OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 03:48:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I expect to see at a Serbian Orthodox Church?  (Read 1498 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 19, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »

Anything different?

Would like to go to an OCA parish as well, but out of my vicinity too.

Commuting has become bit of a problem for me to my WRO parish and the closest parish is about 10 minutes away but its a Greek Orthodox one.

I would like to be a part of community that is more of my age group.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »

First of all greetings.

This is my first post on this forum and hopefully it will be a useful one.  I am member of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Canada and have gone to few different diocesan parishes (ROCOR and GOA)...anyway, from my understanding there are few "minor" differences. The first one would be the calendar (Serbian church follows Julian calendar), language of service (some service in English some only in Serbian/Slavonic)...everything else should be more or less the same...if there are any particular questions, ask and I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »

I've only been to a Serbian parish once for liturgy, but fwiw didn't notice anything extremely different. Smiley

Welcome to the forum Putnik!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »

Anything different?

Well, I guess you'll see a lot of Serbs.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »

You'll notice a fully stocked bar in the parish hall and old ladies smoking cigarettes as the children run around their table.

Short skirts, no headcoverings, lots about Kosovo in the homily, etc.
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »

If you like hockey, you get to see Milan Lucic in the local Serbian Orthodox church in my area.  Possibly during the offseason only.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

I've only been to a Serbian parish once for liturgy, but fwiw didn't notice anything extremely different. Smiley

Welcome to the forum Putnik!

Thanks.  "Our" differences for some are small for other enormous....it all depends on personal experience.
Joseph Hazen

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:42 PM »

Depends. I go to a Serbian parish, but none of what the others have said you would find (except the fully stocked bar in the hall).

We have few ethnic Serbs, a lot of converts and a good bit from along the spectrum of age. Our liturgy is in English, our Icons are labeled in English, but we do have a few bits of the Liturgy in Slavonic. As far as I know nobody smokes. We do pray especially for Kosovo during the Great Entrance, but I don't think Father has ever mentioned it in the homily.

But I have heard of other parishes where that's not the case. It can depend, on the West Coast at least, at how much the priest is following the influence of Bishop Maxim, who is very supportive of the type of parish St. Vlad's encourages (from what I hear).

If you're near us you can stand by my wife and I on Sunday if you like lol. The only other parish in town is a Greek one, but there aren't any WRO around for hours so I doubt you're near us.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:05:18 PM »

The food during fellowship (especially if full of Serbs) will be different and unique.    If you have any children, expect cheek pinching.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »

Anything different?

Well, I guess you'll see a lot of Serbs.

Ding!  Smiley

Got there ahead of me.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »

Anything different?

Would like to go to an OCA parish as well, but out of my vicinity too.

Commuting has become bit of a problem for me to my WRO parish and the closest parish is about 10 minutes away but its a Greek Orthodox one.

I would like to be a part of community that is more of my age group.

So, did you survive dealing with Serbs?  Grin  What are your impressions?  I was always wondering how Serbs were perceived by non-Serbs (not counting political issues)...more along the lines if something makes them stand out besides the good looks offcourse.  Cheesy  I would also appreciate the comments from anybody who has ever gone to a "Serbian" parish-gathering and what was the overall feeling...
Thanks!
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 12:02:36 AM »

You'll notice a fully stocked bar in the parish hall and old ladies smoking cigarettes as the children run around their table.

Short skirts, no headcoverings, lots about Kosovo in the homily, etc.
Well I'm sold.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »

Going to a Serbian parish this weekend.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »

I am sure you will survive.  Grin SOC will be celebrating St. Basil of Ostrog so I am guessing there will be plenty of people, perhaps even some Slava celebrators...
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »

Hopefully there will be cevapi, ajvar, and kaimak at coffee hour, as well as lots of pork and plum brandy.

Liturgy should be in a mix of Serbian and Slavonic. Chant should be Byzantine. Iconography should be traditional. Calendar will be Old. There should be bearded men in leather jackets and old women wearing kerchiefs. There may be very few, if any communicants. You may witness "Lazy Susan Communion."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »

Hopefully there will be cevapi, ajvar, and kaimak at coffee hour, as well as lots of pork and plum brandy.

Liturgy should be in a mix of Serbian and Slavonic. Chant should be Byzantine. Iconography should be traditional. Calendar will be Old. There should be bearded men in leather jackets and old women wearing kerchiefs. There may be very few, if any communicants. You may witness "Lazy Susan Communion."

You may witness "Lazy Susan Communion."  What is this?Huh?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »

You may witness "Lazy Susan Communion."  What is this?Huh?

When the priest comes out with the chalice and says, "With the fear of God, with faith and with love draw near," and then turns around and goes back into the altar without anyone communing--usually because no one has gone to confession, so there are no communicants, according to the rule of that parish or diocese.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 06:51:14 AM »

When I was in Bulgaria I remember seeing even stranger practice: priest went out with the Gifts, returned and communed the people in the end of the Liturgy.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »

When I was in Bulgaria I remember seeing even stranger practice: priest went out with the Gifts, returned and communed the people in the end of the Liturgy.

I've seen this happen quite often during major feasts where large numbers of people will be communing. It's done to make sure that people stay to the end of the DL, and not disappear straight after they have communed. Irregular, but it happens.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »

When the priest comes out with the chalice and says, "With the fear of God, with faith and with love draw near," and then turns around and goes back into the altar without anyone communing--usually because no one has gone to confession, so there are no communicants, according to the rule of that parish or diocese.

LOL!  I saw that the first time that I attended a Serbian Church.  I was still a member of an Antiochian Church where everyone lined up like cattle to a trough (at that time), even though they had not confessed or fasted since Holy Week a year ago (if then).  I was going to get up to get in line that morning and lo and behold, no line, and the priest just walked out with the chalice, spun around and went back in. I kind of WTF'd one of the members after service and I was told that they only communed four times a year, and this was not one of the times.

Things have changed a lot in both parishes.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »

LOL!  I saw that the first time that I attended a Serbian Church.  I was still a member of an Antiochian Church where everyone lined up like cattle to a trough (at that time), even though they had not confessed or fasted since Holy Week a year ago (if then).  I was going to get up to get in line that morning and lo and behold, no line, and the priest just walked out with the chalice, spun around and went back in. I kind of WTF'd one of the members after service and I was told that they only communed four times a year, and this was not one of the times.

I have attended a couple of Antiochian parishes and both required "a recent confession and fasting" as pre-requirement for communion.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »

I have attended a couple of Antiochian parishes and both required "a recent confession and fasting" as pre-requirement for communion.
Where the ethnic Arabs predominate numerically it's not the case in AFAIK. And I think it's a good thing, overall.
Fotina02

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »

Where the ethnic Arabs predominate numerically it's not the case in AFAIK. And I think it's a good thing, overall.

Yet an Antiochian Metropolitan had this wonderful article on proper preparation for receiving.

Met. Saba (Esber) on Preparing for Communion
http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2011/10/met-saba-esber-on-preparing-for.html
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »

Define "require" and "recent".  Things have improved considerably at this particular parish.  They are at least told that this is the expectation.  

Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »

Yet an Antiochian Metropolitan had this wonderful article on proper preparation for receiving.

The issue is enforcement (as I am finding out while performing a Root Cause at work).  You can have all the wonderful teaching and writing that you want, but the enforcement indicates what is REALLY acceptable.  I would like to see a balance between the "I told you, but you can do whatever you want" attitude of the one parish here (in the name of Love, of course), and the draconian "I am the guardian of the chalice and you shall not pass unless you look starved to death and have come through the Inquisition" attitude of the other, where very few commune.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »

I've been to a number of Serbian parishes...and I found them to be very nice and inviting.

The Liturgy was in Church Slavonic, with a bit of Serbian thrown in here and there.  The sermon was in Serbian.
I could follow the Church Slavonic, but, was lost with the Serbian.

I noticed people putting paper money behind icons - especially on the tetrapod.  I've never seen that anywhere else.

Otherwise, it was just another Sunday Liturgy.  Nothing unusual....all was great!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »

I noticed people putting paper money behind icons - especially on the tetrapod.  I've never seen that anywhere else.

They also slide banknotes and coins under the white cloths the bride and groom stand on during the wedding ceremony ....
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:49 AM »

Now THAT I have seen done at Ukrainian weddings....so, the couple would be prosperous...right?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »

Now THAT I have seen done at Ukrainian weddings....so, the couple would be prosperous...right?

Right. Greeks have similar customs of "blessing with silver", but they can't leave coins under the wedding cloth, because Greeks don't use them.  Cheesy
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26:51 AM »

That’s one of the things I find interesting about religions that are often (rightly or wrongly) tied to ethnicity — the various ethnic branches have their own weird variants and customs that even lifelong members of the religion who aren’t part of the tribe in question don’t know about.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Fotina02

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »

The issue is enforcement (as I am finding out while performing a Root Cause at work).  You can have all the wonderful teaching and writing that you want, but the enforcement indicates what is REALLY acceptable.  I would like to see a balance between the "I told you, but you can do whatever you want" attitude of the one parish here (in the name of Love, of course), and the draconian "I am the guardian of the chalice and you shall not pass unless you look starved to death and have come through the Inquisition" attitude of the other, where very few commune.

Guidelines help, (enforcement seems too harsh for the faith of a total voluntary Lord and Savior), but what is REALLY acceptable only God sees in the communicant's heart.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »

God  Cheesy

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »

So looks like an ACROD parish may be closer. They are on the old calendar too right?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »

I would say it depends on the Serbian parish. Serbia is relatively small country, but full of variety. For example, some members of my family go regularly to the Holy Communion. And in some parishes confession is required prior to the Liturgy, and in some not (but it's minority) and in such cases it depends on your confessor. But I think things are slowly changing. And for some greatest celebrations (Holy Week, Pascha, Nativity, Slava) vast majority commune.

I've seen this happen quite often during major feasts where large numbers of people will be communing. It's done to make sure that people stay to the end of the DL, and not disappear straight after they have communed. Irregular, but it happens.

I know about some Serbian parishes doing such things (even beyond great celebrations). Once it happened to me in Polish parish, it was feast of st. Elias and it was on Friday so there was few people and nobody to confession so my priest communed me after kissing the cross in the end.

Yes, that's true. Sometimes so much money is put on the icon, that it's difficult to kiss it (first picture, taken by me in monastery Studenica), so lots of icons (or tetrapods) have hole to put money into it (second picture taken by me in st. Sava temple in Belgrade)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »

So looks like an ACROD parish may be closer. They are on the old calendar too right?

It depends on which one..
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »

It depends on which one..
This one:
St. Nicholas Church
http://acrod.org/directories/parishview?parish=0021

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: