OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 11:54:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God teaching Adam - 'Animal Sacrifice' in Eden ?  (Read 2578 times) Average Rating: 0
dhinuus
Elder

« on: March 02, 2013, 12:17:14 AM »

In Genesis 3:31 we read "And the Lord God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins, and clothed them."  This implies the (sacrificial ?) killing of an animal for making the garments of skin.

I recently read the following:
"This is the first sacrifice in the long trajectory of bloody sacrifices that reaches all the way down to the coming of Jesus.....In Genesis 3:21 the death of an animal to cover the man and the woman is a picture of what is to come, the first step of an entire institution of sacrifices that points us finally to the supreme sacrifice and what Jesus did to take away our sin and cover up our shame.”
page 39 in "The God Who Is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story" by D.A Carson

I checked "Commentary on Genesis" by St. Ephrem the Syrian. On page 121 it says:
Why would beasts have been killed in their presence? Perhaps, it was so that by the animal's flesh Adam and Even might nourish their own persons, and that with the skins they might cover their nakedness, and also so that by the death of the animal Adam and Even might see the death of their own bodies.
There is no mention about this killing of the animal being a sacrifice or a foreshadow of the sacrifice of Christ.

Are there any quotes from the fathers about this? Does any of the fathers teach us that the killing of an animal for its skin to cover the nakedness of Adam was a foreshadow of the 'sacrifice' of Christ ?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:49:59 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 02:04:23 AM »

In Genesis 3:31 we read "And the Lord God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins, and clothed them."  This implies the (sacrificial ?) killing of an animal for making the garments of skin.

I recently read the following:
"This is the first sacrifice in the long trajectory of bloody sacrifices that reaches all the way down to the coming of Jesus.....In Genesis 3:21 the death of an animal to cover the man and the woman is a picture of what is to come, the first step of an entire institution of sacrifices that points us finally to the supreme sacrifice and what Jesus did to take away our sin and cover up our shame.”
page 39 in "The God Who Is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story" by D.A Carson

I checked "Commentary on Genesis" by St. Ephrem the Syrian. On page 121 it says:
Why would beasts have been killed in their presence? Perhaps, it was so that by the animal's flesh Adam and Even might nourish their own persons, and that with the skins they might cover their nakedness, and also so that by the death of the animal Adam and Even might see the death of their own bodies.
There is no mention about this killing of the animal being a sacrifice or a foreshadow of the sacrifice of Christ.

Are there any quotes from the fathers about this? Does any of the fathers teach us that the killing of an animal for its skin to cover the nakedness of Adam was a foreshadow of the 'sacrifice' of Christ ?
St. Ephrem the Syrian is a Father.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:11:01 AM »

St. Ephrem the Syrian is a Father.
I know that St. Ephrem the Syrian is a Father. I am sorry for not being very specific in my original post. I thought I was clear. Please forgive if I was not; English is not my first language. So I will clarify my question:

Are there any quotes from the any other fathers about this? And more specifically does any of the fathers teach us that the   killing of an animal for its skin to cover the nakedness of Adam was a foreshadow of the 'sacrifice' of Christ ?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:12:53 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »

I have heard that it does not refer to animal skin, but to man having lost his divine clothes, his radiance from God, and being ashamed of that; so God gave them the skin that we now have. This world is considered to have shifted towards strictly physical forms from a world that was infused with The Holy Spirit. Christ came to restore us and to also bring us The Kingdom of Heaven, which is even higher than what we have lost initially. Sorry, can't offer quotes.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:58:18 AM by IoanC » Logged

dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:14:22 AM »

Do any of the fathers teach us that the killing of an animal for its skin to cover the nakedness of Adam was a foreshadow of the 'sacrifice' of Christ ?

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: