OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 05:46:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics and the Canons  (Read 300 times) Average Rating: 0
Cyrillic
Merarches

« on: February 28, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

Are the canons of the early local and ecumenical councils still in force in the Latin Catholic Church or have they all been replaced?

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »

Are the canons of the early local and ecumenical councils still in force in the Latin Catholic Church or have they all been replaced?

See:

As for the local councils, I guess you'd have to be specific, no?

Why do you ask?

Whether or not every canon of every council is uniformly enforced is a whole other matter.  Are they in the OC?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:47:59 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »

I just wondered since I often see canons from 3rd/4th century councils quoted on here as authoritative and the most recent RC book of canon law is from 1984 or something. So I wondered whether those old canons still retain their force in the Latin Church.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »

I just wondered since I often see canons from 3rd/4th century councils quoted on here as authoritative and the most recent RC book of canon law is from 1984 or something. So I wondered whether those old canons still retain their force in the Latin Church.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know.  I've never compared the canons of the early councils with the contents of the RC book of canon law.  That'd be waaaayyyyyyyyyyyy above my pay grade, enormously time consuming, and, for me, excruciatingly boring.  Cool

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »

Canon Law is different from Canons from councils.  I guess Canon Law would say which canons would be in force currently.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »

Fire zeeee canons.... I mean cannons!

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: