OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:20:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I a Slav?  (Read 2283 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 19, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »

I'm filling out a lengthy scholarship application for my university.  Under "ethnic origin," they have the usual answers such as "white, black, hispanic, etc."  One answer they have that surprised me, though, is "Slavic." 

My heritage is Polish, Slovak, German, and British.  My mother's father, and my father's mother were the children of Slavic immigrants. 

I'm rather confounded.  I mean, I was brought up with a strong Polish American identity by my grandmother, but my name is entirely of English origin.  My heritage is only 1/2 Eastern European, and I've heard some debate over weather Poles and Slovaks are, indeed, Slavs.

I'm thinking of just selecting "white" and being done with it, but still I wonder.

Am I a Sav? 

(Being an American, I find this suggestion a bit silly, as most Americans of Slavic descent would feel like foreigners in Eastern Europe, anyway...)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:58:22 PM by Tikhon.of.Colorado » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »

Am I a Sav? 

Being an American . . .

You answered your own question.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »

If it is just a matter of checkboxes, perhaps ticking 'White - Other' would be the least hassle.

I agree with you that such classifications are becoming increasingly irrelevant as we get less and less 'thoroughbred', so to speak. The medical environment, where such background can still be important for genetic predisposition reasons, had better think of a more efficient system soon.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:03:08 PM »

Am I a Sav? 

Being an American . . .

You answered your own question.
One would think so, but so many Americans whose great, great, great grandparents came here act like they're fresh off the boat from Greece, Russia, Serbia, etc.  I'd think I'm just as Slavic as them! Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »

If it is just a matter of checkboxes, perhaps ticking 'White - Other' would be the least hassle.

I agree with you that such classifications are becoming increasingly irrelevant as we get less and less 'thoroughbred', so to speak. The medical environment, where such background can still be important for genetic predisposition reasons, had better think of a more efficient system soon.
I agree.  My poor mother has a hard time remembering who she's a descendant of.  She has to choose "Slovak," and if that's not there, she has to choose "Austro-Hungarian."  She must put "Alsacian," and if that's not a choice, she must choose "German" or "French."  She must also remember to choose "Ashkenazi Jewish." 

She calls me every time she has to fill out one of these forms!  laugh

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »

If you're serious about the application, don't get "cute".  Is "Caucasian" a choice?  If so, just put that.  Otherwise, just put "white" and be done with it.  There will be plenty of other, far more serious things to agonize about if and when you get accepted.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 04:08:34 PM »

If you're serious about the application, don't get "cute".  Is "Caucasian" a choice?  If so, just put that.  Otherwise, just put "white" and be done with it.  There will be plenty of other, far more serious things to agonize about if and when you get accepted.

Good idea, that's just what I'll do.

I'm reminded of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTIon_U9jik
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:11:12 PM by Tikhon.of.Colorado » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »

I had to sign up for a "health coach" in order to cut a few bucks off my health insurance.  So, when they phoned me and drilled me...one of the last questions was my race and ethnic origin.

Surprising even myself, I gave them a hard time.  I mean, what difference does it make to you where my ancestors are from?  I'm paying you for my health insurance, and my money is just as green, no matter where my grandparents were born.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »

I had to sign up for a "health coach" in order to cut a few bucks off my health insurance.  So, when they phoned me and drilled me...one of the last questions was my race and ethnic origin.

Surprising even myself, I gave them a hard time.  I mean, what difference does it make to you where my ancestors are from?  I'm paying you for my health insurance, and my money is just as green, no matter where my grandparents were born.

Totally.  It's not like I'll stick out from the rest of the white students, what with my long mustache, sharovary pants, and constant urge to dance the hopak!

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »

Cause certain diseases, disorders, syndromes etc. correlate with either genetics or from environment.

It is a now relatively imprecise yet pretty cheap genetic screening.

Check out the many problems "native peoples" have when they find themselves within the average American way of living for examples.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »

Cause certain diseases, disorders, syndromes etc. correlate with either genetics or from environment.

Check out the many problems "native peoples" have when they find themselves within the average American way of living for examples.

You beat me to it. Insurance is pretty much a straight up probabilities game. The companies are basically banking on the fact that most people don't need aid until after they've paid in a certain amount. So anything which can affect the probabilities of their policyholders needing to cash in is considered in the process. That includes ethnicities.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »

This is all quite true.  (But, as my son once told me when he was 9 or 10 in response to a question I asked him: "It's none of your damned Yankee business!"  All said in his perfect East Midlands [England] accent.  In spite of the "damn", I couldn't stop laughing for 20 minutes!!)

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »

This is all quite true.  (But, as my son once told me when he was 9 or 10 in response to a question I asked him: "It's none of your damned Yankee business!"  All said in his perfect East Midlands [England] accent.  In spite of the "damn", I couldn't stop laughing for 20 minutes!!)

Well don't show up for tennis lessons and shout at your instructor when they ask if you are right or left handed.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 04:37:45 PM »

You know you're always free to take your business elsewhere...
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »

Well don't show up for tennis lessons and shout at your instructor when they ask if you are right or left handed.

My tennis days a looooonnnnng gone, I'm afraid.  So, don't worry, I won't  Grin.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »

You know you're always free to take your business elsewhere...

Huh

Some folks just don't seem to have much of a sense of humor. Sad  (Or maybe they just don't understand mine  Grin.)

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

I've been to two different doctors recently and was asked to select both Race and Ethnicity.  Race was Caucasian, Ethnicity was Slavic. I filled in the exact Slavic nationalities thinking it was to be used for some genetic information, as pointed out.  But, then I saw the sign in the waiting room that this info was being used by the Government for some new Electronic Health Record.  How it is being used, I don't know, but perhaps they want to make sure some groups aren't under represented.  Now I imagine the person collecting the info for the government thinking "Croatian/CarpathoRussian/...., where the heck?Huh"

You beat me to it. Insurance is pretty much a straight up probabilities game. The companies are basically banking on the fact that most people don't need aid until after they've paid in a certain amount. So anything which can affect the probabilities of their policyholders needing to cash in is considered in the process. That includes ethnicities.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »

Serbs are Slavs, at least from what I have been told.  I was also told by an old Serbian priest that you cannot be a Serb if you are not Orthodox, and if you are Orthodox, you are a Serb.  So, I guess that according to him, I am a Slav.  His statement was an answer to my question about how his Serbian parish would view a German in their midst.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »

I'm half Chinese but I have an Irish name. I still tick off "Asian" on all those forms because A) maybe affirmative action will kick in for me and B) most people think I'm Asian when they look at me.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »

I have always thought Slavs as White. They aren't by American standards? How "White" is defined?

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »

I have always thought Slavs as White. They aren't by American standards? How "White" is defined?

In my experience, it's commonly defined by the person using it.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »

I'm half Chinese but I have an Irish name. I still tick off "Asian" on all those forms because A) maybe affirmative action will kick in for me and B) most people think I'm Asian when they look at me.

You look Guatemalan to me.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:51 AM »

If you want the Slavs, and they want you, why not?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 12:31:01 AM »

The native peoples of Europe. That's how I define it. Some people include Semites, for reasons I'll never understand.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 02:04:32 AM »

The native peoples of Europe. That's how I define it. Some people include Semites, for reasons I'll never understand.

This is what, in the US, most job applications "optional" diversity survey says:
White: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East,or North Africa

The one I am filling out today includes south Asians and East Asians under Asian, and has another section for Pacific Islander.  Pakistani is usually Asian though I've seen it listed as White on a city job application a few years ago.

We are sufficiently representing people to on occasion ask something like:
Which Asian: Asian Indian, Cambodian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Vietnamese, Other Asian?
And Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: Guamanian, Hawaiian, Samoan, Other Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander?

Iranians, Iraqis, Saudis, Moroccans, Libyans, French, Germans, Poles, Bulgarians, Estonians, Finns, and Irish are just as white as the next under most US law. There are a couple court cases in which Arabs or Lebanese in particular were declared white.  This occurred back when white was a privilege for immigration and probably legal protection and rights as a citizen.  Asian Indians were almost considered white in one court case but this did not stick. Asian Indians are considered Caucasians (as an Aryan people) and South Asians. Mexicans were declared white by law some >100 years ago, and this was reportedly to improve the lives of Mexicans/Mexican Americans in the US as part of a trade contract negotiation. Many Mexicans may be white by virtue of higher European blood, though many Latin Americans (including Mexicans) are of sufficiently mixed race/Black/Native American blood to not be white.  Armenians are white by virtue of ability to culturally blend in with whites (education and religion help) and I believe blend with white/Euro people by virtue of genotypes/phenotypes.  This is similar to why Lebanese are white. There was also a movement among Armenians, Persians, and Arabs to not be white but other-write in ethnicity on the US census the other year so as to increase government awareness of the presence of these ethnic groups apart from dominant white America. I hope that such efforts make some inroads to recognizing the diversity of white cultural groups and their experiences in America and better address the needs of these communities.

To the OP: On medical forms, you may be a Slav. Outside of this, I would ask does it or did it much impact your life?  Have  you experienced a Slavic culture? How do you relate to it?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:06:28 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:37 AM »

Once a Slav always a Slav. Sorry mate.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »

But...are all Slavs all Slav?  Does one have to be all Slav to be a Slav?  How much Slav does it take to be a Slav?  Cheesy

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »

Are these ethnic issues still important in America? I'm a little suprised that anyone would have guts to ask people of their ethic origin that way. If some company did that here it would cause huge outrage and accusations of Nazism.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:16:39 AM by Alpo » Logged

Adela
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »

Are these ethnic issues still important in America? I'm a little suprised that anyone would have guts to ask people of their ethic origin that way. If some company did that here it would cause huge outrage and accusations of Nazism.

I'm not aware that these issues are important to everyday Americans.  In my case, 2 different doctors had forms asking me to identify my race and ethnic origins, and it turned out the Government is collecting this information.  I have no idea how ethnicity relates to the Electronic Health Record.  This is new, before this we were always asked just to identify our race.   
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »

In my case, 2 different doctors had forms asking me to identify my race and ethnic origins, and it turned out the Government is collecting this information.

Finland is a promised land of statistics but if some goverment here tried to gather information about ethnic origin of people it would soon be out of office. Finnish state makes statistics about where people come from instead of ethnicity. Only people here who talk about human races are Neo-Nazis.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »

Sometimes ethnicity is gathered in applications to assist in the hiring process because some employers will intentionally hire minority ethnicities to meet quotas, for diversity, etc. I believe it's to help curb racism and job discrimination, and maybe that's why the government may also collect it.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »

But...are all Slavs all Slav?  Does one have to be all Slav to be a Slav?  How much Slav does it take to be a Slav?  Cheesy
Not much evidently: the Czar, hope of the Pan-Slavists, was only 1/8 by descent Slav.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »

This is what, in the US, most job applications "optional" diversity survey says:
White: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East,or North Africa

The one I am filling out today includes south Asians and East Asians under Asian, and has another section for Pacific Islander.  Pakistani is usually Asian though I've seen it listed as White on a city job application a few years ago.

Which Asian: Asian Indian, Cambodian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Vietnamese, Other Asian?
And Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: Guamanian, Hawaiian, Samoan, Other Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander?

Iranians, Iraqis, Saudis, Moroccans, Libyans, French, Germans, Poles, Bulgarians, Estonians, Finns, and Irish are just as white as the next under most US law. There are a couple court cases in which Arabs or Lebanese in particular were declared white.  This occurred back when white was a privilege for immigration and probably legal protection and rights as a citizen.  Asian Indians were almost considered white in one court case but this did not stick. Asian Indians are considered Caucasians (as an Aryan people) and South Asians. Mexicans were declared white by law some >100 years ago, and this was reportedly to improve the lives of Mexicans/Mexican Americans in the US as part of a trade contract negotiation. Many Mexicans may be white by virtue of higher European blood, though many Latin Americans (including Mexicans) are of sufficiently mixed race/Black/Native American blood to not be white.  Armenians are white by virtue of ability to culturally blend in with whites (education and religion help) and I believe blend with white/Euro people by virtue of genotypes/phenotypes.  This is similar to why Lebanese are white. There was also a movement among Armenians, Persians, and Arabs to not be white but other-write in ethnicity on the US census the other year so as to increase government awareness of the presence of these ethnic groups apart from dominant white America. I hope that such efforts make some inroads to recognizing the diversity of white cultural groups and their experiences in America and better address the needs of these communities.

To the OP: On medical forms, you may be a Slav. Outside of this, I would ask does it or did it much impact your life?  Have  you experienced a Slavic culture? How do you relate to it?
Btw, to put this in perspective, in the US someone from Spain isn't Hispanic.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

Tell that to the folks I know who claim to be Hispanic rather than Latino because they identify more with Spain than they do with the Amerindians.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »

Not much evidently: the Czar, hope of the Pan-Slavists, was only 1/8 by descent Slav.

I'm not exactly a Monarchist or a Tsarist but after reading about too many wars between various national groups having a ruler born of multicultural familyline does sound a quite symphatetic idea.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »

But...are all Slavs all Slav?  Does one have to be all Slav to be a Slav?  How much Slav does it take to be a Slav?  Cheesy

I'm not exactly a Monarchist or a Tsarist but after reading about too many wars between various national groups having a ruler born of multicultural familyline does sound a quite symphatetic idea.

No, it's not. I'm not Russian and do not want to be one.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:20:19 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »

No, it's not. I'm not Russian and do not want to be one.

That's exactly the point. People with differing cultural identities but with one multicultural ruler. Of course it wasn't like that in practice but the theoretical idea is quite nice. Imagine all the people etc.

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »

And someone from Latium is not Latin.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »

It depends.  Some people believe that the "inferior races", usually consisting of blacks, hispanics, and women are incapable of succeeding on their own merits and needs to be helped along by Uncle Sam until which point that they are sufficiently human to do so.

Others of us believe that everyone is equal and should rise or fall based on his/her own merits.  These people usually get shouted down because all some people need to do is claim to be inferior and they get free cash and prizes.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:47 AM »

And someone from Latium is not Latin.
That too.  Reminds me of a joke "God punished the Romans for killing His Son by making them Italians."

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »

Tell that to the folks I know who claim to be Hispanic rather than Latino because they identify more with Spain than they do with the Amerindians.
LOL. The Criollos still walk among us.  Now they have to worry more about the Gringos than the Peninsulares.

Napoletani

Faith: Romanian Orthodox

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 04:48:08 AM »

This thread is funny, we romanians had some Kings who were not ethnic romanians and were very good. The german kings as Carol I or Ferdinand, without whom we would not have had Greater Romania and Transylvanian romanians would be eating mamaliga in hungarian.

We had Vasile Lupu of albanian descent who favored romanian language in school and Church in Moldova.

The bulgarians had the Asen brother who made the 2nd bulgarian Empire, and were certainly of vlach-romanian descent(http://groznijat.tripod.com/bulgar/wolff.html)

Hungarian got Ioan de Hunedoara an ethnic romanian as one of their greatest heroes. And St nicholas II of Russia was of german, danish, and russian descent.

So the ethnic origin of the King does not really matter. Europeans are so closed on an ethnic level that what really matters then is the language, culture, and self identification of the King, his sense of duty, loyalty and skills.

Baba Novak was half serb, half romanian, was he slavic or not? It didn't matter to him, he fought in Mihail Viteazul(romanian) army, very bravely and gave hard times to the faithless ottomans and to the hungarians. There is a monument paying hommage to him in Cluj Napoca:

We had romanian traitors in the clergy such as Satanasie(uniate) and great romanian heroes in the clergy of foreign descent such as St Antim of Iberia or St Visarion Sarai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYA3iZNZJmA

So if the author of the post wants to be slavic, that is up to you Smiley

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:57:15 AM by Napoletani » Logged

Romania,striga tare sa te aud
Romania,noi suntem Leii din Sud
Si din mormant voi striga,Stiinta e echipa mea
De te nasti aici si cresti,ramai Anti'Bucuresti
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »

I have heard that the term "Slav" came from what the Romans referred to those people  brought in from outside the Empire as slaves.
 So Slav is really a derivitive  from the word slave.

Any truth in this?

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »

I have heard that the term "Slav" came from what the Romans referred to those people  brought in from outside the Empire as slaves.
 So Slav is really a derivitive  from the word slave.

Any truth in this?

Sort of, but it's backwards. Slave comes from Slav. And I'm pretty sure it was Scandinavians, not Romans.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »

I have heard that the term "Slav" came from what the Romans referred to those people  brought in from outside the Empire as slaves.
 So Slav is really a derivitive  from the word slave.

Any truth in this?

Slav Look up Slav at Dictionary.com
    late 14c., Sclave, from Medieval Latin Sclavus (c.800), from Byzantine Greek Sklabos (c.580), from Old Church Slavonic Sloveninu "a Slav," probably related to slovo "word, speech," which suggests the name originally meant member of a speech community (cf. Old Church Slavonic Nemici "Germans," related to nemu "dumb;" and cf. Old English þeode, which meant both "race" and "language").
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Slav

And

The Slavic autonym Slověninъ is usually considered a derivation from slovo "word," originally denoting "people who speak (the same language)," i.e. people who understand each other, in contrast to the Slavic word denoting "foreign people" – němci, meaning "mumbling, murmuring people" (from Slavic němъ – "mumbling, mute"). The latter word may be the derivation of words to denote German/Germanic people in many later Slavic languages: e.g., Czech Němec, Slovak Nemec, Slovene Nemec, Belarusian, Russian and Bulgarian Немец, Serbian Немац, Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian Nijemac, Polish Niemiec, Ukrainian Німець, etc.,[31] but another theory states that rather these words are derived from the name of the Nemetes tribe,[32][33] which is derived from the Celtic root nemeto-.[34][35]

The English word Slav is derived from the Middle English word sclave, which was borrowed from Medieval Latin sclavus "slave,"[36] itself a borrowing and Byzantine Greek σκλάβος sklábos "slave," which was in turn apparently derived from a misunderstanding of the Slavic autonym (denoting a speaker of their own languages). The Byzantine term Sklavinoi was loaned into Arabic as Saqaliba by medieval Arab historiographers.[citation needed] However, the origin of this word is disputed.[37][38]

Alternative proposals for the etymology of Slověninъ propounded by some scholars enjoy much less support. B.P. Lozinski argues that the word slava once had the meaning of worshipper, in this context meaning "practicer of a common Slavic religion," and from that evolved into an ethnonym.[39] S.B. Bernstein speculates that it derives from a reconstructed Proto-Indo-European *(s)lawos, cognate to Ancient Greek λαός laós "population, people," which itself has no commonly accepted etymology.[40] Meanwhile others have pointed out that the suffix -enin indicates a man from a certain place, which in this case should be a place called Slova or Slava, possibly a river name. The Old East Slavic Slavuta for the Dnieper River was argued by Henrich Bartek (1907–1986) to be derived from slova and also the origin of Slovene.[41]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:10:26 PM by J Michael » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: