Author Topic: Beyonce - A Celebrity gone too far?  (Read 12106 times)

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
Re: Beyonce - A Celebrity gone too far?
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:14 AM »
Glad I don't go to church anymore.

:(
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
Anyone remember the story about St. Nonnus and his fellow bishops seeing a celebrity (Pelagia) pass by?

http://www.chrysostompress.org/lives_8_october.html

Always loved St. Pelagia, St. Nonus, and St. James the Deacon who brought us the story.
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:51 PM »

Uh, I've changed since then, thankfully.  ;) :angel:
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »

Uh, I've changed since then, thankfully.  ;) :angel:

Oh, good. I'm glad you are feeling better. :)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »
Her music needs more cowbell.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2014, 04:20:27 AM »
Her music needs more cowbell.

+1

With some accordion and bagpipes mixed in. I hear she's working on a Southern rock album with a Celtic feel. Should be interesting.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Babalon

• Resident Occultist
  • I am everywhere the centre.
    • A.'.A.'.
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2014, 06:14:45 AM »
Well, her and Jay-Z are already freemasons, so does it really surprise you? Both of them are fake.

She cant be a Freemason.

Why not? I know Orthodox Christians who are even though they're not supposed to. You never saw the Run This Town video a few years ago that the media went crazy over due to the odd references like "Do What Thou Wilt" or something?

She can be, but it's very unlikely. Generally lodges don't accept women. There are some women's groups, but I'm not sure if they have full status.

As for the 'do what thou wilt' reference, that's from Thelema, not Freemasonry. The media are still severely allergic to ol' Mr Crowley. :D

Think again if you think that phrase originated with the Great Beast.

Given your reading list, I would expect a skewed understanding of Crowley.

Where is Babalon when you need him?

The origin matters little. Alistair was well known for looting sources without crediting them. For the casual skimmer, the phrase, and a few more, are forever linked to him, with the usual results. I bet he'd love it.

Oh lord.

Well, as the OC.net's resident Crowley scholar (its Aleister not Alistair) I would be of even less value if I did not chime in and clarify this small matter. The phrase "Do what thou wilt" was coined by a Franciscan monk François Rabelais in the 16th century. It was the motto of the Abbey in his fictional works  Gargantua and Pantagruel.

The phrase reappeared within the context of Crowley's mystical career during the reception of The Book of The Law in Cairo, Egypt 1904. The text was supposedly dictated to him by a "praeterhuman intelligence" by the name of Aiwass, whom Crowley would later identify as his own holy guardian angel or "higher genius". The interpretation of the phrase "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" is not to be understood as a license to hedonism but rather a commandment for each man and woman to discover and live out this sort of transcendental "True" will that each is said to possess.

It's quite possible though i couldn't find a reliable citation for it, that Aleister Crowley was previously familiar with Rabelais' work and therefor consciously or unconsciously incorporated it into his system. In either case, he made open acknowledgement of the connection and considered Rabelais to be a sort of forerunner, one who caught a glimpse of the spiritual state of the future, and thus canonized him as a saint within the Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica.

When it comes to certain celebrities and the alleged obsession they're said to have with this man Crowley and his work, a few things should be noted about them. I will name the most well known and "controversial" ones, and assess their level of interest:

Jay z and Beyonce: Beyond the imagery used in some of her performances, which some could, if they wanted to be imaginative, call "occult", there seems to be absolutely no evidence that she has any true interest in any sort of esoteric philosophy. On the set of some music video, Jay Z was pictured wearing a sweatshirt with the words "Do what thou wilt" across the chest. Its evident that he, like many others in the eye of the public tend to interpret the phrase in an exoteric fashion- which is "Do what you want" or "Do what you like". Crowley in his writings, went to great lengths to explain the proper interpretation, which these people seem to be ignorant of. Jay's own clothing line have shown some symbols that remind one of the symbols of freemasonry, however i haven't found any compelling evidence in his music that he is promoting any particular philosophy that hasn't been promoted by rockstars and hiphop artists in the past. Nothing too occult here.

Ozzy Osbourne: As ive mentioned in the past, Ozzy couldn't pronounce the man's name right (it's Crow-lee) so i wont put any faith in his studies, Zakk Wylde seems to confirm Ozzy's absolute ignorance about Aleister Crowley in this interview here:
http://loudwire.com/zakk-wylde-praises-randy-rhoads-talks-black-sabbath-recalls-funny-ozzy-osbourne-moment/ WARNING: Some NSFW language may be within.

Jimmy Page of Led Zepplin, who once owned Crowleys mansion on Lake Loch Ness and a collection of his books and artwork, seems to be the only one who had a real interest in his work. Having ordered the inscription of the words "Do what thou wilt" on the inner lining of Zepplins IV album vinyl.  Though Kenneth Anger, the filmaker and Thelemite once criticized Page for having been far too interested in heroin to ever practice the magic and mysticism of Crowleys system. According to him, it would seem Page was just another, albeit a bit more enthusiastic, fan of Crowley's rockstar-badboy-rebel persona he portrayed to the press.

I'll go back to my cell now.
We have a resident Crowley scholar?  Who knew.

What is it with gnostics popping up on here.  Why are they attracted to Orthodoxy?  ???
Perhaps Gnusticism's highest aspirations can only be fulfilled in orghodoxy. And here I'd insert some quotes about the body or whatever earthly pleasures there are by some elders but I'm lazy to look them up and I'm on my phone.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  ???

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2014, 08:29:35 AM »
Four pages about a celebrity? You actually care what she is, says or wears?
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Babalon

• Resident Occultist
    • A.'.A.'.
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2014, 08:47:01 AM »

You'd be surprised. It becomes an especially hot-topic when the person becomes convinced that there is a celebrity or group of celebrities who are immersed in a satanic mystery school who's purpose is the institution of a one-world government.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »

...there is a celebrity or group of celebrities who are immersed in a satanic mystery school who's purpose is the institution of a one-world government.
Like George Clooney?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Babalon

• Resident Occultist
    • A.'.A.'.
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »

...there is a celebrity or group of celebrities who are immersed in a satanic mystery school who's purpose is the institution of a one-world government.
Like George Clooney?

If this isn't a joke, then please elaborate.  :police: