OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 06:03:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Islamic Spirit Behind Western Civilization?
Yes - 1 (6.3%)
No - 14 (87.5%)
May Be - 0 (0%)
I Don't Know - 1 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Islamic Spirit Behind The West?  (Read 1091 times) Average Rating: 0
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« on: February 19, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »

The historical union and the current alliance or flirting between Islamic forces and Western nations has forced me to ask, if there is, indeed, a very mysterious spiritual connection between the two.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:57:56 AM by Balthasar » Logged
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »

I've never flirted with a Muslim. I did sit next to a Muslim guy in a science class in high school. He wasn't my boyfriend, though.

Not posting
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

Is *oil* (petroleum) and the demand for it "spiritual"?

Just what "historical union" are you referring to?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »

A self serving connection, as in they have oil, or have lots of dollars and we would like to sell something for those same dollars or we've got a brilliant investment, Sheikh.

Somewhere recently I came across a suggestion of a link between Russian Policy and Islam, but cannot what that might be or why.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »

This board is turning more and more absurd with every new thread.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »

You noticed that, too, eh?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »

+2

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »

"Just say NO".

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 12:05:21 AM »

If by 'historical union' you mean when they invaded the West's most intellectually and technologically advanced areas and then proceeded to claim they invented the things they found there...

No.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »

Also, western civilization existed for 4000-ish years before the "Islamic spirit" even realized they should use different hands for wiping their butt and eating. Considering that is still the rule and not "WASH YOUR FREAKING HANDS, WITH SOAP" its still lagging behind.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:08:37 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 12:09:42 AM »

Somewhere recently I came across a suggestion of a link between Russian Policy and Islam, but cannot what that might be or why.

Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Whoops, there goes that idea.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:39 AM »

Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Whoops, there goes that idea.

The idea probably comes from the fact that Russia is backing Bashar al-Assad in Syria.

Now, considering what Russia is backing Assad against, the claim that those darn Russkies are secretly Islamist is rather odd, but the details of Middle Eastern politics are largely lost on Americans.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »

Maybe ole Balthasar could check in with us on his thread and clarify a few things for us, eh?  For starters:"Is *oil* (petroleum) and the demand for it "spiritual"? Just what "historical union" are you referring to?"   Wink

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »

Wow, that makes it tough for us Orthodox to choose between Arabic numbers and Roman numerals!  Cheesy
Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »

By "Islamic Spirit", I am talking about the anti-Christ spirit of Islam. The West, mainstream West is anti-Christ in spirit. In historical context we can have many examples where this spirit unified the Islamic powers with the West to fight against the "authentic" Christian world. For instance, Emperor Justin,for me he was a Western Emperor who probably betrayed the Christian Emperor of Ethiopia, Ezana, to eventually enable the empowerment of Mohammad. Another example is Constantinople. You all know the story.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »

By "Islamic Spirit", I am talking about the anti-Christ spirit of Islam. The West, mainstream West is anti-Christ in spirit. In historical context we can have many examples where this spirit unified the Islamic powers with the West to fight against the "authentic" Christian world. For instance, Emperor Justin,for me he was a Western Emperor who probably betrayed the Christian Emperor of Ethiopia, Ezana, to eventually enable the empowerment of Mohammad. Another example is Constantinople. You all know the story.

What is "mainstream West"?

What about the East?  You know, Asia?  No "anti-Christ spirit" there?  What about, hmm....Africa?  No "anti-Christ spirit" there?  South America?  None there?

What about, as someone mentioned earlier, the fact that there was a "West" before there was Islam?

What point are you trying to establish or prove?  That there is an "anti-Christ spirit" loose in the world?  I think we know that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:58:49 PM by J Michael » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »

The Christian (to varying degrees) West is linked to the Moslems in the same way that Israel was to the Assyrians and Babylonians. 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »

+2

Getting ready for Great Lent?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

+2

Getting ready for Great Lent?

Already there  Wink.

biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »

The West, mainstream West is anti-Christ in spirit.

So, an entire hemisphere of the planet hates Jesus and is not part of "authentic Christianity."

Gee, thanks! What a nice day you must be having.

Please poke me in the eye with a stick.  Tongue

Not posting
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »

Also, western civilization existed for 4000-ish years before the "Islamic spirit" even realized they should use different hands for wiping their butt and eating. Considering that is still the rule and not "WASH YOUR FREAKING HANDS, WITH SOAP" its still lagging behind.
I was not aware of the underlined rule, and have broken it consistently. But I do wash afterwards.  Cheesy

By the way, I am not sure what you mean Jason. Do you mean that the Islamic spirit has not gotten up to the level of washing their hands and the spirit continues to follow what "is still the rule" (using different hands for eating and wiping)?

Anyway, the Middle East was apparently far more advanced in personal hygiene when the crusaders invaded. That may sound surprising to you, but the Catholic crusaders' slovenliness surprised the Middle Easterners too.

That brings to mind that you are probably inadvertently speaking against the original (Ethiopian?) poster on the forum, since you bring up images of eastern backwardness, rather than specifically "Islamic" religious issues.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:15:38 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »

Wow, that makes it tough for us Orthodox to choose between Arabic numbers and Roman numerals!  Cheesy
Podkarpatska,

I know. You are bringing up more examples of how the Islamic spirit has run throughout Western civilization. We are even using their numbers and naval navigational methods.

Anyway, I just am NOT ready to go back to using alphabet letters to count. Ano Domini 2013 gets really confusing that way!!!! (brain block)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:11:30 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »

The Christian (to varying degrees) West is linked to the Moslems in the same way that Israel was to the Assyrians and Babylonians.  
I think the opposite is more likely true. Alot of Muslim countries' governments are dependent on US support, just as, at times the ancient Israelites likely "deferred" to or may have even paid tribute to stronger powers nearby.

In the case of Middle Eastern countries (like Libya at the moment), the modern "tithe" could be the extraction of those countries' natural resources (oil) and transfer of them to the victorious countries.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:15:06 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »

I was not aware of the underlined rule, and have broken it consistently. But I do wash afterwards.  Cheesy

By the way, I am not sure what you mean Jason. Do you mean that the Islamic spirit has not gotten up to the level of washing their hands and the spirit continues to follow what "is still the rule" (using different hands for eating and wiping)?

Anyway, the Middle East was apparently far more advanced in personal hygiene when the crusaders invaded. That may sound surprising to you, but the Catholic crusaders' slovenliness surprised the Middle Easterners too.

That brings to mind that you are probably inadvertently speaking against the original (Ethiopian?) poster on the forum, since you bring up images of eastern backwardness, rather than specifically "Islamic" religious issues.

I was talking about how it is the rule in their religion about using different hands (the Qadaa' al-Haajah stuff), but they haven't just amended it to "wash your hands." And I'm technically/genetically more eastern than Ethiopia (or Greece, Russian or Iran...) so no... I'm Western, Eastern and so-east-you're-somewhere-in-Asia all in one.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:55:46 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Balthasar
Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »

"West" is not a mere geographical discription. Greece is the cradle of "Western" civilization. In today's world Russia and Japan too belong to the Western civilization.

Going back the anti-Christ spirit, as we all know, spiritual diseases lead to spiritual death, Homosexuality is the symptom of this cancerous disease. And this particular disease is widespread in the West and Islamic-dominated states.

Now, may be 'Cardinal' Biro might get angry because his potential candidate for the Roman Papacy, Peter the Roman Son of the Turk said the following to the Christian-biased, Christiane Amanpour:

“African traditional systems kind of protect or have protected its population against this tendency,” the cardinal said. Unlike in the West, the rejection of homosexuality in Africa has protected children from molesters.  Cardinal Turkson:

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/12/meet-the-man-who-could-be-the-first-black-pope/

P.S: Please be wary of those whose name begins with “Christian” “Christine” or “Christiane”

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »

“African traditional systems kind of protect or have protected its population against this tendency,” the cardinal said. Unlike in the West, the rejection of homosexuality in Africa has protected children from molesters.  Cardinal Turkson:

ORLY?

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/africa_pre.html
http://www.afronline.org/?p=27868
http://76crimes.com/2012/05/08/traditional-african-homosexuality-has-learned-from-west/

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »

"West" is not a mere geographical discription. Greece is the cradle of "Western" civilization. In today's world Russia and Japan too belong to the Western civilization.

Going back the anti-Christ spirit, as we all know, spiritual diseases lead to spiritual death, Homosexuality is the symptom of this cancerous disease. And this particular disease is widespread in the West and Islamic-dominated states.

Now, may be 'Cardinal' Biro might get angry because his potential candidate for the Roman Papacy, Peter the Roman Son of the Turk said the following to the Christian-biased, Christiane Amanpour:

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/12/meet-the-man-who-could-be-the-first-black-pope/

P.S: Please be wary of those whose name begins with “Christian” “Christine” or “Christiane”

One, I'm a her. Two, I'm not a cardinal. See statement one.

Three, step away from the keyboard. You may hurt yourself.

Not posting
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »

LOL!

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »

I take offense to the "p.s." Christina/Christine/Kristin etc... is an honorable Orthodox name. St. Christina of Tyre, the Great Martyr is particularly revered. She also happens to be my daughter's patron and name saint.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: