OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:21:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: in which countries do protestants celebrate Pascha together with the orthodox?  (Read 973 times) Average Rating: 0
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« on: February 24, 2013, 05:07:34 PM »

hi, i am trying to plan my march / may time (including protestant family / friends) and i am wondering in which countries do protestants celebrate easter together with the orthodox, as opposed to with catholics, as in north america and western europe?

for example in romania, everyone, except the very small catholic minority celebrates easter on the orthodox calendar (i mean 5th may, so there is no confusion, i am not trying to start a calendar discussion!)

what about the russians and ukrainians? do protestants there celebrate in may?

the protestants i know in cyprus celebrate together with the catholics (i can't imagine how they cope, i mean, they must have to use blackout curtains to escape the very big Paschal celebrations everywhere).

i was thinking of going there towards the end of lent, but travel prices are extremely high, and also i am not sure i can handle the orthodox Paschal denial thing that is going on with the people i will visit.
(everything is shut! you can't get anything done in this country! me: 'don't emigrate there then'!)
also there is the fasting thing, staying in a non orthodox house towards the end of lent and politely declining food and drink (may have to escape to a monastery...)

do you have any information or advice?
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:37:55 AM »

hi, i am trying to plan my march / may time (including protestant family / friends) and i am wondering in which countries do protestants celebrate easter together with the orthodox, as opposed to with catholics, as in north america and western europe?

for example in romania, everyone, except the very small catholic minority celebrates easter on the orthodox calendar (i mean 5th may, so there is no confusion, i am not trying to start a calendar discussion!)

what about the russians and ukrainians? do protestants there celebrate in may?

the protestants i know in cyprus celebrate together with the catholics (i can't imagine how they cope, i mean, they must have to use blackout curtains to escape the very big Paschal celebrations everywhere).

i was thinking of going there towards the end of lent, but travel prices are extremely high, and also i am not sure i can handle the orthodox Paschal denial thing that is going on with the people i will visit.
(everything is shut! you can't get anything done in this country! me: 'don't emigrate there then'!)
also there is the fasting thing, staying in a non orthodox house towards the end of lent and politely declining food and drink (may have to escape to a monastery...)

If you're at someone else's house and they serve you food, then set aside your fast and eat what they serve you, for Christian love toward your host family is more important than your ascetic disciplines.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:39:19 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:21:17 AM »

it's true, i have to learn lots of patience and be more compassionate.
i am working on more love and less moaning (sorry).

which other countries (other than romania) have protestants celebrating Pascha with the orthodox?
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:25 AM »

Bulgaria Smiley
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »

Southern ALBANIA and all GREECE celebrate Easter on the same date as Orthodox.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 04:05:22 PM »

travel prices are extremely high,

In comparison with Britain, Greece is still delightfully cheap. So is Albania, but I suggest you should have contacts to visit if you go to Albania, unless you speak the language and know your way round, in which case it could be delightful. Try Gjirokastër (Argyrocastro).

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »

Protestant Ukrainians
Protestant Georgians

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »

Finland (Orthodox celebrate Pascha on Gregorian date).
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:27:37 AM »

I know this is random, but am I the only one who finds it hilarious in the United States when Church-hopping Protestants and lapsed Roman Catholics all occassionally drift toward the Orthodox Church on western Easter, expecting a big Easter service, only to find that we are celebrating Palm Sunday?  Cheesy

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »

If they did that this year, it'd be on the Sunday of St Gregory Palamas. How apropos.  Wink
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »

thanks for all the info, guys.
i have been meaning to go to albania for very many years, haven't got around to it yet.
i know 2 words in albanian, so have a long way to go!
hopefully will be there sometime...
 Smiley
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 07:11:53 AM »

I'm sure this is true in the area you're familiar with, but it isn't over on my wife's side of the mountains. Also over that side the Roman Catholic minority is rather less tiny, though, so that may explain it. I've also certainly never heard of Romanian Lutherans celebrating Easter with the Orthodox (except when the two coincide, of course!), though and they're certainly much more common in Transylvania than in Moldova

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 05:23:14 PM »

interesting, all the baptists, evangelicals and pentecostals i know, mostly on the east, but a few in west romania celebrate with the orthodox.
they call it 'catholic easter' and laugh as if it was a funny idea!
if i remember rightly, the evangelical diaspora in uk celebrate with the catholics.
i still only know a few orthodox romanians (working on it...) so most of my romanian easter experiences have been protestant.

although last year, we happened to be over there for 'catholic easter' and joined the last part of the paschal vigil mass in a very packed church,
and i went to the palm sunday liturgy the next morning which felt a little strange!
i do like the fact that you can get 'fasting food' during lent in romania, and no-one gives you strange looks if you order vegan stuff in a restaurant.
 Smiley
David Young
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:31:47 AM »

all the baptists, evangelicals and pentecostals i know,... celebrate with the orthodox.
they call it 'catholic easter'

I have only heard it (in English, among the missionaries) called "Orthodox Easter" in Albania. The phrase "Catholic Easter" refers to the western date.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: