OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Guidance in Life  (Read 301 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: March 02, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »

Well, a lot of things have been racing across my mind. After talking to my teacher and guidance counselor, it turns out that I am going to be graduating High-School by the end of this school-year--one year early than all my peers. And they keep badgering me about applying for colleges and stuff, and my parents are somewhat involved, but are moving kind of slow, and there isn't much personal advice they could give me either, since they married right out of high-school due to having me and just worked instead of pursuing higher education. On the one hand, I feel tempted to do the same exact thing they did, simply because it's all I'm familiar with seeing and learning about from them, but on the other hand, everyone wants me to pursue something higher. I don't know if it's too soon to be worried about whether I want to get married or become a monastic, I don't know what type of life I want, and I just feel like I have very little time to decide and make my decision, since I'm going to be graduated by the end of the school year. Please pray that I will know what to do, and things will work out. Advice would be appreciated too.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Maybe traveling for a few months would be an option. That's what I'm planning when I graduate this summer. It's a good way to put your life into perspective.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »

^ agreed.  There are also a ton of one semester programs out there & every class you take counts for credit if yeah for your courses.  I'd look into that too.  Your HS guidance counselor could be helpful too. 

God bless you!  May the archangels guide you!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Your servant, JamesR, and guide him.

JamesR, congratulations on your early graduation. I admire you for your diligence and hard work.
May God  bless you always.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:45:43 PM »

I don't understand how you can be told you're graduating in a few months at this point. All the good colleges had their application deadlines back in January.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Maximum Bob
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »

Lord have mercy on James R. If your graduating early it suggests you have the aptitude to go on and do something with the education. Not everyone has that, it's generally not a bad idea to play to your strengths.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 12:39:22 AM »

My advice, which isn't worth much:

Right now, do what makes you happy as long as it does not conflict with your Orthodox Faith. You are bound neither by the rules of monasticism nor the opinions of men. Try not to make any decisions based upon pressure from others. Our Lord's yoke is easy and His burden is light. The Christian life is indeed a struggle, but manmade pressures and human manipulations are not from God. You can never please everyone. God has blessed you with a sound mind and keen interests, so pursue your God given desires and don't worry about what others think. If you do this, then those that truly love you will come to respect your choices in the end.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:39:56 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Symeon77

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »

My advice, which isn't worth much:

Right now, do what makes you happy as long as it does not conflict with your Orthodox Faith. You are bound neither by the rules of monasticism nor the opinions of men. Try not to make any decisions based upon pressure from others. Our Lord's yoke is easy and His burden is light. The Christian life is indeed a struggle, but manmade pressures and human manipulations are not from God. You can never please everyone. God has blessed you with a sound mind and keen interests, so pursue your God given desires and don't worry about what others think. If you do this, then those that truly love you will come to respect your choices in the end.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

FWIW, James, I would second this. Despite the prevailing insistence, in certain circles, of the dualistic choice between marriage or monasticism, there is a third option: it is possible to remain in the world, dedicating oneself to a chosen vocation, and living chastely, or at least attempting one's best to do so. We are not living in 18th/19th C. Holy Russia. As Gebre so rightly put it, we are not bound by the opinions of men, and I dare say—with all due respect—this includes the opinions of clergy. Seek the face of the Lord and follow your heart, provided it is not leading you to sin. Don't stress out. God will guide you. You remain in my prayers.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: