OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 01:37:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hong Kong Metropolitanate continues to excommunicate  (Read 608 times) Average Rating: 0
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« on: August 08, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »

This bishop seems to be very bored:

A few weeks ago some men who formed a parish in Taiwan under Moscow were excommunicated. Now a gentleman from the Philippines has been excommunicated...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »

The church should excommunicate schismatics, who represent themselves as Orthodox, but are self-appointed.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »

I'm willing to bet that the so-called schismatic group is probably the Patriarchate of Moscow. That's what turned out to be the 'schismatic group' the last time that particular hierarch made a public excommunication.

Edit: one of the commenters on that blog seems to confirm my suspicion.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 01:34:03 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »

The church should excommunicate schismatics, who represent themselves as Orthodox, but are self-appointed.

Does Moscow Patriarchate "represent themselves as Orthodox, but are self-appointed"?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »

I'm willing to bet that the so-called schismatic group is probably the Patriarchate of Moscow. That's what turned out to be the 'schismatic group' the last time that particular hierarch made a public excommunication.

Monk Felipe Balingit is a member of the Moscow Patriarchate, under the ROCOR Metropolitan Hilarion.  Seems like there's going to be another situation between the EP and the MP.  When will this end?

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »

I withdraw this comment if, indeed, the individual at issue is a cleric of the Patriarchate of Moscow, Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, or if he's a cleric of any of the Holy Orthodox Churches; the churches whose prelates are commemorated within the Diptychs.  The article had seemed to me as if the individual was self-ordained, or associated with a schismatic entity.  If the individual is a canonical cleric, the Holy Metropolis of Hong Kong would not even have the authority to excommunicate.  Is excommunication within the authority of a diocesan bishop, or isn't the bishop responsible to bring the matter before the Synod under which he serves?  A bishop can bar one of his own priests, monks or laity, from Holy Communion, but can he unilaterally excommunicate a cleric?  I wouldn't think he could.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:57:32 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »

I withdraw this comment if, indeed, the individual at issue is a cleric of the Patriarchate of Moscow, Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, or if he's a cleric of any of the Holy Orthodox Churches; the churches whose prelates are commemorated within the Diptychs.  The article had seemed to me as if the individual was self-ordained, or associated with a schismatic entity.  If the individual is a canonical cleric, the Holy Metropolis of Hong Kong would not even have the authority to excommunicate.  Is excommunication within the authority of a diocesan bishop, or isn't the bishop responsible to bring the matter before the Synod under which he serves?  A bishop can bar one of his own priests, monks or laity, from Holy Communion, but can he unilaterally excommunicate a cleric?  I wouldn't think he could.

It's not an article. It's a pronouncement by a bishop who seems to have too much free time and needs to find some hobby.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »

I withdraw this comment if, indeed, the individual at issue is a cleric of the Patriarchate of Moscow, Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, or if he's a cleric of any of the Holy Orthodox Churches; the churches whose prelates are commemorated within the Diptychs.  The article had seemed to me as if the individual was self-ordained, or associated with a schismatic entity.  If the individual is a canonical cleric, the Holy Metropolis of Hong Kong would not even have the authority to excommunicate.  Is excommunication within the authority of a diocesan bishop, or isn't the bishop responsible to bring the matter before the Synod under which he serves?  A bishop can bar one of his own priests, monks or laity, from Holy Communion, but can he unilaterally excommunicate a cleric?  I wouldn't think he could.

It's not an article. It's a pronouncement by a bishop who seems to have too much free time and needs to find some hobby.

I wish all EOs had this approach to the ecclesiastical politics. We would have a lot less problems.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »

I wish all EOs had this approach to the ecclesiastical politics. We would have a lot less problems.

Paraphrasing Dante: The roads in hell are paved with the heads of priests, and the lampposts are the bishops. True then, true sadly today.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »

Paraphrasing Dante: The roads in hell are paved with the heads of priests, and the lampposts are the bishops. True then, true sadly today.

I thought that was St. John Chrysostom.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »

I thought that was St. John Chrysostom.

Both.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: