OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:12:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twelve signs that the Orthodox Church is the True Church  (Read 700 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: February 25, 2013, 01:42:01 AM »

Today an Inquirer asked me to give at least 12 signs that the Orthodox Church is Christ's True and only Church. I provided hmi with several. What twelve would you give him?

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »

How about the names of the 12 Apostles?
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:18:19 AM »

I like the 12 apostles answer.

I don't have 12 more.

Hearing about non-decomposing saints pretty much impresses me.

Historic lineage as a church.

Lack of changing theology. Who needs change when you got it right?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:32:41 AM »

Echad Mi Yodea?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »

Echad Mi Yodea?
What is that?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:47:20 AM »

Opps. Apparently there are 13 not 12 signs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echad_Mi_Yodea

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:51:28 AM »

The "twelve signs" question sounds familiar. Is your friend LDS or talking to LDS missionaries? Years ago when I looked into that faith,  they were citing 'twelve signs' as a proof of their religion.

Here's a link to an LDS article by the same title:
http://www.mtgriffith.com/web_documents/12signs.htm

"Who touches, is also touched"
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »

What does the Lord say about those who seek signs?
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »

The Question perhaps needs a little more clarification. The young man is a 17 year old who, facing many differing denominations, is trying to figure out WHY the Orthodox Church is the True Church over the other churches and denominations. He is coming out of an Evangelical Bible Church   and does not agree with the sola scriptura rigidity of that nondenominational church. His concern is that the Orthodox Church claims to be THE CHURCH, and he is confused about the other "Christian" churches---Why aren't they part of THE CHURCH in the view of the Orthodox---so what he is really asking is what are the signs or points of belief that make the Orthodox Church different from the others and thus be the TRUE Church. What makes the True Church different from the other denominations in the world.

Note I have already given him:
1) Apostolicity (he says that Rome Claims that as well)
2) Unchanging doctrine or teaching. (no response to that)
3) A clear line of worship formula back to the Didache (Teachings of the Apostles) - he notes a similar line with the  Roman catholics, Episcopal, Lutheran i.e. the Liturgical Churches.
4) Worship conforming to the worship in Heaven (Book of Revelations)
5) Congregations of Saints (Modern and ancient going back to our Lord Jesus Christ)
6)Apostolic Succession (clainms Rome and Epsicopalians have this)

What are some of the signs that you would have given him?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:03:11 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »

What does the Lord say about those who seek signs?

Brilliant! Cheesy

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »

13.   Thirteen are the temperaments of God

Exactly what are the 13 temperaments of God?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Joseph Hazen

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »

7) Respect of God's mystery, and the apophatic theology that acknowledges the limits of human reason.
Cool Maintaining the collegial ecclesiology that is found in Scripture and history
9) Maintaining the original weekly fasts proscribed by the Didache (Wednesday and Friday)
10) Continued celebration of the ancient feasts in the ancient way (We're the only ones who do the Sunday of Orthodoxy or, as far as I know, have feasts for the Fathers of Councils)
11) The only Church that continues the practice of Baptism, Communion, and Chrismation for infants
12) The only Church that still practices the original method of glorifying saints.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »

Since all Trinitarian Christians use the same source document, there are bound to be similarities, or agreements, on the basic principles of the Gospel. That said, the differences are important, not because they are differences per se, but because they point to correct praxis and beliefs. For example, take the idea of apostolic succession in the context of the Creed (in one holy, catholic and Apostolic Church). Clearly, apostolic succession does not refer only to consecrations of bishops by those whose own consecration reaches back to the apostles. Here, we are also expecting that the newly consecrated bishop  is in agreement with the Apostles' teachings and practices. Clearly, the Roman Catholic Church and other heterodox churches that claim to have apostolic succession fail the second test. There is of course a huge problem with many Protestants not paying attention to, or glossing over, John 6. Thus, one ends up with one answer: only the Eastern Orthodox Church is truly the "one holy, catholic and apostolic Church."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:39:42 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »

It sounds as if you've covered the rational/logical arguments for Orthodoxy fairly well. I'd suggest discussing the continuing tradition of asceticism & mysticism that is unique to Orthodoxy, and the consistency of miracles (light-bearing Saints,  etc.) that trace back through the history of the Church.  No denomination that I know of offers a methodical (if that's the right word) path to theosis...which is what the soul hungers for.

"Who touches, is also touched"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: