51:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How come I'm not Eastern Orthodox?  (Read 476 times) Average Rating: 0
loser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ?

« on: March 04, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »

I have a tough question:

At the council of chalcedon, the (Greek-Latin) church excommunicated Dioscorus. They did not excommunicate all of the christians of Africa. So all the other bishops of Africa should still be considered EO/Catholic. So how come I (an Oriental Christian) am considered excommunicated from the Eastern Orthodox Church. How did I obtain this excommunication/anathema?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:26:43 PM by loser » Logged
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »

eh? Huh

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »

Because you're in communion with bishops who are not in communion with the Eastern Orthodox. The Eastern Orthodox are not Oriental Orthodox because they're not in communion with Oriental Orthodox bishops. It's that simple.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:23:14 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
loser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ?

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »

Because you're in communion with bishops who are not in communion with the Eastern Orthodox. The Eastern Orthodox are not Oriental Orthodox because they're not in communion with Oriental Orthodox bishops. It's that simple.

And how come those Oriental bishops are not in communion with the EOC. They were never excommunicated. Only Dioscorus was excommunicated. Hence, they should still be considered a part of the EOC/Catholic church.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »

indeed cyrillic, I would have thought that is quite obvious to the OP.

anyways dear resol....FYI,  the Faith of St. Dioscorus is my Faith, the Orthodox Faith, the Faith of all the Oriental Orthodox Churches you are in communion with. what happened in chalcedon is a complex matter. I will leave it at that.

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »

Because the predecessors of the EO and OO bishops hurled anathemas against eachother for centuries and refused all communion with eachother.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »

This sounds like the same issue with the EO and RC.  Although by the Council of Florence it seems common knowledge that the larger body of Christians from each side are not in communion with one another.

In both cases (with the OOs and the RCs) there were a ton of events that happened after the excommunications which would explain more.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »

anyways dear resol . . .

LOL!

You try really hard to turn that frown upside down.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »

anyways dear resol . . .

LOL!

You try really hard to turn that frown upside down.

hehehe

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: