OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 05:11:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Explaining to my Mother why I can't go to a Protestant college  (Read 827 times) Average Rating: 0
Android_Rewster
Raving fanatic of Jesus Christ

Faith: Not a Protsetant anymore

I need you so much closer

« on: March 04, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »

Any tips here? She wants me to go to Moody Bible and at first I was okay with that, but I just read their doctrinal requirements, and I can't honestly sign a contract saying that I agree. Sad

What should I do?

Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum. I didn't know which to opt for.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:14:44 PM by Android_Rewster » Logged
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »

What should I do?
"Mom, I understand you want me to go to Moody, however I cant sign a doctrine agreement that I dont agree with. I dont want to lie to them and waste my time and theirs."

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »

Any tips here? She wants me to go to Moody Bible and at first I was okay with that, but I just read their doctrinal requirements, and I can't honestly sign a contract saying that I agree. Sad

What should I do?

You might point out that John Maddex, the founder of Ancient Faith Radio, used to run Moody Bible Radio, and he was forced to leave by Moody because of his conversion to being Orthodox, although they found out only through the grapevine, and it didn't affect his work (the parting was, in his words "very amicable" and on "generous terms").  They just insisted because the decided that he couldn't meet their doctrinal requirements (he had signed such things when still a Protestant, and I don't think he found much of a problem, looking back, on what the contract said.  They may have changed the contract, due to the numbers of those who have converted to Orthodoxy as of late).  My priest, Fr. Patrick Reardon, has spoken there on occasion.

And the Diocesan Center, complete with Church, of the OCA Diocese of the Midwest is across the street, so it's not like sending you to Moody is going to isolate you from Orthodox influence.

Btw, what requirements are causing the problem?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:25:31 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »

I just read the doctrinal statement here: http://www.moodyministries.net/crp_MainPage.aspx?id=334

Additionally, from their undergraduate catalog:  http://www.moody.edu/uploadedFiles/Education/Library/undergraduate_catalog.pdf

Doctrinal Qualifications For Students
To maintain continuity and consistency with the heritage entrusted to its care, Moody
Bible Institute requires its faculty and administration to agree with, personally adhere
to, and support all the school’s doctrinal distinctives. These identify what is believed and
taught in our classes. However, the school also recognizes that its specific theological posi-
tions do not define orthodoxy for the whole body of Christ. For this reason, Moody Bible
Institute accepts students from other theological traditions within conservative evangeli-
calism
. However, to be admitted and to graduate, students must personally adhere to and
support the following doctrinal positions:
 the inspiration, authority, and inerrancy of Scripture,
 the Trinity,
 the full deity and full humanity of Christ,
 the creation of the human race in the image of God,
 the spiritual lostness of the human race,
 the substitutionary atonement and bodily resurrection of Christ,
 salvation by grace through faith alone in Christ alone,
 the physical and imminent return of Christ, and
 the eternal reward of the righteous and the eternal judgment of the lost.

I wouldn't be keen on going there either. 

(In the above quote the emphasis is mine.)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »

What should I do?

The decision regarding what college you want to attend is an adult decision, since you're most likely going to be of an adult age before you even start college. Therefore, the decision is yours and yours alone. You can and should allow your parents to speak their opinions, and you should give their opinions some consideration, but the decision is ultimately yours. If you decide to go to a school your parents don't want you to attend, just find a kind way to tell them what I just told you. Once you are an adult, the call to honor your parents no longer means that you owe them your unconditional obedience.
Android_Rewster
Raving fanatic of Jesus Christ

Faith: Not a Protsetant anymore

I need you so much closer

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

Btw, what requirements are causing the problem?

The following is their doctrinal requirements:
    the inspiration, authority and inerrancy of Scripture
    the Trinity
    the full deity and full humanity of Christ
    the creation of the human race in the image of God
    the spiritual lostness of the human race
    the substitutionary atonement and bodily resurrection of Christ
    salvation by grace through faith alone in Christ alone
    the physical and imminent return of Christ
    the eternal reward of the righteous and the eternal judgment of the lost
Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with (most of) this stuff. But given the context that they're primarily protestant, I don't think I could agree to the statement on grace and faith alone. Nor the eternal aspect of heaven and hell(although that's more of speculation, and not very Orthodox). There was another thing in there that I didn't like, but I forgot it.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »

i had to sign a statement of faith to have some very minor leadership role in an ecumenical professional Christian society. they initially said they are ecumenical so catholics could join as long as they were 'evangelical'. i explained that orthodox Christianity was not exactly the same as catholic Christianity, but i think that point was lost on them. so i signed the statement conditionally; explaining in an accompanying note what i understood as an orthodox Christian by salvation, faith etc.
they didn't get back to me...
 Wink

so, maybe if you contact someone in the college to discuss your viewpoint and see if they would accept it, then you will later be able to tell your parents for sure if you would or would not be accepted. so there would be no pretense or uncertainty involved.
may God guide u and bless u.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »

Just tell her flat out and fast like a band-aid. I once had a teacher when I was a Protestant who went to Moody Bible College. She was crazy. Don't go there.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »

Where you go to college needs to be your decision. If she opts not to help you finacially, be prepared for that.

Proverbs 22:7
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »

Complete the courses at a Community College..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:38:18 PM by WPM » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »

I just read the doctrinal statement here: http://www.moodyministries.net/crp_MainPage.aspx?id=334

Additionally, from their undergraduate catalog:  http://www.moody.edu/uploadedFiles/Education/Library/undergraduate_catalog.pdf

To maintain continuity and consistency with the heritage entrusted to its care, Moody
Bible Institute requires its faculty and administration to agree with, personally adhere
to, and support all the school’s doctrinal distinctives. These identify what is believed and
taught in our classes. However, the school also recognizes that its specific theological posi-
tions do not define orthodoxy for the whole body of Christ. For this reason, Moody Bible
Institute accepts students from other theological traditions within conservative evangeli-
calism
. However, to be admitted and to graduate, students must personally adhere to and
 the Trinity,

the substitutionary atonement one is the only one I have a problem with.  And how they define "alone".

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 11:22:58 PM »

the substitutionary atonement one is the only one I have a problem with.

I think it would've been fine if they didn't implicitly mean "penal substitution."
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »

calism
 the Trinity,

the substitutionary atonement one is the only one I have a problem with.  And how they define "alone".

That first link has this to say on the Trinity:

God is a Person who has revealed Himself as a Trinity in unity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit—three Persons and yet one God.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 01:55:12 AM »

Just tell her flat out and fast like a band-aid. I once had a teacher when I was a Protestant who went to Moody Bible College. She was crazy. Don't go there.
Unfortunately for you, one teacher who happens to be a product of Moody Bible College does not necessarily represent the entire institution. A bad teacher can come from a good school just as easily as a good teacher can come from a bad school.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 02:08:00 AM »

I wouldn't get into a deep theology debate with her. What degree do you want, what can you afford for tuition, what carrer plans do you have. That should guide your choice.

Proverbs 22:7
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »

Suggest Bob Jones University as an alternative.  laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:14:28 PM »

Or Pensacola Christian College. Wink
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »

Or Pensacola Christian College. Wink

Wink indeed.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »

Wink indeed.

Who wouldn't demerits for touching a member of the opposite sex?
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »

Wink indeed.

Who wouldn't demerits for touching a member of the opposite sex?

I have a friend that went there and I know about it all too well.  He became a baptist pastor and then a couple of years later told his congregation that he was an atheist.  Fun times.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »

I have a friend that went there and I know about it all too well.  He became a baptist pastor and then a couple of years later told his congregation that he was an atheist.  Fun times.

Wonder if there's any connection...

I went to a "fundamentalist" Evangelical private school for a year, where some of the seniors were considering PCC. Even they, despite coming from pretty overly strict backgrounds, found it too absurd.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »

I went to a "fundamentalist" Evangelical private school for a year, where some of the seniors were considering PCC. Even they, despite coming from pretty overly strict backgrounds, found it too absurd.

I remember growing up in Christian schools were the curriculum was Abeka. Naturally, PCC was usually talked very highly of, but I was always turned off by the whole segregation thing.

One guy from PCC, visiting my school in MS, told us he met his wife while they attended PCC and I asked how seeing as you can't even take the same elevator or stairs as the opposite sex. He did not like that question and one of my teachers tried to give me a demerit.

Also, I visited Moody (well, the church part) once or twice and knew a few people who went there. I don't think that would be a good choice for Orthodox, but I don't know how much it has changed since then...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »

Growing up as a fundy, I had quite a few friends that went to BJU or PCC.  Several of them are atheists now.  I do think it is quite easy to see the absurdity of it and rather than exploring a deeper understanding of Christianity, just throw the baby out with the bathwater.  I visited BJU, it was just too creepy for me.  I felt as if I was surrounded by robots.  I know many of the students don't agree with the rules, but you sure don't get that impression when visiting...

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »

God is a Person who has revealed Himself as a Trinity in unity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit—three Persons and yet one God.

Why is this problematic?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:58:41 AM by Eastern Mind » Logged

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »

I would venture to guess that he chose extreme fundamentalism as a final effort to preserve his faith, kind of a go-big-or-go-home strategy.  So I wouldn't directly blame the institution's nutty policies.  In fact, I am thankful that he went there.  As an atheist he is now a much kinder, gentler, thoughtful, and loving person.

Anyways, back to the original topic...
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »

Why is this problematic?

"God is a person who has revealed Himself as....three persons."

This is modalism.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

If it is an issue of her paying for you to attend school and she only wants to put her money into a Christian institution, there are plenty of alternatives that are just as conservative as Moody and offer a similar course of study without the requirement of student assent to a certain set of beliefs. I have a pays-the-bills degree with a minor in religious studies from one such school; the religious studies courses there were intended to serve as the basis for a divinity degree or as ministry preparation for evangelical students, but a number of non-Protestants (including myself and a local Catholic priest who prays the mass in Latin) also found some of the offerings useful.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »

why the fuss

plenty of our bishops went to non-orthodox colleges

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »

"God is a person who has revealed Himself as....three persons."

This is modalism.

Indeed. I noticed that.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »

why the fuss

plenty of our bishops went to non-orthodox colleges

If my reading comprehension is up to snuff, the fuss is not that it is a non-Orthodox institution, but that it is an institution that would require him to sign a statement of belief that would require him to outright lie or to personally redefine terms to understand them in a way that the school itself does not.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: