OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:07:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your favorite comic book story arcs?  (Read 1070 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: March 02, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »

As I said in another thread, mine are The Death and Return of Superman, Knightfall (Batman), and Maximum Carnage.

What are you yours, and why?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »

I am from a different time and world so ... Smiley

Tintin in Tibet, from the Adventures of Tintin.

may be because the Adventures of Tintin is the first comic book I ever read  when I was a child courtesy of my librarian neighbor & my book collector dad. in that series Tintin in Tibet is by far deeper on many levels and to my childhood spiritual inclinations quite fascinating and instructive.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »

Thanks to those Pocket Book reprints from the '70s and '80s I got exposed to a lot of the early stuff. The first few times the Fantastic Four met up with Doctor Doom was great, culminating in Doom launching the Baxter Building into outer space; also Galactus. Spiderman's run ins with Doc Ock were very arcy. The Green Goblin arc, ending in the Death of Gwen Stacey is a classic. The Secret Wars are some of the first comics I remember reading, and taught me far more than the cartoon and live action series just why one should never mess with Spiderman. A Lonely Place of Dying was one of my favorite Batman arcs, along with Tim Drake's early years as Robin- barring Dick Grayson, who was Nightwing through most of my life, Drake is the best Robin. Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen. X-Men: Days of Future Past. The first few arcs in Superman/Batman comics were great, did an excellent job of breaking down the last of the post-Crisis "Batman and Superman work with each other, but don't like each other" attitude, and the one offs were hilarious.

And of course, all of Atomic Robo.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »

I generally don't like comic book series that go on and on and on forevermore. I'm more of a mini-series than soap opera person, so to speak.

I love Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic for just that reason. Sandman is heartwrenchingly beautiful, but there are dips in the story. It could have been half as long without missing much.

The Metabarons saga is excellent, but probably too gruesome for the tastes of this crew. Smiley

Ambrosia, the very first Regulator instalment, was mindblowing. Too bad it's so insanely hard to find.

And, of course, Asterix and Cleopatra and the first cycle of Frutopia

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »

Soul Society Arc (aka Ryoka Invasion) - peak point in Bleach.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »

Daredevil's Born Again and the Elektra Saga up to her death, Batman's Dark Knight, Killing Joke and Year One. I like the Star Brand from Marvel's New Universe (I hear they are returning in the standard universe continuity...) I used to like Watchmen and Sandman, but although I still see the stories as compelling, I think they did more harm than good to my worldviews, not defining but supporting general moral relativism.

As for why, because they all are musings on what being a hero really entails, on what it means being faithful to virtue and truth in a world that fundamentally despises and hates everything that is true and honest.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:14:14 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:20:41 AM »

*sigh* Why is it a thread demonizing RCs or arguing against Protestant propaganda can reach 500 replies overnight, but something as vitally important as this is only at 6?

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 03:06:33 AM »

I don't know if this counts, but I just recently started watching all the TV episodes of The Incredible Hulk (starring Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno) again. It's amazing how very different the episodes appear now that I'm an adult watching them for the first time since I was a kid. It's as if I understand Dr. Banner's plight a lot better. What a truly sad, lonely existence wandering from town to town always in fear of the beast that lies within.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »

I don't know if this counts, but I just recently started watching all the TV episodes of The Incredible Hulk (starring Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno) again. It's amazing how very different the episodes appear now that I'm an adult watching them for the first time since I was a kid. It's as if I understand Dr. Banner's plight a lot better. What a truly sad, lonely existence wandering from town to town always in fear of the beast that lies within.

On that note, Greg Pak did an interesting twist on the theme in his recent Hulk run, one that the current writers have decided to go with. Long-story short, all this time Banner thought he was protecting the world from the Hulk, the Hulk was actually protecting the world from him.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »

*sigh* Why is it a thread demonizing RCs or arguing against Protestant propaganda can reach 500 replies overnight, but something as vitally important as this is only at 6?

Because that's this board.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 10:01:47 PM »

X-Men/X-factor/New Mutants: X-Tinction Agenda, X-Men:Days of Future Past, Spiderman: The Night Gwen Stacy Died

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »

The Infinity Gauntlet.

Does Watchmen count?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »

Any of the JLA-JSA "Crisis" team-ups from the Silver Age.

Also, Zatanna's search for Zatara that spanned several stories in Hawkman, Detective, Atom, Green Lantern, and Justice League of America back in the mid-1960's.  It introduced Zatanna and reintroduced Zatara during the peak of the Silver Age.  Brilliant art by Carmine Infantino, Murphy Anderson, Gil Kane, Mike Sekowsky, Sheldon Moldoff, Joe Giella, and Sid Greene, and excellent stories by Gardner Fox.  The arc was collected in a TPB several years ago called "Zatanna's Search".
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »

spiderman - alien costume/secret wars

batman - long halloween

judge dredd - so many...but the apocalypse war arc is still my favorite

i also am one of the few people who really liked the asgardian wars arc across the x-titles.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:57:43 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
choy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »

Wait 'til we get into DC vs. Marvel or Superman vs. Batman.  Anathemas will be in order.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »

Wait 'til we get into DC vs. Marvel or Superman vs. Batman.  Anathemas will be in order.

Batman.  Duh.  He knows he can do it and the JLA, including Superman, knows he can do it.  He has the means.  Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »

Batman.  Duh.  He knows he can do it and the JLA, including Superman, knows he can do it.  He has the means.  Wink
bahhhhh, not you too. It's definitely Superman. Smiley

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »

bahhhhh, not you too. It's definitely Superman. Smiley

I'm not saying he'd permanently incapacitate the Man of Steel, but Batman has the means to keep him under control until Supes comes to his senses.

choy
Archon

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

Batman also has an asteroid's worth of Kryptonite put away somewhere Tongue
choy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »

By the way, I liked Annihilation.  As mentioned earlier, I kinda developed a liking to Marvel's "other side of the universe" stories.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 04:49:33 PM »

That's only useful to him is Superman isn't wearing a lead suit.

choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »

But his face is alwasy exposed.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

Don't act like Bats hasn't thought of that.  Even if he did, the lead suit could be disposed of in no short order.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »

Don't act like Bats hasn't thought of that.  Even if he did, the lead suit could be disposed of in no short order.
Of course, Supes could always roast batman from a mile away with his heat vision before the Kryptonite ever became an issue. Just saying.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »

I once purchase a piece of Bazooka Joe gum.

Because I was the man that I was at the age of five, I realized that comics were for the more feeble minded of children and this one no less than mere war propaganda.

And upon putting the gum into my mouth, I immediately knew this product was also a way of supporting the military industrial complex along monetized lines as well as those ideological by repurposing spent M-16 shell casings as consumer goods.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »

Of course, Supes could always roast batman from a mile away with his heat vision before the Kryptonite ever became an issue. Just saying.

Again, don't think Batman doesn't have a contingent plan.  The only person who will cause Batman's downfall is Batman. Tongue

Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »

Killing Joke definitely.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 01:35:53 PM »

Again, don't think Batman doesn't have a contingent plan.  The only person who will cause Batman's downfall is Batman. Tongue

On that note, and to resurrect this thread after finals-

JLA: Tower of Babel.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »

On that note, and to resurrect this thread after finals-

JLA: Tower of Babel.
Very appropriate in light of the debate on Batman.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »

There can be only one Smiley

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »

Was this connected to the Infinity Wars?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »

I need to buy me The Walking Dead ones (graphic novels?)...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »

Yep, that's one of my favorites also Smiley How about the latest arc?

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »

Yep, that's one of my favorites also Smiley How about the latest arc?

It promises to be interesting. Everything is better that running around Hueco Mundo and fighting random Arrancars (or finding him new friends, gaining them new powers, then killing all these new friends and taking back the powers after a few chapters).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »

Was this connected to the Infinity Wars?

Infinity Wars was the sequel.

In general, before 1995, I tended to like the Marvel crossover books better than the DC ones. With Marvel you might get a new costume or new character or some such out of the deal, but with DC you had to relearn an entire continuity and argue with other comics fans over what Superman's powers are THIS time around.

After 1995 we started getting Heroes Reborn, Civil Wars, and Spidey's One More Day. Bad Marvel.

ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »

It promises to be interesting. Everything is better that running around Hueco Mundo and fighting random Arrancars (or finding him new friends, gaining them new powers, then killing all these new friends and taking back the powers after a few chapters).
The Fullbring arc was the worst Smiley
Do you like One Piece?

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »

The Fullbring arc was the worst Smiley
Do you like One Piece?

Haven't tried OP.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:09:12 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
choy
Archon

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »

I read somewhere that a bunch of heroes were killed off last year?  I need to get up to speed!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: