OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 01:54:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Composite Readings of Vespers  (Read 419 times) Average Rating: 0
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« on: February 26, 2013, 08:36:54 AM »

So, in doing regular reader's services at our house (with the blessing and guidance of our parish priest) we've been using the text from oca.org when it's available for a particular service. Usually, for those unfamiliar, they will only post the Vespers and Liturgy portions...leaving us to put together Matins (which we do and is not the scope of this OP, just a little rant...)

Anyway, when oca.org lists readings at Vespers, sometimes those are composites. It will tell you that it is a composite reading, give you the number (e.g., "Composite 4", "Composite 7", etc.) Then, however, they may do one of two things. They may tell you the chapters and verses involved in that reading, so that you can pull out a Bible and be able to read it, skipping over the parts not in the reading. Or, they may say nothing so that you have no idea what the composite is actually...well, composed of, meaning you can't look it up anywhere to read it.

For example, if you go right now to their Liturgical Texts page, you can see the Vespers and Liturgy sheets up for both last Sunday, which was Publican and Pharisee was well as the 1st and 2nd Finding of the Honorable Head of St. John the Baptist (this was Feb. 24). You can also see a Vespers service for tonight (for the commemoration tomorrow, Feb. 27) of the repose of St. Raphael of Brooklyn. The former has three composite readings for St. John, and it is noted beside each one what the chapter/verse is for that composite. However, for St. Raphael, there's only one composite reading. It says "Composite 2" and doesn't tell you what the reading is composed of, then lists the next reading.

I can't read these composites at our services unless I know what the reading is from, and so it useless for me to see the reference to a composite reading without being told what that reading is supposed to be. Leading me into my question...is there a list somewhere of the composite readings of Vespers that enumerates the chapter/verse of each composite? I'm looking for a list that would say something like:

Composite 1 - Proverbs 4:1-3, 14, 23, 5:2, 4, 12-15.
Composite 2 - Wisdom of Solomon 1:5-7, 10, 15-17
etc...

Any ideas where I could find something like that? Thanks to all for your help!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »

So...nothin'?

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »

Never heard of "composites" (although I try to stay away from nit picks in liturgics-my OCD would run rampant). Try emailing the oca website for an explanation.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »

There is a book, I think it is called a Prophetology or something like that. It has all the Scripture reading for Vespers. It is very similar to the Epistle book in that it has the readings in chronological order, and when there are repeats of the readings it cross-references.

It could be that whatever translation of this book the OCA is using numbers readings that are used on several occasions. I have only seen this book in monasteries since it is a redundant book as most Menaion contain the Scripture readings.

I think you just need to contact the person who does these for the OCA and asked them where you can find a list of these composite readings.

Joseph
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »

There is a book, I think it is called a Prophetology or something like that. It has all the Scripture reading for Vespers. It is very similar to the Epistle book in that it has the readings in chronological order, and when there are repeats of the readings it cross-references.
You're looking for the word "Prophetologion". There is a translation that can be downloaded (PDF) here; the link at the right will download the entire book, the link lower on the page will give just a one-page blurb. The full version is 360 pages long, so I haven't bothered printing it out!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »

Here is the link for the entire book http://almoutran.com/pdf/PROPHETOLOGION-Full.pdf

Joseph
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:23:19 PM »

I had heard of the Prophetologion...and I never knew where to find one. Thank you all!

I may also email oca.org and ask for further information. Again, many thanks!

Tags: reading  Scripture  composite  Vespers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: