OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 06:47:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scripture Memorization  (Read 490 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: March 01, 2013, 05:17:29 AM »

Sooo, I know that this is generally a pretty Protestant practice to devote time to memorizing countless parts of Scripture, but how many of you do it anyway? And what are your thoughts on the practice? More importantly, does the Church have any official stance or guidelines upon whether or not we should constantly memorize Scripture?

For me, I mostly do it because I've been on the hot-seat since the day I converted by the non-Orthodox, so I devote time to memorizing passages to defend my beliefs or refute critiques against the Church. All in all, I have about 30-35 passages/verses memorized from the New Testament. I also enjoy memorizing helpful passages that could motivate me during hard times of temptation. I think that James 1:12, which says "Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." is the one passage I find myself constantly repeating in my head and returning to.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:28:30 AM »

Sooo, I know that this is generally a pretty Protestant practice to devote time to memorizing countless parts of Scripture,

This is true in practice, but in theory literate Orthodox should be just as eager to memorize Scripture as Protestants.

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »

I often think that most valuable thing I learned from my 20 years as an Evangelical Protestant is the practice of memorizing Scripture. I don't practice it like I used to in my Protestant days, but the verses that I committed to memory have been an invaluable source of comfort and strength throughout the years. And yes, the apologetics aspect is also valuable. But more importantly, it's a great source of personal spiritual comfort. So I agree with Asteriktos; Orthodox Christians should be as zealous to know the Scriptures as Protestants.

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." [Psalm 119:105]

"Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee." [Psalm 119:111]

Selam
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:07:47 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:42:55 AM »

I often think that most valuable thing I learned from my 20 years as an Evangelical Protestant is the practice of memorizing Scripture. I don't practice it like I used to in my Protestant days, but the verses that I committed to memory have been an invaluable source of comfort and strength throughout the years. And yes, the apologetics aspect is also valuable. But more importantly, it's a great source of personal spiritual comfort. So I agree with Asteriktos; Orthodox Christians should be as zealous to know the Scriptures as Protestants.

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." [Psalm 119:105]

"Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee." [Psalm 119:111]

Selam

The first verse I ever memorized, thanks to my mother.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:44:15 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »

If one studies a text consistently, memorisation happens, even without getting out of one's way to do that. Knowing exact chapter and verse numbers, however, is another story. I don't bother much with that, myself.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »

When I was a child we knew this older man we fondly called “Uncle Andy”.  He was amazing.  He had the same bible for over 30 years and if you asked him to find a book and chapter, he could turn to it every time, sometimes even to the verse. 
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »

I am working on that with the NT and are close to soon memomrize certain parts of Matthew 5 and 7. Daily readings does good (uh..that did sound pharisean, sorry).

Yeah, that is amazing. I got the bible my mum and dad was given when they married 42 years ago. It means a lot to me.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:07:33 AM »

I'm still an inquirer (I feel more or less stalled due to my remote location) but I've been using a prayer book for 6 months.  The prayers and psalms beginning to sink in to the point where they are almost memorized.  It won't be long before they stick for good, I hope.
erimos

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »

Attending the Divine Liturgy and learning the daily Orthodox lectionary, will make you familiar with the whole New testament in 4 years. You will then be able to Bible bash too, but why would you want to do that, especially when what you quote could return to you?
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »

When I was a child we knew this older man we fondly called “Uncle Andy”.  He was amazing.  He had the same bible for over 30 years and if you asked him to find a book and chapter, he could turn to it every time, sometimes even to the verse. 
The part I've emphasized is really important. Even during my final years as a Protestant, I noticed that Scripture memorization was becoming a thing of the past. And no wonder! With dozens of translations out there - and everyone being encouraged to compare them - you would never hear or read exactly the same words over and over. The KJV-only people actually make a good point here. (Notice I said "a" good point  Smiley)

I finally got Psalm 50 memorized using the version we use at Orthros, and am now trying to decide which psalm to tackle next. Whichever I choose, it will be the version that my parish will use in our services. For the same reason, I memorized the Creed, the Trisagion, etc. according to what I hear at church.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »

I could recite a lot of verses, especially from the NT, but I wouldn't be able to tell you book or verse. I always have to type the words into google to see where they came from Tongue
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:54:06 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »

We should remember the words, not memorize them.  Memorization is just about knowing the exact words and verses and chapters and books.  When you remember it is because you understood and apprciated what was said.

Of course there is some expectation in Orthodoxy to know the greater context of verses.  When we recite Palms, we usually only say a couple of verses during Liturgy.  But the expectation is for one to know the entire Psalm by heart (again, not necessarily word-for-word memorization).  The same way that Jesus was quoted on the cross saying a line of Psalm instead of reciting the entire Psalm.  Those who became Bible-only Christians and has abandonned Liturgical worship usually get this wrong, because they do not understand the practice of reciting one line from Scripture which is meant to call to mind the entire context where that line is from, not just that one line that was said.
choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »

I could recite a lot of verses, especially from the NT, but I wouldn't be able to tell you book or verse. I always have to type the words into google to see where they came from Tongue

You and me both Wink
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »

The part I've emphasized is really important. Even during my final years as a Protestant, I noticed that Scripture memorization was becoming a thing of the past. And no wonder! With dozens of translations out there - and everyone being encouraged to compare them - you would never hear or read exactly the same words over and over. The KJV-only people actually make a good point here. (Notice I said "a" good point  Smiley)

All my memorised lines are in Greek. I can't be bothered to learn them in any English translation, as I think and pray in Greek. Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
arnI

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »

It seems that memorizing the Psalms would be a good idea. How about Psalm 50, 102, 145, 22, 23, 115, 69 and then others ... perhaps Psalm 23 would be easiest to start with for me.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 12:26:28 AM »

Never hurts to know the scriptures better! Smiley  That's the way I see it.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »

I was reading some of Romans and 1st Corinthians last night, and all I remember this morning is the wife/husband is consecrated by the faith of their spouse. laugh

Oh and then there was a bit I remember about pagan meat.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »

It seems that memorizing the Psalms would be a good idea. How about Psalm 50, 102, 145, 22, 23, 115, 69 and then others ... perhaps Psalm 23 would be easiest to start with for me.
If I could memorize the Proverbs and Psalms by heart that would be good.

I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I can enjoy reading the NT, instead of trying to cobble together verses in polemics with Protestants. I feel sorry for James, I'm sure it's extremely frustrating.

I swear if you falter in just one piece of your argument with a Protestant, no matter how trivial, they completely dismiss anything you have to say. Now if only they were so erudite when it came to Church History...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »

I was reading some of Romans and 1st Corinthians last night, and all I remember this morning is the wife/husband is consecrated by the faith of their spouse. laugh

Oh and then there was a bit I remember about pagan meat.

...the last part of which may be in violation of James the Just's letter to Christians that is mentioned in Acts 21...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »

First you gotta read 'em, then you gotta heed 'em, you never know when you're gonna need 'em!

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »

lots of people in the coptic church memorise psalms.
it is also expected to memorise the morning and evening prayers.
(www.agpeya.org)
i am really rubbish at it (takes me an average 2 years per psalm!) but it's a really good idea to memorise parts of the Bible.
many of the early Christians (from all the orthodox/catholic churches) memorised large parts of the Bible as most people could not read and there was no sound recording invented.
the memorised verses gave them great strength and courage under persecution, and still have the same benefit today.

let's all memorise more of the Bible!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: