OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 08:55:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: correct protocol when writing to church  (Read 1020 times) Average Rating: 0
Stray

Place Personal Text Here

« on: January 14, 2005, 10:35:04 PM »

Hi friends,
I have been reading and thinking of Orthodoxy for a while now. I haven't committed myself any further because I don't want to act too impulsively... I'm giving myself a "coolling off period"
However, I have recently found the address of a Free Serbian Orthodox church within driving distance of where I live.
Now, trembling with anticipation, I am thinking of writing to them.Would it be right to start "Dear Father....."?
One of my worries is the ethnic issue. How important is this in the church in Australia? I am worried that they might tell me to go to an "Australian" church like the Anglicans or R.C.s
Thanks, Stray.

NULL
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:07:22 PM »

Hi, Stray.

Usually, the way to greet a priest is, "Father, bless."

I have no clue as to the percentage of ethnic Orthodox in Australia.  I would be willing to bet, though, that, if they're worth their salt, they wouldn't have you go anywhere else.

Welcome to the board!

Pedro

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 11:52:40 PM »

I'm afraid I can't be of much help, being a Yank Smiley I sincerely doubt they would have a problem as far as ethnicity though. Normally I start formal addresses (emails, letters, though not chat messages, etc.) with

Father X,

Father, Bless

[Christ is Born! --or whatever might be appropriate, if anything]

I'm so and so. I'm from such and such a place. I'm a part of such and such a group/parish [or this is my ecclesiastical situation]. Why I'm writing... yada yada yada. Thank you.

In Christ,

Justin Kissel

The only significant difference if I am writing to a bishop is that I say something like "Master, Bless" instead of "Father, Bless". Some of the links in this thread might be of some help if you really want to get the proper names, addresses, etc. down.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: