OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:29:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial feasts during great lent  (Read 569 times) Average Rating: 0
abdedaloho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Syrian Orthodox

St. Severus "The Crown of Syrians"

« on: February 28, 2013, 10:19:35 AM »

Slomo !

Is it forbidden to conduct Commemoration of any departed fathers /  Saints if the same happens to fall during the great Lent ?

Thank you.

"He became what we are so that he might make us what he is." — St. Athanasius of Alexandria
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »

Slomo !

Is it forbidden to conduct Commemoration of any departed fathers /  Saints if the same happens to fall during the great Lent ?

Thank you.

We allow funerals during the Great Lent so I don't see why we wouldn't allow commemorations. Besides, I really don't think the Church would forbid praying for someone.

IIRC, marriage is the only Koodasha forbidden during Lent.

Edit: I guess if you don't count the Pre-Sanctified Liturgy, we don't have midweek Qurbanas either.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:33:38 AM by sheenj » Logged
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »

During Lent, the Divine Liturgy (Holy Qurbana) is celebrated only on Saturday and Sunday. So if the feast of a saint/father happens to fall on a weekday during lent; there is no Divine Liturgy celebrated on that day to celebrate that feast. The commemoration of that father in the Divine Liturgy happens the next Sunday. The only exception to this is the feast of the "Annunciation to the Theotokos"  (Vachanippu Perunal) which happens on March 25th. For this feast the Divine Liturgy is celebrated even if it happens to be on a weekday in Lent. Actually if that feast happens on Holy Friday the Divine Liturgy for the feast of Annunciation is celebrated first before the Good Friday prayers start.

There are only three other instance when the Divine Liturgy is celebrated on a weekday during lent:

1) for mid-lent (paathi - nombu) when the "exaltation of the Holy Cross' is celebrated and the Holy Cross is errected in the middle of the church. This happens on a Wednesday.
https://sites.google.com/site/syrianorthodox/home/greatlent/mid-lent
2) for the 40th day of Lent (Nalpatham Velliyazhcha) when the triumph of Jesus Christ over the temptations of Satan after his own 40 days of fasting is celebrated. This happens on a Friday.
https://sites.google.com/site/syrianorthodox/home/greatlent/40th-friday
3) Holy Thursday of Holy week when the establishment of the Divine Liturgy and the Last Supper is commemorated.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:54:37 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »

During Lent, the Divine Liturgy (Holy Qurbana) is celebrated only on Saturday and Sunday. So if the feast of a saint/father happens to fall on a weekday during lent; there is no Divine Liturgy celebrated on that day to celebrate that feast. The commemoration of that father in the Divine Liturgy happens the next Sunday. The only exception to this is the feast of the "Annunciation to the Theotokos"  (Vachanippu Perunal) which happens on March 25th. For this feast the Divine Liturgy is celebrated even if it happens to be on a weekday in Lent. Actually if that feast happens on Holy Friday the Divine Liturgy for the feast of Annunciation is celebrated first before the Good Friday prayers start.

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, Do you happen to know more about the Presanctified liturgy that's supposed to used during the midweek? I've only read snippets here and there that mention it but have never seen any concrete rubrics.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, Do you happen to know more about the Presanctified liturgy that's supposed to used during the midweek? I've only read snippets here and there that mention it but have never seen any concrete rubrics.
I do not know the rubrics of the presanctified liturgy in the Syriac tradition. I have never seen or participated in one.  

I have seen presantified liturgy in the Byzantine (EO) tradition celebrated by a priest. I could get the text of that service if you like.

I have also seen a presantified liturgy in the Latin (RC) tradition celebrated by a deacon. There was a litany, readings from the Holy Bible and the deacon went to the box kept at the center of the altar ( I dont know what they call it), brought out the consecrated bread and gave communion to the congregation. From where I was standing I could only see bread; no wine. I don't think the Latin's has any restrictions about Mass being celebrated on weekdays during lent. I believe they went with distributing presanctified eucharist because only a deacon was available and no priest was available.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:33:32 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
abdedaloho

Jurisdiction: Syrian Orthodox

St. Severus "The Crown of Syrians"

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »

Thank you for clarifying my doubt.

"He became what we are so that he might make us what he is." — St. Athanasius of Alexandria
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 02:31:48 AM »

In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Annunciation to the Theotokos, one of the Great Feasts, occurs during the Great 40 Day Fast--the Feast Day of St. George is deferred to Bright Week, if it occurs during the lenten fast.  The church calendar notes which saints are commemorated daily.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:34:05 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »

In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Annunciation to the Theotokos, one of the Great Feasts, occurs during the Great 40 Day Fast--the Feast Day of St. George is deferred to Bright Week, if it occurs during the lenten fast.  The church calendar notes which saints are commemorated daily.

Who asked for that?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »

Wow, that'll make a difference at my parish. We're St. George's.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:31 AM »

Who asked for that?

It's always appreciated to learn about other traditions. I don't think there was any harm in the post.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: