Author Topic: How do we properly venerate a Saint? Or an icon?  (Read 354 times)

Offline Faith2545

• Elder
How do we properly venerate a Saint? Or an icon?
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
I pray to my icons in my room during my time of need. Sometimes for a minute, but others I've spent as much as an hour.

I do as I'm told..."go in my room, shut the door and pray to Christ where only He can see me in secret." I recite the Lord's Prayer when I'm finished, but I usually "talk" about how I'm feeling and what my heat's 'needs' are.

This is what I also do when I vernerate the icons of Saints that I have. I know that each Saint has a specific way of helping me and I simple ask, or beseech that particular Saint for their help. Is this proper?

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Protokentarchos
Re: How do we properly venerate a Saint? Or an icon?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »
I think you walk in bow the kiss the corner of the icon before you worship.

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Merarches
  • Resistance is futile
  • Faith: Crypto-Universalist heresy
  • Jurisdiction: FOCIOF
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
I don't think any way of venerating Saints could be improper provided that they don't displace our regular prayer rules.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Faith2545

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »
I pray to my icons in my room during my time of need. Sometimes for a minute, but others I've spent as much as an hour.

I do as I'm told..."go in my room, shut the door and pray to Christ where only He can see me in secret." I recite the Lord's Prayer when I'm finished, but I usually "talk" about how I'm feeling and what my heat's 'needs' are.

This is what I also do when I vernerate the icons of Saints that I have. I know that each Saint has a specific way of helping me and I simple ask, or beseech that particular Saint for their help. Is this proper?

Thank you for your answers. Sorry, I lacked clarification in my post - I meant at home. I know how at church.