OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 02:16:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did Christ mean when he said "Call no man Rabbi, Father, or Master"?  (Read 490 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: June 05, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »

I know some of us have argued this point several times.  I've heard the Eastern Orthodox apologetics (and have known them).  Not interested in the argument.  I'm interested in learning the EO take.

The scripture in question is: Matthew 23:
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

I'm curious what the Eastern Orthodox think of the following:

1) Why did Christ say this?
2) What did he mean by it exactly?
3) How can the Eastern Orthodox apply this command to their lives?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 05:58:32 PM »

If you already know the answer, why ask the question?   Huh
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »

Huh?  I'm confused.  You are not interested in the EO apologetics of the passages, but instead want the EO take?  What is the difference?  Huh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Shyness

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »

One of the interpretations I've heard is that Christ was telling that to His Apostles so that they won't depart from him and seek other teachers and teaching that is outside of Him.
Servos

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Belgrade

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »

http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko/call_no_man_father
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »

Huh?  I'm confused.  You are not interested in the EO apologetics of the passages, but instead want the EO take?  What is the difference?  Huh

He is asking "what is the constructive theological or spiritual meaning of this teaching by Jesus" not "how do you justify calling priests 'father'?".

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »

He is asking "what is the constructive theological or spiritual meaning of this teaching by Jesus" not "how do you justify calling priests 'father'?".

Ah, that makes sense to me now.  Thanks.

Carry on.  Smiley

john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »

I know some of us have argued this point several times.  I've heard the Eastern Orthodox apologetics (and have known them).  Not interested in the argument.  I'm interested in learning the EO take.

The scripture in question is: Matthew 23:
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

I'm curious what the Eastern Orthodox think of the following:

1) Why did Christ say this?
2) What did he mean by it exactly?
3) How can the Eastern Orthodox apply this command to their lives?

I took this literally for a number of years before I became Orthodox.  I stopped calling my biological father "dad" or any such name. 

What is interesting is that it doesn't say "call no man 'Father'" but "call no man your father".  By this standard it is wrong to even refer to someone as your father, not so much as a title, but as a designation of their relationship to you (if one were to take it very literally of course).

Basically, those who use it against the RC and EO practice of calling our priests "Father" have not read it clearly.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »

Yes.

Apologetics are explanations against arguments.   

I would like to know from an Eastern Orthodox standing, why Christ said this, what was his teaching on this, and how an Eastern Orthodox Christian can apply these commands into their lives.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:07:44 PM »

Yes.

Apologetics are explanations against arguments.   

I would like to know from an Eastern Orthodox standing, why Christ said this, what was his teaching on this, and how an Eastern Orthodox Christian can apply these commands into their lives.

I don't know if there is an "official" Orthodox position, but the way I understand that passage is that Christ is cautioning against those who would put forth their own doctrine like Shammai and Hillel of his day, and Origen, Arian and Nestorius, etc of the future.  He does not want His followers following a man's teaching and that man would be the father or teacher of that doctrine.  Instead, he calls His followers to be faithful to His teachings.  My understanding of the Pharisees was they enjoyed coming up with hypothetical and speculative doctrines and then teaching them to others so that they looked more spiritual than those around them.  The context the passage has Christ contrasting the "call no man father" with his examples of the pride and hypocrisy of the Pharisees.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »

IMO: humility, example, hyberpole.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:30 PM »

Messianic prophecies fulfilled:

Quote from: Jeremiah 31
“Behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the LORD. “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Quote from: Isaiah 54:13
All your children will be taught by the LORD, and great will be their peace.

Quote from: Habakkuk 2:14
For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.

Quote from: John 14:9
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:41:16 PM by Romaios » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »

Messianic prophecies fulfilled:

Quote from: Jeremiah 31
“Behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the LORD. “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Quote from: Isaiah 54:13
All your children will be taught by the LORD, and great will be their peace.

Quote from: Habakkuk 2:14
For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.

Quote from: John 14:9
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Is this the official EO position that it was just messianic prophecies fulfilled?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »

Women Priestesses.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Romaios
Archon