OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:13:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can The Lord Almighty Change The Nature Of A People?  (Read 464 times) Average Rating: 0
Studying_Orthodoxy

« on: February 19, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

In the book of Jeremiah 13:23 it is written: "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil."

This verse suggests that if a person or people have an evil nature that they cannot change. Just as an Ethiopian cannot change his skin and the leopard cannot change his spots the one who does evil cannot do good.

Such a verse concerns me as I am from a people and nation which have fallen into many sinful acts, to some extent much greater than in other countries. While most here would say that acceptance of Christ would be the solution in this case, what worries me most is the thought that certain negative traits may be inherent in a people and unchangeable, therefore something of great shame to me. In my country there is binge drinking, sexual immorality and other vices. These exist in other countries but in mine they are on a grand scale. Always I had told myself that I am not like those people and that such things are not in my nature. Yet now I read this verse which I fear suggests such traits are inherent in my people. What I want for my children would be that they can be free of these thing and be able to live with honour and dignity.

Is there really no way for the nature of a people to be changed? What if I pray that the Lord Almighty would change the nature of my people to one that while still inclined to sin, as are all men, avoids the excesses to which they fall into it? An Ethiopian cannot change his skin and a leopard cannot change its spots. However the Lord Almighty is able to. Therefore my hope is that if I pray to the Lord Almighty for my nature not to be wicked to extreme extents that I would while still a sinner not be naturally inclined to absolute excessive debauchery. I pray that this may be so.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:57:59 PM by Studying_Orthodoxy » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:31 PM »

Repentance is possible to even the worst of sinners. Difficult, but not impossible, with God's help. St Mary of Egypt is a prime example, and she is by no means the only one.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:03:02 PM by LBK » Logged
WPM
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »

Re: Can The Lord Almighty Change The Nature Of A People?

Yes.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:08:38 PM by WPM » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »

In the book of Jeremiah 13:23 it is written: "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil."

This verse suggests that if a person or people have an evil nature that they cannot change. Just as an Ethiopian cannot change his skin and the leopard cannot change his spots the one who does evil cannot do good.
The 'evil-natured' people in question are the Israelites.

God saved and redeemed Israel.

Therefore, the Scriptures testify to the possibility of change.

Read the rest of Jeremiah.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:56:49 AM »

I thought they screwed up and failed, so God saved the Gentiles instead?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:15:45 AM »

Well, no. The first proselytes were Jews.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:16:05 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Studying_Orthodoxy

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 06:41:14 AM »

This is encouraging to hear. Thank you, friends. At least there is hope that the condition of my nation can improve. For those of you who think this is not an important issue, remember this, if you are inclined to evil then it is harder for you to be a good person.

Who does not want to have positive attributes?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:41:39 AM by Studying_Orthodoxy » Logged
Pericles

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:24:19 AM »

Well no the first converts were Christians doh!

Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »

"The disciples were first called Christians at Antioch." (Acts 11:26)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 09:15:31 AM »

Don't play semantic tricks, the first Christians did come from among the Jews.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 02:45:46 PM »

No, James.

The Israel of God in the Messiah is the Church, which is from the Jews and now includes Gentiles. Unfaithful branches (those Jews who rejected Christ) were cut off; just the unfaithful ones.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »

They are not opposites.

erimos

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »

Leopards remain as they are, and Etheopians cannot change the colour of their skins, unless they take lessons from pop stars. However, Christians are reborn sinners... Changed... And become Christ-like. No longer they live, but Christ lives in them. Each strives to ascend towards heaven with contrition, repentance, confession, and the grace of God. There is hope with every breath we take.
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »

Unfaithful branches (those Jews who rejected Christ) were cut off; just the unfaithful ones.

Yes, but aren't these people (those jews who rejected Christ) still around and the reason why the world is the way it is? They are continuing to reject Christ & Christians alike. If they don't see the tremendous fault in their ways, how can/will they be saved? Despite as religious and faithful as the claim to act/be?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »

Unfaithful branches (those Jews who rejected Christ) were cut off; just the unfaithful ones.

Yes, but aren't these people (those jews who rejected Christ) still around and the reason why the world is the way it is? They are continuing to reject Christ & Christians alike. If they don't see the tremendous fault in their ways, how can/will they be saved? Despite as religious and faithful as the claim to act/be?

You know, there once was a man from a small town in the Middle East.  He said "Judge not lest ye be judged."

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: