OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 02:05:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only Begotten Son and the Roman Liturgy  (Read 553 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: February 27, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »

Why isn't the hymn "Only Begotten Son" found in the Roman Liturgy given it is a Chalcedonian Church?
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:20:52 AM »

Why isn't the hymn "Only Begotten Son" found in the Roman Liturgy given it is a Chalcedonian Church?

We attribute it to the Emperor Justinian; the Coptic Church attributes it to Pat. Severus of Antioch IIRC.

The theopaschite formula ('one of the Trinity suffered for us') was initially rejected by Pope Hormisdas as crypto-monophysite, when some Scythian monks first brought it to Rome in 521. Pope John II accepted it in 533 because of the Edicts of Emperor Justinian. Despite this, it never did permeate the rather conservative Roman liturgy. But the Latin dogmatic manuals do talk of a communicatio idiomatum (communication of properties between the two natures of Christ).

Theopaschism wasn't exactly Chalcedonian. It's rather a later corrective to Chalcedonian Christology.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:35:47 AM by Romaios » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »

All that ^, and because the Roman Catholic Church does not use the Divine Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom and St. Basil the Great.

The Roman Catholic Mass does include the Nicene Creed as a "theological statement of faith in the dogma of the Incarnation" which is what "Only Begotten Son" is, I believe. 

Is the hymn used in the Orthodox Western Rite liturgies?  If not, why not?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »

All that ^, and because the Roman Catholic Church does not use the Divine Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom and St. Basil the Great.

Both Divine Liturgies preceded the hymn.  It was a later insertion (as is a lot of elements of the Divine Liturgy as we have it today).  So if the emperor inserted it into the Eastern Liturgy, why not the Western?

The Roman Catholic Mass does include the Nicene Creed as a "theological statement of faith in the dogma of the Incarnation" which is what "Only Begotten Son" is, I believe. 

Well, we have the Creed to Wink

Good question.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »

Both Divine Liturgies preceded the hymn.  It was a later insertion (as is a lot of elements of the Divine Liturgy as we have it today).  So if the emperor inserted it into the Eastern Liturgy, why not the Western?

Dunno.  Why does it matter?  Was there a totally distinct Western liturgy at the time of its insertion into the DL?

angel angel

Good question.

Any answers?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:04:43 PM »

Good question.

Huh Eez outrage! Inserted into Holy Text! Sounds like like western innovation or worse!!  Wink
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »

Good question.

Huh Eez outrage! Inserted into Holy Text! Sounds like like western innovation or worse!!  Wink
Huh Eh?  Huh Something worse there is than western innovation??  Impossible!!!!

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »

They would have sung it outdoors, during the procession, to put the heretics to shame...

Actually, the akoimetoi were outraged - they seem to have lost sleep over it.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »

They would have sung it outdoors, during the procession, to put the heretics to shame...

There's very little in life that someone doesn't get upset about, even to the point of outrage.  Wink

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »

Huh Eez outrage! Inserted into Holy Text! Sounds like like western innovation or worse!!  Wink

There's very little in life that someone doesn't get upset about, even to the point of outrage.  Wink

The funny thing about it all is that initially the one upset was the Pope (Hormisdas). The akoimetoi were his allies in the East in rejecting theopaschism. Then came another Pope (John II) who was more docile towards the new Imperial Edicts on this issue and excommunicated the poor sleepless monks over it... Talk about papal infallibility and consistent magisterium back in the day!  Roll Eyes       
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:34:56 PM by Romaios » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »

Huh Eez outrage! Inserted into Holy Text! Sounds like like western innovation or worse!!  Wink

There's very little in life that someone doesn't get upset about, even to the point of outrage.  Wink

The funny thing about it all is that initially the one upset was the Pope (Hormisdas). The akoimetoi were his allies in the East in rejecting theopaschism. Then came another Pope (John II) who was more docile towards the new Imperial Edicts on this issue and excommunicated the poor sleepless monks over it... Talk about papal infallibility and consistent magisterium back in the day!  Roll Eyes       

Oh well......

And that was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before The Schism of +-1054.

Oh well.....

(And maybe you're ascribing some "papal infallibility" where none was meant to be.)

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »

(And maybe you're ascribing some "papal infallibility" where none was meant to be.)

Any talk of papal infallibility before Vatican I is an anachronism IMO.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:48:31 PM by Romaios » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »

I think that's kinda what I meant  Wink.

choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »

What?  You mean St. Peter didn't infallibly and supremely judged the First Council of Jerusalem and St. James spoke only in his behalf?

Roll Eyes
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »

And you wonder why they don't want to sing your songs.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »

And you wonder why they don't want to sing your songs.

I'm asking because the hymn is attribute to the Emperor St. Justinian.  He would have strong-armed the inclusion of the hymn.  In the first millennium, the Emperor usually gets more universal ordinary jurisdiction than the Pope Wink
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »

I think you have used the phrase 'universal ordinary jurisdiction' more in the last two weeks than anyone ever.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: