Author Topic: Dolce & Gabbana Using Icons as part of Winter 14 Fashion Line  (Read 12350 times)

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Using Icons as part of Winter 14 Fashion Line
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:17 PM »
Sort of veering off-topic a bit, but this mosaic came up on the image search for the Chanel 2011 collection.  Does anyone know who or what event it portrays, and where it's located?  I think it's beautiful and the colours are so vibrant. :)

Thanks
Deborah
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
Sort of veering off-topic a bit, but this mosaic came up on the image search for the Chanel 2011 collection.  Does anyone know who or what event it portrays, and where it's located?  I think it's beautiful and the colours are so vibrant. :)

Thanks
Deborah

That's Empress Theodora and her entourage, on a wall of the Basilica di San Vitale, in Ravenna. There's a similar depiction of Justinian on the opposite wall.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »

Thanks
Deborah

That's Empress Theodora and her entourage, on a wall of the Basilica di San Vitale, in Ravenna. There's a similar depiction of Justinian on the opposite wall.

that's incredible that you can just recall that!  how did you know that off the top of your head?!
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »
That's a beautiful mosaic.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »

Thanks
Deborah

that's incredible that you can just recall that!  how did you know that off the top of your head?!

I went to Greek school. ;) Both mosaics are incredibly common images when Byzantine history comes up.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »

Thanks
Deborah

Thanks Arachne :)
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)

Offline Pan Michał

• Elder
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »

That's no way to talk about Michal.

Umm, he's not Polish.  :police:

That's right.

Wasn't Pan Michal a Pole? Maybe that's who he was talking about.

He wrote in other thread he comes from Podlachian family. IDK whether he considers himself a Pole or a Podlachian.

Hi everyone, I'm back and quite alive. Sorry for redigging thread and a bit of awkward offtop offtop, but still what's better to do at 2 am. So, get ready for my Poliglish.

I'm of Polish/Podlachian/Belarusian/Ukrainian/Lithuanian descendance and consider myself being everyone of them.

Not a big fan of XIX century German theory of ethnicity.

If anyone cares, that is.