Author Topic: Dolce & Gabbana Using Icons as part of Winter 14 Fashion Line  (Read 18678 times)

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Dolce & Gabbana Using Icons as part of Winter 14 Fashion Line
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:17 PM »
Sort of veering off-topic a bit, but this mosaic came up on the image search for the Chanel 2011 collection.  Does anyone know who or what event it portrays, and where it's located?  I think it's beautiful and the colours are so vibrant. :)

Thanks
Deborah
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
Sort of veering off-topic a bit, but this mosaic came up on the image search for the Chanel 2011 collection.  Does anyone know who or what event it portrays, and where it's located?  I think it's beautiful and the colours are so vibrant. :)

Thanks
Deborah

That's Empress Theodora and her entourage, on a wall of the Basilica di San Vitale, in Ravenna. There's a similar depiction of Justinian on the opposite wall.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »

Thanks
Deborah

That's Empress Theodora and her entourage, on a wall of the Basilica di San Vitale, in Ravenna. There's a similar depiction of Justinian on the opposite wall.

that's incredible that you can just recall that!  how did you know that off the top of your head?!
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »
That's a beautiful mosaic.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »

Thanks
Deborah

that's incredible that you can just recall that!  how did you know that off the top of your head?!

I went to Greek school. ;) Both mosaics are incredibly common images when Byzantine history comes up.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Deborah

• Never look back
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »

Thanks
Deborah

Thanks Arachne :)
Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM :)

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine (my patron saint)

Offline Pan Michał

• Elder
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »

That's no way to talk about Michal.

Umm, he's not Polish.  :police:

That's right.

Wasn't Pan Michal a Pole? Maybe that's who he was talking about.

He wrote in other thread he comes from Podlachian family. IDK whether he considers himself a Pole or a Podlachian.

Hi everyone, I'm back and quite alive. Sorry for redigging thread and a bit of awkward offtop offtop, but still what's better to do at 2 am. So, get ready for my Poliglish.

I'm of Polish/Podlachian/Belarusian/Ukrainian/Lithuanian descendance and consider myself being everyone of them.

Not a big fan of XIX century German theory of ethnicity.

If anyone cares, that is.