OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: confused!!!  (Read 2449 times) Average Rating: 0
irene

OC.net

« on: January 15, 2005, 10:09:17 AM »

Hi!
I have been studying Orthodoxy for awhile now, (on my own), and am confused about something.
There is an Albanian Orthodox Church not far from me, and that is the one I will be going to.  I'm not Albanian, but it seems to have people from different ethnic backgrounds, although, it is a small church.
Anyway, going off track!, it is American Orthodox.
Do Greek Orthodox Churches share the same Saints and Feast Days?  Or, do they just have many of the same ways, and share Orthodoxy?  Also, Serbian, Russian, etc... are we all on the same page so to speak?  Could you walk into a Greek Orthodox Church on a Sunday, although, you have been going to the Albanian for ex., and be doing the same Scripture for that day?
Thank you.   Huh
Irene   

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »

Generally, I think they are on the same page as long as they are also on the same church calendar (some use the "new" calendar, others use the "old" one). There are some differences in dates saints are commemorated and whatnot, and there might be some difference in lectionary/scriptural stuff, but I think generally if you can get a calendar from each church (which they can usually give you) you can pretty much figure out what's going on without too much trouble. And, worse case scenario, if you really want to know, shoot an email or AIM message or phone call off to a priest or priest's wife or someone at the Church and ask them; admittedly priests are pretty hard to get ahold of sometimes, but normally they're very willing to help once you DO get ahold of them! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 10:25:13 AM by Paradosis » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 02:07:05 PM »

Irene,

Almost all of the churches in the USA are on the New Calendar and as such will have the same stuff going on each Sunday, except for a few times a year when Arab/Greek and Slavic lectionaries differ (not that often though).

Those on the Old Calendar will have different feast days (13 days later for all fixed feasts; movable feasts like Pascha fall on the same day though).  Albanians, Greeks, Romanians, the OCA, etc. are all New Calendar; Serbs, some Carpatho-Rusyns, ROCOR, and the Moscow Patriarchal parishes are Old Calendar.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 09:59:07 AM »

Yes, each church will "feel" different. Every Orthodox church will have it's particular style and way of doing things. For example.... I belong to a Serbian church and our choir sang at the local Greek Orthodox church while the choir members of the Greek Orthodox church prepared a dinner for a special event. This was around christmas time and the Greek church iconistasis was bedecked with Christmas finery. Everyone in the choir was curious as to why the icon of christ was wearing  a fake plastic green garland. Near the cantor stand was a HUGE christmas tree. Serbian churches typically do not have christmas trees, as using an evergreen tree traditional in Western Europe and America. So, yes people talked and wondered.  I won't even mention the funny looks people were giving each other when the organist appeared in the choir loft and began to play "Oh come all ye Faithful" at the end of liturgy.

http://www.navidadlatina.com/srbija/welcome.asp
http://personalpages.tds.net/~duonexus/vesna/html/articles_6.html

As for saints, yes all orthodox churches acknowlege ALL orthodox saints whether they are Greek, Arab, Russian or Serbian. However, the emphasis on particular saints will vary. For example, you wouldn't here much about Saint Sava in a Greek church. However, he would still be considered a saint in the Greek church, he wouldn't get as much "air time" as Saint Spyriodon.

If you walked into a Serbian Church on one Sunday then went to a Greek church on the following Sunday, you would notice a different in the scripture. Especially if you attended around a major feast or fast. This is due to the difference in calendar. However if you went to an OCA church on one Sunday and went to a Greek chuch the next Sunday, you probably wouldn't notice much differnce at all since they are on the "New Calendar"
irene

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 10:44:10 AM »

Hello,

Now I get it, thanks!

irene  Grin
Tabby

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 11:49:12 AM »

Hi!
I have been studying Orthodoxy for awhile now, (on my own), and am confused about something.
There is an Albanian Orthodox Church not far from me, and that is the one I will be going to. I'm not Albanian, but it seems to have people from different ethnic backgrounds, although, it is a small church.
Anyway, going off track!, it is American Orthodox.
Do Greek Orthodox Churches share the same Saints and Feast Days? Or, do they just have many of the same ways, and share Orthodoxy? Also, Serbian, Russian, etc... are we all on the same page so to speak? Could you walk into a Greek Orthodox Church on a Sunday, although, you have been going to the Albanian for ex., and be doing the same Scripture for that day?
Thank you. Huh
Irene  

here is an american orthodox webiste that contatins what you are looking for. You can fine the church's calandar...and feast days.

http://www.oca.org/

I think this is an american orthodox...well someone will correct me if I am wrong...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 11:50:16 AM by Tabby » Logged

"If only I could die because then I would not die" ~ St. John of the Cross

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son" (Jn 3;16) "Mary so loved us that she gave her only b
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 12:30:06 PM »

They're all American Orthodox, because they're in America. It's just a matter of who is running the governmental issues and the background that the parishioners come from. The ethnic demarcation in the name of the church doesn't matter. Eastern Orthodox is Eastern Orthodox.

Qui cantat, bis orat
NickolaiOJ

Jurisdiction: OCA

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 03:07:02 PM »

Those on the Old Calendar will have different feast days (13 days later for all fixed feasts; movable feasts like Pascha fall on the same day though). Albanians, Greeks, Romanians, the OCA, etc. are all New Calendar; Serbs, some Carpatho-Rusyns, ROCOR, and the Moscow Patriarchal parishes are Old Calendar.
Anastasios

Minor correction,
Some OCA Churches are on the Old Calender.  Like some in Washington DC and in Canada.  We even have an Old Calender Monastary.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 03:32:03 PM »

Minor correction,
Some OCA Churches are on the Old Calender. Like some in Washington DC and in Canada. We even have an Old Calender Monastary.

There are five in the Russian District Deanery as well within the Diocese of the West:  SF on Anza St., Menlo Park, Berkeley, Santa Barbara and West Sacramento.  They are OC and Slavonic.
NickolaiOJ

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 03:34:24 PM »

Thanks for letting me know.  It appears we have more than I thought.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: