OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:18:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you an extrovert or introvert?
Introvert
Extrovert

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you an extrovert or introvert?  (Read 588 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: March 03, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »

Introvert for the most part.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
qawe

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:44:37 AM »

Prediction: vast majority on this site will be introvert, despite the fact that 75% of society is extroverted.

I am an introvert.

btw @Melodist, there  is no need to qualify your answer with "for the most part", since by its very definition, whether you are an introvert or an extrovert is dependent on what you are like for the most part.  Every introvert has an auxilliary ability to be extraverted, which is less dominant, and likewise every extravert has an auxilliary ability to be introverted, which is less dominant.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:51:19 AM »

Prediction: vast majority on this site will be introvert, despite the fact that 75% of society is extroverted.

+1

I tend to identify as an introvert.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:13:41 AM »

I guess I'm introvert.

On a OC.net diet.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »

I used to be an extrovert.  Not so much any more.  Now I am very much an introvert, but I can still do what needs to be done. Grin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

I can't vote. I am both (just not at the same time, situation-dependency).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »

I can't vote. I am both (just not at the same time, situation-dependency).

Ditto that.  Maybe we should start a new 12-step group--Situationists Anonymous  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »

A psychologist once told me that I was the most extroverted introvert that he had ever met (my testing showed me quite introverted).  I reminded him that the tests to not reveal everything.  Perhaps I am just an introvert that figured out that he has to deal with people to get anywhere in this world. 

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »

A psychologist once told me that I was the most extroverted introvert that he had ever met (my testing showed me quite introverted).  I reminded him that the tests to not reveal everything.  Perhaps I am just an introvert that figured out that he has to deal with people to get anywhere in this world. 
I haven't dealt with psychologists and formal testing for this sort of thing, but you and I appear to be similar. I'm definitely an introvert - I can take crowds and social situations only for so long; they're very draining - but have learned to behave appropriately in those situations, well enough that some people are surprised to hear me describe myself as an introvert.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »

I'm an introvert. While I am quite comfortable speaking in front of people, and I enjoy social situations, I find these sorts of things exhausting after a while. Eventually I need to retreat to my apartment and get comfortable with a good book.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »

Same here.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »

I think that is how most of us get by. We know how we are expected to act in social situations, and so we behave accordingly. But all we really want is to read a good book.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »

I am definately a introvert.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »

A little rectification: I've always considered myself an introvert, but compared to most here I'm probably on the extrovert side of things.

On a OC.net diet.
Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »

I'm an introverted extrovert. I need some alone time sometimes, but I couldn't imagine life without hanging with my friends and family.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »

Same here.

I find it hard to comprehend an idea of introvert Arab.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:23:15 AM by Alpo » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »

I'm an introverted extrovert. I need some alone time sometimes, but I couldn't imagine life without hanging with my friends and family.

Ahhh....an ambivert! Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 12:52:47 AM »

Like some who have posted already, I'm an introvert (INFP), of the sort who have little problem addressing a crowd/performing for an audience, but in private, more intimate settings where I'm not expected to be "on"…if there's more than three or four people…and if an event/occasion goes on too long, I get very antsy. I keep book (or ebook) handy or a small doodling pad…so I can find an isolated corner and get away from the crowd.  I also hate noise….and liver…and shellfish…don't like noise, liver and shellfish…and crowds.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 01:49:29 AM »

I am an introvert.

btw @Melodist, there  is no need to qualify your answer with "for the most part", since by its very definition, whether you are an introvert or an extrovert is dependent on what you are like for the most part.  Every introvert has an auxilliary ability to be extraverted, which is less dominant, and likewise every extravert has an auxilliary ability to be introverted, which is less dominant.

I am pretty sure that Myers-Briggs and Keirsey have it as 50-50.  Were you just using the word "fact" as a figure of speech?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 04:01:08 AM »

By definition, an extrovert is really someone who draws energy from being with other people and expends it by being alone, while an introvert draws energy from being alone and expends it by being with other people. Based on this definition, an extrovert will tend to always be an extrovert, even if he/she learns to value spending some time alone, and an introvert will tend to always be an introvert, even if he/she learns how to socialize well with other people.

That said, I am definitely an introvert and will always be an introvert, even though I've made it my life study to learn how to communicate, lead, and be generally comfortable in front of big groups of people. At the end of the day, I will still need to spend a lot of time alone or with no more than about two to three other people I know well.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 04:20:54 AM »

I am an introvert.

This.

I am ~60% extrovert.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 04:23:24 AM »

By definition, an extrovert is really someone who draws energy from being with other people and expends it by being alone, while an introvert draws energy from being alone and expends it by being with other people. Based on this definition, an extrovert will tend to always be an extrovert, even if he/she learns to value spending some time alone, and an introvert will tend to always be an introvert, even if he/she learns how to socialize well with other people.

That said, I am definitely an introvert and will always be an introvert, even though I've made it my life study to learn how to communicate, lead, and be generally comfortable in front of big groups of people. At the end of the day, I will still need to spend a lot of time alone or with no more than about two to three other people I know well.
You are doing Toastmasters right? Why is that your life study?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 04:32:27 AM »

You are doing Toastmasters right? Why is that your life study?
Because communication and leadership skills are so important in my career, just as in any career, and I like helping other people develop those same skills that I'm learning from Toastmasters. One other thing I'm learning is how to listen, a skill most people don't have. As far as calling Toastmasters my life study... well, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement, but Toastmasters has become an important part of my life.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: