OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:57:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More beautiful Pics Of Tikhvin's Icon Return  (Read 840 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: July 20, 2004, 10:52:42 PM »

Once again the OCA website has provided more beautiful picturesof the Tikvin's Icon back home.  Included is it's final shrine.  Many of the pictures of the inside of churches were museums or closed when I was there in 1988.  The inside of the church of the 'Spilled Blood'  is shown.  It was the first church I saw when we came into St Petersburgh from Helsinki.  It was closed at the time but there was a young soviet soldier in uniform standing in front of it praying, Crossing himself and bowing in front of it.  It was then I finally realized I was actually in Russia!   Enjoy these pictures.  They are beautiful.

Orthodoc

========

Thousands wait in line to venerate Tikhvin Icon in the Kazan Cathedral in St Petersburgh, Russia.  Cathedral remained opened 24hrs for five days to handle the crowds -

http://www.oca.org/pages/events/2004/07.July/0708TikhvinRussia/0707TikhvinKazan/index.html

Tikhon Icon enshired in its final home in Tikhvin, Russia. Pics include one of Metropolitan Herman & Patriarch Alexi standing before the new  Shrine for the Tikhvin Icon where it is now enshrined in Tikhvin, Russia -

http://www.oca.org/pages/events/2004/07.July/0708TikhvinRussia/0709%20FeastIcon/index.html

Beautiful Pics of the inside of 'Christ The Saviour Cathedral of the Spilled Blood' in St Petersburgh, Russia

http://www.oca.org/pages/events/2004/07.July/0708TikhvinRussia/0710SpilledBlood/index.html

More beautiful pics of the inside of the Kazan Cathedral in St Petersburgh, Russia -

http://www.oca.org/pages/events/2004/07.July/0708TikhvinRussia/0711KazanLiturgy/index.html

=========

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Fotina02

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 07:36:55 PM »

Pictures were not only beautiful but inspiring. I was struck with the reverence in the faces of the people, and all the crowds of people to receive back the Tikhvin Icon. Also, all the women in the crowds even in the streets, not just in the churches, all with head coverings. The sight is humbling, regardless of one's view.

Simply amazing when one recalls that this in the former USSR after 70 some years of persecution of the Orthodox Church.  Indeed, God preserved His people. Glory to God.

Would that someday the same can be witnessed of the Orthodox in America.

Thanks for sharing.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »

The Russian version of Wikipedia confirms something I had heard about Fr. Sergei Garklavs, the former guardian of the Tikhvin icon and Abp. John's adopted son: he has returned to Russia (after his beloved wife Olga fell asleep on the forefeast of the Tikhvin icon), taken Russian citizenship, and he retired to its shrine in Russia.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: