OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wake Up To The Myth of a Judeo-Christian Tradition  (Read 4613 times) Average Rating: 0
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »

Are you familiar with a wonderful new concept called "humor"?
Make it rhyme next time, yo.

Oh I heard a rumor
that a baby boomer
had no sense of humor
but that couldn't be true-mer ...

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
john_mo
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:38 AM »

I remember hearing a Jew saying that Jews never use the term "Judeo-Christian".  I have heard Christians use it, though.

Still, we do derive much of our validity from Jewish tradition.  I think that the problem comes in when we consider the Jews of today to be the same thing of the Jews from back in the day.

EDIT: Forgive me, I didn't realize that there was more than one page of responses.  I only read the first page.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:54:06 AM by john_mo » Logged

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2013, 06:12:39 AM »

I searched the web and found this:

Great turmoil was created when [Patriarch] Dimitrios announced that by extreme economy and unconditionally, in case of the dying, Holy Communion could be received from a Roman Catholic priest (see Macedonia, No. 7/8, 1987).
http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/quovadis.aspx

However, I was actually referring to the 1975 Thyateira Confession.

It states:
“When they are not near a Roman Catholic Church, Roman Catholics are permitted to receive the Holy Communion in Orthodox Churches; and the same is also extended to Orthodox when they are not near an Orthodox Church.”

This is quoted in the commentary about it, from which another quote is below:
The Thyateira Confession , by Archbishop Athenagoras (Kokkinakis) of Thyateira and Great Britain, was printed “With the Blessing and Authorization of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople” in 1975.
http://www.trueorthodoxy.org/heretics_world_orthodoxy_demetrios.shtml

So you were lying about Patriarch Bartholomew? Right.

And I'd like to see some more reliable sources than true-hyperdox-old-calendar websites.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »

I referred to something that I researched three years ago and posted on then. Three years later I tell you Pat. Bartholomew favored communion when there is no such church nearby, and you say I am lying when it turns out it was Pat. Athenagoras?

The Thyateira Confession says Orthodox can commune in Catholic churches if there is no Orthodox church near them and vice verse. However, this is not the same as Open Communion.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:26:55 AM by rakovsky » Logged
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »

Shocked  

Should people who claim to be Christians automatically put the worst possible interpretation (that of committing a serious breach of one of the Commandments) on the actions of their fellow Christians?

I ask only for information.   police  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:06:05 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »

Three years later I tell you Pat. Bartholomew favored communion when there is no such church nearby, and you say I am lying when it turns out it was Pat. Athenagoras?

Indeed. And spread false accusations.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »

Three years later I tell you Pat. Bartholomew favored communion when there is no such church nearby, and you say I am lying when it turns out it was Pat. Athenagoras?
Indeed. And spreading false accusations.
So three years ago I read this on the "True Orthodoxy" website, posted about it on OC.net, and now three years later I remember it online, but get the name of the specific Patriarch wrong...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:51:45 PM by rakovsky » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »

So three years ago I read this on the "True Orthodoxy" website, posted about it on OC.net, and now three years later I remember it online, but get the name of the specific Patriarch wrong...

Sssssssssssssssssinerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:08:02 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »

Accidents are not allowed in Poland.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2013, 04:30:11 PM »

Accidents are not allowed in Poland.

And mistakes are anathema there.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: