OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:58:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godspell vs. Jesus Chris Superstar  (Read 1907 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: October 20, 2006, 01:46:59 AM »

Which is the better Biblically-themed rock opera? I believe that Jesus Christ Superstar has a better soundtrack, and I loved seeing the broadway version live, but Godspell has the better movie adaptation.
The lead singer from Deep Purple, from the original Jesus Christ Superstar concept album, plays a much cooler Jesus than the movie version's.

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:13:15 AM »

I prefer JCS...especially the BBC film version. Godspell is just folk-song for my taste. Plus I like the interesting approach to Judas in JCS. I hated the 70's film version of JCS.

Proverbs 22:7
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 01:48:51 PM »

I really don't like the BBC version, mostly because Judas is played as the comic relief.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:58:47 PM »

It is probably not a good to listen to Jesus Christ Superstar because of the way it portrays Judas Iscariot.  Especially if you are swayed by Rice's words in Heaven on their Minds...."my mind is clearer now, at last all to well I can see.....Jesus, you started to believe these things they say of you; you really do believe all this talk of God is true.  And all the things you've done will soon get swept away; you've become to matter more than the things you say."   Anyway, it was an interesting idea to portray Jesus's final days through Judas's eyes. However it is too sympathetic towards Judas.

Juliana
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 04:23:37 PM »

I prefer JCS...especially the BBC film version. Godspell is just folk-song for my taste. Plus I like the interesting approach to Judas in JCS. I hated the 70's film version of JCS.

Huh??  Huh

Stephen Schwartz and a gaggle of famous hymn texts?
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 04:27:54 PM »

Actually, I think Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is better than either and a lot more fun to boot. (The Donny Osmond version of a few years back is great.)

"It's all there in Chapter 39 of Genesis...."

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 04:42:44 PM »

Especially with the interesting dual role for Joan Collins of the tidy, tweedy piano playing teacher and Potiphar's Wife done in *very* 20's/30' Deco. And the Pharoah/Elvis.  Lots of fun and good music.

Then there's
"When I think of his last great battle
A lump comes to my throat
It takes a man who knows no fear
To wrestle with a goat"

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 04:45:14 PM »

Otoh, Godspell does have this bit:

Jesus: Did I ever tell you I used to read feet?
Jeffrey: You used to... what?
Jesus: Some people read palms or tea leaves. I read feet. Look what it says!
[looks at Jeffrey's foot]
Jesus: Ahh, it says "Rejoice."
Jeffrey: [looking at his foot] It says "Keds."

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 10:48:51 PM »

I think Godspell has some good comic moments.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 12:19:55 AM »

Godspell, hands down

More biblical, more in tune with the New Testament narrative and much better lyrical and musical content

God Save the People
By the Rivers there, we hung up our life (By the Rivers of Babylon?)
Day By Day

these are great tunes

Never saw either movie, but saw the live production of each several times

Godspell kicks Superstar butt!!
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 08:23:39 PM »

Godspell, no question. I tried to sit through JCS the movie and was having a really hard time taking it seriously at all, what with the way the score is (i.e. so many notes sung loud and high in a range that I don't necessarily enjoy hearing a man sing in). Godspell on the other hand is wonderful because of its folk quality, and also because so many of the lyrics and text come straight from the Bible -- plus, I love the fact that it brings out the element of story that is so integral to our faith -- Jesus Christ is the greatest storyteller.

Godspell. Hands down. Not even a question. Smiley

D

hmmmm...
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 09:29:49 PM »

I really don't like the BBC version, mostly because Judas is played as the comic relief.

i must be thinking of a differetn version then.

Proverbs 22:7
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 02:23:18 AM »

i must be thinking of a differetn version then.

The one where he's white and wears a leather jacket?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »

I haven't seen them live, and only JCS as a movie, but if I can judge from the soundtracks, I prefer JCS. Godspell seems like music you'd hear at a folk mass, which just isn't my taste. I love Gethsemane and have to sing along with it when I'm playing it.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 10:52:09 PM »

Has anyone seen The Cottonpatch Gospel?

I saw it in Atlanta probably over 20 years ago and found it to be much like Godspell in its keeping pretty much to the text and the music was more bluegrass and country.

It was pretty awesome.

The text of the musical was based on Clarence Jordan's paraphrase of the New Testament into the vernacular of the South, called the Cotton Patch Version of the New Testatment.

Clarence Jordan, BTW, was a great Christian man. He founded an inter-racial Christian community in rural Georgia dedicated to living out the gospel directives to live simply and share generously. And he did it even before the civil rights movement took legs!

Also, he was careful to note that this was not a translation, He was just trying to put the words of the Bible into the words of everyday rural southerners. He recommended the Revised Standard Version for serious Bible Study.

Clarence Jordan died in 1969 at only 57 years old. He was way ahead of his time. May his memory be eternal.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:39:51 PM »

I have a hard time stomaching some JCS songs because of the blasphemy. Godspell is pretty good, it doesn't seem to have any agenda. And it's very scriptural (Bless the Lord and By the Willows are, of course, psalms).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:40:19 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: