OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:41:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What's your favorite?
French - 0 (0%)
German - 0 (0%)
Russian - 1 (12.5%)
American - 1 (12.5%)
British - 4 (50%)
Other - 2 (25%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Modern National Literature?  (Read 296 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: February 22, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »

By literature I don't necessarily mean only authors that would make a strict cut for literature textbooks, but really any type of fiction/drama writer. Any particular favorites? (especially lesser known writers that others may not know about)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »

I love mysteries. My favorites are from Northern Europe and the U.K. I love Asa Larsson, Jo Nesbo, Heron Carvic, Chris Ewan, and so on. I could name more, but I didn't get much sleep yesterday. Smiley Good subject, though.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »

I'm a fantasy fan. High fantasy, low fantasy, urban fantasy, you name it, and even better if it manages a dose of humour as well. My favourite author list is a mile long, but Marion Zimmer Bradley tops it easily, with Terry Pratchett, Jim Butcher, Yasmine Galenorn, Neil Gaiman and Guy Gavriel Kay as runners-up.

I read pretty much anything, including those 'stuffy' classics and a lot of children's and YA literature (I've been collecting World Book Day titles for years), but favourites are favourites. Interestingly, most of the children's authors I enjoy are British, while adult ones come from across the pond, including a strong Canadian contingent.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:12:11 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »

Apparently not too good of a subject, considering the lack of response!  Cheesy  Thank you two for the posts though...
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »

Anyone ever read good Dutch literature? Me neither.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »

One of my favorite modern writers is Padraic Colum. He was perhaps one of the less famous writers of the Irish Renaissance. He was a folklorist and storyteller who retold a lot of myths and fairy tales for younger readers. His retellings of Greek mythology still seem to show up in bookstores. My favorite book of his is The King of Ireland's Son, which is a children's novel made up of interwoven Irish fairy tales.

Another of the Irish writers I love is Lord Dunsany.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:34:42 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »

I also really dig the circle of writers around Weird Tales... Lovecraft, Howard, Smith, etc. Clark Ashton Smith is probably my favorite of the bunch, with his very ornately styled fantasy stories.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 04:21:06 PM »

How do you define "modern"? My favorite fictional writing would be American, because I love Edgar Allen Poe's dark literature and horror. I don't know if Poe counts as modern though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:21:21 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »

How do you define "modern"? My favorite fictional writing would be American, because I love Edgar Allen Poe's dark literature and horror. I don't know if Poe counts as modern though.

Yes, Poe is modern. Poe looms huge in modern fantasy and horror literature. The Weird Tales crowd of the 1920's and 30's were very much Poe devotees. A funny thing is that his poetry doesn't seem to be taken so seriously in mainstream English criticism but in translation it is enormously important. Baudelaire's translation of Poe's poetry into French pretty much launched an entire literary movement (the Symbolists) who in turn heavily influenced the surrealists.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »

Would like to get your thoughts on two lengthy series, and whether they're worth the time/trouble...

Anthony Powell - A Dance to the Music of Time
John Roderigo Dos Passos - U.S.A.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »

I'm sorry for anti-climax but Finnish. I'm not really that Patriotic or anything but for some reason I seem to like every Finnish classic I read.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:49:38 AM by Alpo » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »

Would like to get your thoughts on two lengthy series, and whether they're worth the time/trouble...

Anthony Powell - A Dance to the Music of Time
John Roderigo Dos Passos - U.S.A.

Dos Passos is considered one of the top writers of his generation, so sampling him is close to mandatory. I'm not familiar with Powell's work, though.

I'm sorry for anti-climax but Finnish. I'm not really that Patriotic or anything but for some reason I seem to like every Finnish classic I read.

Nothing anticlimactic here. I love my Greek literature as well, and every time I go back home I make sure to pick as many new books as I can carry. Wink It's just not the kind that I expect to see translated any time soon.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:55:33 AM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: