OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 12:01:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: But, Father, what should I DO?!  (Read 433 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: February 24, 2013, 02:35:16 AM »

Dear friends in Christ,

I was so perplexed about what I should do about my feelings (I left the Church over them, as you'll recall.)  I kept telling Father in confession that I wished Christ would just sit next to me and tell me what I should do.  Father lent me a book, and in it I've found the answer.  I know that some of you struggle or know someone who struggles with this, so I thought I'd share.

“First of all, Christians with same-sex attractions will ceaselessly pray, as all Christians must, in all the ways God provides.  They will practice personal prayer in their rooms.  They will devote themselves to unceasing prayer in their minds and hearts.  they will also engage in spiritual reading.  They will constantly read the Bible, especially the psalms and New Testament writings, with the lives and teachings of Christian saints.  They will practice silence, both exterior and interior.  They will fast and practice periodic abstinence from certain foods.  They will guard their senses.  They will work in wholesome occupations for the good of others and engage in wholesome hobbies essential to their own well-beings.  They will share their possessions with others, especially those poorer than themselves and those in special need.  They will also support the Church’s missionary, philanthropic, and pastoral work.  They will discipline their bodies with vigils and prostrations.  In addition, these Christians will do whatever it takes to control their carnal, emotional, and spiritual lusts.  They will “crucify the flesh with it’s passions and desires” in order not to “fulfill” its “lust” (Gal. 5:16-24)”

-Fr. Thomas Hopko (Christian Faith and Same-Sex Attraction: Eastern Orthodox Reflections)
The book may be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Faith-Same-Sex-Attraction/dp/1888212756
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:36:55 AM by Tikhon.of.Colorado » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:31:28 AM »

Sounds like very hard work. I pray you are able and happy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »

i think all Christians should do this.
thanks for sharing.
i'm going to start, and hopefully i'll get good at it in another 70 years or so..
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »

Lord have mercy.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »

Trevor,

I am a big Fr. Hopko fan. I feel compelled to note that Fr. Hopko has said, iirc, that he would write that book differently today.

Here are a couple podcasts you might be interested in:

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/hopko_lectures/theological_vision_orthodox_christian_faith_and_human_sexuality1
http://ancientfaith.com/specials/hopko_lectures/spiritual_practice_orthodox_christian_faith_and_homosexual_attraction_
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:19:35 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »

it would be good if it isn't quite so hard, i agree.
coz i feel like Christians with same sex attractions should not need to work harder than others, and so i feel obliged to keep up.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »

coz i feel like Christians with same sex attractions should not need to work harder than others, and so i feel obliged to keep up.

Being a Christian with or without same-sex attraction is hard work.  One cannot measure how hard someone works and then compare it with someone else's work.  And sometimes it is a matter of what one should NOT do.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:20:53 AM »

Being a Christian with or without same-sex attraction is hard work.  One cannot measure how hard someone works and then compare it with someone else's work.  And sometimes it is a matter of what one should NOT do.

Nicely said. I like how this is simple and to the point.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »

I absolutely agree.  Sins are sins, and all Christians struggle.  Sin challenges me greatly.  I have to pray, fast, and be very close to God.    I still fall to sin often.

I don't think same sex attractions are any different.  I am against Christians who try to justify their sins as being "fine".

However in this case, I am so glad to hear that somebody who struggles with this sin is actually TRYING to do the right thing.  God Bless you and be with you in your struggle OP.   Pray for me as well because my sins are great.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 12:36:33 AM »

I absolutely agree.  Sins are sins, and all Christians struggle.  Sin challenges me greatly.  I have to pray, fast, and be very close to God.    I still fall to sin often.

I don't think same sex attractions are any different.  I am against Christians who try to justify their sins as being "fine".

However in this case, I am so glad to hear that somebody who struggles with this sin is actually TRYING to do the right thing.  God Bless you and be with you in your struggle OP.   Pray for me as well because my sins are great.

I shall.

I didn't post this with in mind that doing things like fasting, praying, reading, etc. would be somehow of greater importance to a Christian struggling with SSA.  I was struggling for the last few months, because I didn't know what to do.  I thought that I, who suffer with this particular spiritual ailment, had to do something different because of it, but I didn't know what.  I found this passage, and it's truly from God, for it tells me exactly what to do.  It tells me that I'm a Christian who struggles, and I have to strive for holiness like my brothers and sisters in Christ, despite my struggle.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 01:52:29 AM »

I hope you find and use the strength to accomplish those things in Christ. They are difficult for any Christian to do.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 04:22:20 AM »

I shall.

I didn't post this with in mind that doing things like fasting, praying, reading, etc. would be somehow of greater importance to a Christian struggling with SSA.  I was struggling for the last few months, because I didn't know what to do.  I thought that I, who suffer with this particular spiritual ailment, had to do something different because of it, but I didn't know what.  I found this passage, and it's truly from God, for it tells me exactly what to do.  It tells me that I'm a Christian who struggles, and I have to strive for holiness like my brothers and sisters in Christ, despite my struggle.
Right on.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: