OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 07:26:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I ♥ Books  (Read 1094 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: February 20, 2013, 04:48:40 AM »

Let's talk about books... specifically, what is their future? Will they become obsolete and a novelty/niche thing with the growth of e-readers? If so, how long will it take before we really see their end as a common thing? What will the process look like? Will it be something of a generational thing, with future children growing up (in school) on e-readers and never really using books? If paper books do get replaced by electronic versions, what will that do to our culture? What will it do to publishing, casual reading, literature, etc.? Will public/university libraries, which can be expensive to run/maintain, become small little things with most of their "books" being available for online download rather than physical borrowing?

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:59:08 AM »

I think books will always be with us. I hope so.  Smiley

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Raff

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:02:05 AM »

I hope this eBook thing is a novelty, but I doubt it. Think of the potential of schoolbooks for kids. It could possibly halve the book fees for parents and reduce the weight of a schoolbag by 90%. That said, there is nothing better than buying a leatherbound, gold trimmed, 600 page classic. Plus people in cafes wouldn't be able to tell that you are reading Ulysses, so why else read it? Just joking.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:34:16 AM »

I hope this eBook thing is a novelty, but I doubt it. Think of the potential of schoolbooks for kids. It could possibly halve the book fees for parents and reduce the weight of a schoolbag by 90%. That said, there is nothing better than buying a leatherbound, gold trimmed, 600 page classic. Plus people in cafes wouldn't be able to tell that you are reading Ulysses, so why else read it? Just joking.

Don't underestimate this dynamic. I personally confess to ostentatious public reading.  Wink

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:50:25 AM »

I love my Kindle, and it has greatly enhanced my reading, but I don't think physical books will be disappearing in our lifetime. They may become more expensive, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (certainly not if it stops some tripe from being published).

Over the years of recession, the practice of book-swapping has grown so much that I can't see it dying down easily, even if the economy evens out. There's something wonderful about a used book, a feeling of connection to other people who read and enjoyed it before yourself. I see reading as an essentially social activity.

Ebooks might be just the thing for university students, to cut down on textbook prices and bulk, both of which are simply outrageous. For schoolkids... not so much. The lifespan of an e-reader in the hands of a 6-year-old would be as many days. Roll Eyes

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:11:25 AM »

There's something wonderful about a used book, a feeling of connection to other people who read and enjoyed it before yourself. I see reading as an essentially social activity.

That's nice way to put it. I hope one day a have a whole room filled with used books. Somehow they look more nice than new books and it's more ecological too to buy second-hand stuff instead of new ones. My latest purchase was second-hand Finnish Quran from the 40's.

I believe books will be like vinyls are today. A vintage luxury.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »

That's nice way to put it. I hope one day a have a whole room filled with used books.

This is also a dream of mine. I just worry that, by the time I am in a position to actually build such a library, it won't be possible any longer.

Interesting thought...

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:07 AM »

That's nice way to put it. I hope one day a have a whole room filled with used books. Somehow they look more nice than new books and it's more ecological too to buy second-hand stuff instead of new ones. My latest purchase was second-hand Finnish Quran from the 40's.

If I put all of my secondhands together, they'd probably take up more than a room. Between BookMooch, charity shops and Amazon bargains, there's a lot there. But you know what they say... if ever your shelves can hold all your books, it's time to buy more books! Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:38:58 AM »

This is also a dream of mine. I just worry that, by the time I am in a position to actually build such a library, it won't be possible any longer.
Don't worry.  Captain Picard still reads books. Smiley
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »

It won't really do anything to book prices. E-books are not really any cheaper. They're ripping people off with real books (those $200 books cost about $10 to make), they're not stopping just because it costs nearly nothing to copy the book.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »

People will always buy the books that are important to them in real rather than ebook form. I wouldn't want to be without the Bible or other books just because civilization ended and I couldn't charge my nook.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:05:28 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »

Let's talk about books... specifically, what is their future? Will they become obsolete and a novelty/niche thing with the growth of e-readers? If so, how long will it take before we really see their end as a common thing? What will the process look like? Will it be something of a generational thing, with future children growing up (in school) on e-readers and never really using books? If paper books do get replaced by electronic versions, what will that do to our culture? What will it do to publishing, casual reading, literature, etc.? Will public/university libraries, which can be expensive to run/maintain, become small little things with most of their "books" being available for online download rather than physical borrowing?
The thing I like about print books over elctronic books is that print books are easier to mark and write in.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »

Lately most books I've read were read from my computer screen. But that's because I'm glued to my screen.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »

print books are easier to mark and write in.

You might want to talk with your father confessor about that. It's terrible to read books with markings on them.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »

I actually read a pretty interesting blog post about this, arguing that, from a Christian perspective,  the advent of e-books is a good thing, since they remove the sort of pride that comes from reading difficult books in public or owning a large collection. I wish I could find it.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 02:48:51 PM »

I love physical books but since I got a Kindle for my birthday the tremendous advantages of the format have become clear to me. Especially if you read a lot of old books (like any decent literate person should)- so many of them can gotten cheap or free and none of the massive shelf space and resultant complaints from the wife. I will however continue to retain and read physical copies of certain books, especially beloved classics.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 03:47:31 PM »

I just ordered 7 books from Amazon with some old gift cards I'd been saving.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:49:00 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Phanouria

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »

Any of you bibliophiles out there old enough to rememeber the smell of new books!

"It's said in publishing that no cat book ever loses money.  Maybe it's true; bibliophiles tend to be ailurophiles, and both are tenacious breeds."

Emily Toth, Woman's Review of Books 1 Jul 1995
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »

Any of you bibliophiles out there old enough to rememeber the smell of new books!

Of course. Despite the toxic fumes behind it. Wink

Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »

I made an earlier comment about Captain Picard.  I do not know if people in the future will still have books in paper format, but I know I shall always enjoy reading paper format.  I see computer screens enough at work that when I am home and have the opporturnity to read Scripture, the Fathers, history, or a novel, I aways do so in paper format.  I find it easier to keep my place and it is easier on my eyes.
Phanouria

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »

I am a librarian, so folks think that I own hundreds of books. Nooooo.  That's why libraries exist.  So you don't have to buy them all.  Collect your favorites and get a library card.  No complaining spouses, no expensive additions to your house for bookshelves and no e-readers to make books extinct. 

"It's said in publishing that no cat book ever loses money.  Maybe it's true; bibliophiles tend to be ailurophiles, and both are tenacious breeds."

Emily Toth, Woman's Review of Books 1 Jul 1995
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »

You do realize that they still print them, right?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »

I am a librarian, so folks think that I own hundreds of books. Nooooo.  That's why libraries exist.  So you don't have to buy them all.  Collect your favorites and get a library card.  No complaining spouses, no expensive additions to your house for bookshelves and no e-readers to make books extinct. 

Nice to meet a fellow librarian on here!

I think the same way.  I have two decent library systems close to my house and take full advantage.  When we met, I had probably three times as many books as my wife did.  Now it's the other way around as I've jettisoned much of my collection of the past decade.  No reason to buy a book you'll probably only read once and never look at again.  If it really is that good, then perhaps you can buy it, but libraries are great for "try before you buy!"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 03:00:08 AM »

lol great avatar

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »

Selam
I do as well.  I have never really like ebooks. 
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »

Selam

I love ebooks merely for their affordability and easy accessibility. But there is nothing like smelling the pages of a newly purchased book... mmmm. I think there will always be a market for physical books.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »

Selam

I love ebooks merely for their affordability and easy accessibility. But there is nothing like smelling the pages of a newly purchased book... mmmm. I think there will always be a market for physical books.

Same here. I loves me some books. Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 03:54:18 PM »

From Scroll to Book to Net: The Web of Knowledge (podcast), by Fr. John Behr

xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »

Every library I go to always has a poor lineup and I have to order books from the central library anyway.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »

I am a librarian, so folks think that I own hundreds of books. Nooooo.  That's why libraries exist.  So you don't have to buy them all.  Collect your favorites and get a library card.  No complaining spouses, no expensive additions to your house for bookshelves and no e-readers to make books extinct.  

Every library I go to always has a poor lineup and I have to order books from the central library anyway.
My local library has severely limited hours.  It only benefits kids during after school hours.  If I want that much noise, I'll go to the mall's bookstore
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:46:00 PM by hecma925 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »

The local county library system here cut back hours a while back when they were having budget problems, but I find their decision confusing. The local branch here where I live, for example (which is the largest of the 27 public libraries in the county*) is closed on Friday and Sunday, and open on Saturday from 10am-1pm in the summer and 10am-5pm in the winter. I believe the other libraries have similar hours. I would think the weekend is when they'd get their heaviest traffic, so 3-6 hours for the entire weekend seems odd.

*though there is a slightly larger library here in town, at St. Vincent College

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 05:49:53 PM »

Ours is in the county system and during the week it is open noon to 5.  I never go on weekends, but I think the hours are similar.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »

The village library is open Monday and Friday mornings and Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. It's also only slightly bigger than my living room. No wonder it doesn't get much traffic. Yay for the donation bookshelves in local shops.

There are at least three branches in town (all libraries in Essex are under one umbrella system); I've only used the central one, which is open Mon-Sat 9-5 and usually packed. It also allows up to 14 loans at any given time, for 3 weeks at a time, and 7 renewals of that time. That's how business is done.

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »

I just read a book called "The Optimist's guide to the future", and one of the last things he talked briefly about was the future of publishing.

He said that with the age of the Internet, publishers will no longer be forced to print a certain amount, which is always difficult to estimate accurately, so you end up with unsold books if it flops, or not enough and lose sales if it becomes a bestseller.

He believes that you will be able in the future to choose if you want a download or a print copy, and if so they will print it for extra cost, as it costs more to print than to send the data to you.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 06:38:30 PM »

He believes that you will be able in the future to choose if you want a download or a print copy, and if so they will print it for extra cost, as it costs more to print than to send the data to you.

POD (print on demand) has already become a lot more reputable than it was a few short years ago.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: