Author Topic: how to say lord have mercy in different languages!  (Read 524 times)

Online Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God
  • High Elder
  • Господи Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
how to say lord have mercy in different languages!
« on: June 18, 2018, 05:50:27 PM »
I want to know how to say lord have mercy in different languages!

I already know in

slavonic: Gospodi Pomului!

koine Greek: Kyrie Eleison!

English: Lord Have Mercy!
not every quiet man is humble but every humble man is quiet         st Isaac the Syrian

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: how to say lord have mercy in different languages!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 07:20:39 PM »
Arabic - Ya Raab ur'ham

Spanish - Senor tempejda

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
Spanish - Senor tempejda
It's "Señor, ten piedad."
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
not every quiet man is humble but every humble man is quiet         st Isaac the Syrian

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:03:12 PM »
Spanish - Senor tempejda
It's "Señor, ten piedad."

Tened piedad actually.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »
Irish Gaelic: "a Thiarna déan trocaire."
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:45:32 PM »
Tened piedad actually.
I don't recall reading God being treated by vosotros, I always thought this to be a Portuguese thing.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
I can confirm it's "ten".
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »
Latin: Domine, miserere.
German: Herr, erbarme Dich.
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
Tened piedad actually.
I don't recall reading God being treated by vosotros, I always thought this to be a Portuguese thing.

Now, I am researching and I found both forms, maybe the ''tened'' form can be used when adressing God.

Online Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
Latin: Domine, miserere.
German: Herr, erbarme Dich.

interestingly I know how to say it in Latin but I forgot to put it in! 

if there are any devout orthodox among you reading this I know the prayer in Latin because while researching western rite orthodoxy I practised western rite worship!!!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
Now, I am researching and I found both forms, maybe the ''tened'' form can be used when adressing God.
Second person plural pronouns were current in the Iberian languages-speaking word to adress people of higher statute, but they have nowadays disappeared in that sense outside of religious language. Some Spanish American countries inherited the pronoun "vos" from that old form, but it's not formal and it works a bit differently.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
Second person plural pronouns were current in the Iberian languages-speaking word to adress people of higher statute, but they have nowadays disappeared in that sense outside of religious language. Some Spanish American countries inherited the pronoun "vos" from that old form, but it's not formal and it works a bit differently.
Right, so shouldn't it be "Senhor, tende piedade" in Portuguese?  How is it said in your church?
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:16 PM »
Right, so shouldn't it be "Senhor, tende piedade" in Portuguese?  How is it said in your church?
"Senhor, tem piedade." We don't use the Roman Catholic tradition of "vós" to God, which is weird since "tu" is used in the Vulgate, and also probably just recently widespread since reading the Bible and praying Mass in Portuguese among Roman Catholics is a recent thing.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
"Senhor, tem piedade." We don't use the Roman Catholic tradition of "vós" to God, which is weird since "tu" is used in the Vulgate, and also probably just recently widespread since reading the Bible and praying Mass in Portuguese among Roman Catholics is a recent thing.
Well, the plural form is usually proper to royalty.  Curiously, "tu" and "vós" were familiar pronouns, with "você" being formal.  This is still so in European Portuguese.  This was so in archaic English too, but nowadays it is reversed as well.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
"Você" is a modern thing (XVII century), I believe "vós" worked both as plural informal/formal and singular formal, plus many formalities were shown using "vosso/vossa" + some virtue, specially "vossa mercê", which eventually became "você". All Iberian Latin languages formed their pronouns this way, but it's a relatively recent areal development across languages rather than an ancient trait.

In some parts of Brazil tu/você are still used as back in the same country, but with messed up grammar. In some like Rio, there are four levels in some sense: tu, cê, você, o senhor.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:36:28 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline Sampson

• St. Sampson, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Chicago
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 01:09:44 AM »
Does anyone have any good links to actual audio pronunciations of various "Kyrie" translations? It's obviously pretty easy to find some of the "larger" languages like Greek, Russian, Arabic, Romanian, etc, but it's much harder to find something like...Korean or Chinese.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »
Does anyone have any good links to actual audio pronunciations of various "Kyrie" translations? It's obviously pretty easy to find some of the "larger" languages like Greek, Russian, Arabic, Romanian, etc, but it's much harder to find something like...Korean or Chinese.

It's easier to find such things, if you know at least basics of the langauge, that's obvious. There are recordings of Orthodox services and prayers in really different languages, so it's jstu about knowdlge how to find them - I mean, knowledge of the language, because only in some cases wiriting in English such thigns as "Orthodox Japanese" can be helpful. It's also easier to catch the words and proper pronunciation, if, again, you know at least basics of the language.
For example Korean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HCLsbwvge0

Online Orthodox_Slav

• High Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 08:14:12 AM »

It's easier to find such things, if you know at least basics of the langauge, that's obvious. There are recordings of Orthodox services and prayers in really different languages, so it's jstu about knowdlge how to find them - I mean, knowledge of the language, because only in some cases wiriting in English such thigns as "Orthodox Japanese" can be helpful. It's also easier to catch the words and proper pronunciation, if, again, you know at least basics of the language.
For example Korean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HCLsbwvge0

+1