OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman and Not Robin Anymore: sidekick to die in comics  (Read 634 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« on: February 28, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »

Story here.

Cry
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »

It has been done already.  Batman#426-429 "A Death in the Family" storyline.  Fanboys could call in to vote on whether Robin (Jason Todd) would live or die.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »

Meh, he'll be back in a couple of years when another arc suits it.  Since when did somebody die in comics and stayed dead?
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »

Meh, he'll be back in a couple of years when another arc suits it.  Since when did somebody die in comics and stayed dead?
^Jason Todd/Robin and Uncle Ben (from Spiderman)

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »

That's why I've stopped reading a lot of the big comics and started looking for ones I haven't heard of much before. The regular plotlines are just so weird.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »

God bless his soul.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »

Jason Todd is alive.  Uncle Ben is integral to Spiderman being Spiderman, but even though he still pops up often in some way, shape or form.
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »

That's why I've stopped reading a lot of the big comics and started looking for ones I haven't heard of much before. The regular plotlines are just so weird.

I gave up Spiderman after "Brand New Day".  I kind of liked the older Spiderman, married and all that.  Suddenly they just rebooted his story just because of the movies?  Isn't that what the Ultimate Universe is for?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »

You are put on 30-days warning status for using blasphemy. Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:55:38 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »

Lazarus Pit. Like grandfather, like grandson.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »

Jason Todd/Red Hood

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »

I just watched the Red Hood animated movie this past weekend.  Nice that the movie was 95% faithful to the comic and the altered parts were more to make sure that one who watches the movie and not read the comics aren't left with too many questions in their mind about events not covered in the movie.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »

Sad part is, I wish Superman was still dead.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »

Jason Todd/Red Hood

I stand corrected.  I was thinking the Red Hood deal was a "what if" storyline, but not so. 

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:13 PM »

Sad part is, I wish Superman was still dead.
Anathema to you

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 12:07:48 AM »

Never did liked Superman.  I mean, the only way to stop him is with Kryptonite or magic.  Although Lex Luthor must have found an entire asteroid's worth.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 02:31:33 AM »

I liked Damian Wayne. I think DC Comics funerals now have a built-in line about awaiting "the inevitable resurrection" and not meaning eschatology.

And it's too bad about the triumvirate- it used to be you could count on Uncle Ben, Bucky, and Jason Todd staying dead. Now, I'm just waiting for the moment they bring Uncle Ben back.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 03:42:53 AM »

I liked Damian Wayne. I think DC Comics funerals now have a built-in line about awaiting "the inevitable resurrection" and not meaning eschatology.

And it's too bad about the triumvirate- it used to be you could count on Uncle Ben, Bucky, and Jason Todd staying dead. Now, I'm just waiting for the moment they bring Uncle Ben back.

He's been back.  Basically his revival is temporary and some plot twist later on will explain how Uncle Ben resurfaced.  But Marvel has brought Uncle Ben back in some way, shape or form, as I said.  Some of these instances are on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Ben
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 04:28:53 AM »

Never did liked Superman.  I mean, the only way to stop him is with Kryptonite or magic.  Although Lex Luthor must have found an entire asteroid's worth.

I'll second this for the comics: I've never really liked Superman's solo comics, with a few exceptions. As a member of the Justice League, or combined with Batman, he's a great character. I did have a minor nerd quibble with the Justice League/Avengers cross over (I have no problems with Superman lifting Thor's hammer- he's good and pure enough to do it. I have major problems with him catching the hammer while Thor is still holding on to it. No, none of that "magic is different in the Marvel/DC universes". Thor hits Superman with Mjolnir, Superman at the very least gets hurt, and quite probably flat out does not get up again).

I have enjoyed almost every adaptation of Superman, though. From the Fleischer Cartoons, the George Reeves Superman, the Superman movies except IV, to the Superboy live action series of the late 80's, Lois & Clark, the Superman cartoon of the '90s, to the Justice League cartoon from the same era, there is very little I haven't liked Superman in. Smallville, Superman IV and Returns are the exceptions to the rule.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 09:29:41 AM »

Big mistake bringing Jason Todd back, for what it added to Batman's drama. Killing his son now is not only a way for Morrison to close his participation in Batman, but also a way of bringing the "dead Robin" grief back. I'd rather have Jason Todd still dead, even if they retconned the story to update it.

Superman is an interesting character because he is one of the few who does what he does because he believes it to be right, not because of some trauma. And with all the power he has, the fact he never falls into the temptation of imposing his values on the world is also a very good inspiration. In not trying to engineer a "better world" or to destroy even the possibility of evil, but only its spot occurrences when and if they occur, he is also a role-model of conservative values in that regard.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:30:17 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »

I'm a Superman fanatic. Ever since I was as young as I can remember. I have a picture of myself in a superman costume at the age of three with my hands in the air as if I was about to lift off.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 02:26:29 PM »

I'm a Superman fanatic. Ever since I was as young as I can remember. I have a picture of myself in a superman costume at the age of three with my hands in the air as if I was about to lift off.

Around the same age, I was running around the house with a towel tied round my neck saying "Easy, miss, I've got you." (high pitched voice) "You've got me? Whose got you?"

This, of course, was when I wasn't Luke Skywalker, Spiderman and/or Iceman, or one of the two versions of the Incredible Hulk (Bill Bixby and animated).

choy
Archon

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 03:27:45 PM »

Was never much of a DC fan, but I always liked the secondary Justice League members.  Though I never followed any of the comics closely, I just like them better.  Like Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, even Red Tornado and Firestorm.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »

Was never much of a DC fan, but I always liked the secondary Justice League members.  Though I never followed any of the comics closely, I just like them better.  Like Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, even Red Tornado and Firestorm.
I was never much a marvel fan. I hate how emo the x-men are.

choy
Archon

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

Not too big on the X-Men either.  I only read them on crossovers.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »

The Avengers on the other hand, are quite likeable. Though I realize I sound like a jonny-come-lately on that.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 03:41:25 PM »

I always liked both Marvel and DC- though rarely at the same time. And there are often times when both companies become so dismal that I stop buying from the big two altogether for a while. Knightfall, followed by the Spiderman Clone Saga signaled the end of my comic buying obsession for the '90s. New 52 and Av/X has brought about the end this time around (only Morrison's Batman run, Peck's Hulk run, Gillen's X-Men, and Slott's work in Spiderman kept me interested this long- the end was almost the third DC Crisis in a decade and the cluster-bomb that was Civil War).

Atomic Robo, from Red 5 comics, is consistently awesome, at least.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »

I always liked both Marvel and DC- though rarely at the same time. And there are often times when both companies become so dismal that I stop buying from the big two altogether for a while. Knightfall, followed by the Spiderman Clone Saga signaled the end of my comic buying obsession for the '90s. New 52 and Av/X has brought about the end this time around (only Morrison's Batman run, Peck's Hulk run, Gillen's X-Men, and Slott's work in Spiderman kept me interested this long- the end was almost the third DC Crisis in a decade and the cluster-bomb that was Civil War).

When I was in middle school, it was The Death and Return of Superman, Knightfall, and Maximum Carnage (Spidey is my guilty Marvel Pleasure) that kept me interested. Once these ended, I didn't read comics again until I was thirty.

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »

When I was in middle school, it was The Death and Return of Superman, Knightfall, and Maximum Carnage (Spidey is my guilty Marvel Pleasure) that kept me interested. Once these ended, I didn't read comics again until I was thirty.

I started reading again around 20. Universal had just opened the IoA in Orlando, where I was working at the time- on Marvel Island, no less. There was a (Marvel only, of course) comic book store right around the corner from the roller coaster I worked at, and Marvel was just starting to get interesting again.

I loved Maximum Carnage as a teenager- and it was also hands down the best Spiderman game released by that point. It was after buying the compilation a few years ago that I realized just how bad that series was. Marvel and DC "in family" crossovers from that period really suffered from having far too many cooks in the story-telling kitchen. An issue that was well written would then be continued in an issue of worthless dreck, and the art would bounce all over the place.

choy
Archon

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »

I haven't read Spidey since Brand New Day.  I'm really disappointed with the reboot.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »

Hah, Maximum Carnage...

Was that game ridicuously hard or was it just to me?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:12 AM »

Hah, Maximum Carnage...

Was that game ridicuously hard or was it just to me?
Well, I played it on Sega Genesis, and never finished it. Though, I really did enjoy playing as Venom.

Tags: Batman and Robin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: