OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:43:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting icon prints on wood: A tutorial  (Read 2159 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« on: February 19, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »

A few months ago, I proposed a tutorial on mounting prints; Yesterday I finally had, simultaneously, the benefit of time and recollection. So without further ado:

Icon Mounting Tutorial for the Layman

Materials:

Print
Wood
Suitable lacquer/varnish, glue, resin, etc.
Large and fine paintbrushes
Pencil
Straight edge
Plastic card
Utility knife or scissors
Saw
Sandpaper (80-150 grit is fine)
Newspaper

Preparation:

Select icon print.
Icon prints made on a personal use inkjet printer will be the most susceptible to color bleed. Glossy icons from calendars, magazines, etc. are often the better choice.

Always produce a high-resolution copy of a rare or personally valuable icon print before mounting it, in case something goes wrong. You could always mount the copy instead, too.

Select wood.
I used a spare cedar plank for my wood base. I recommend using any scrap wood you have lying around, or if you don’t feel up to measuring and cutting the wood, you could buy a small section from a hardware store or lumber yard and have them cut it for you. But that’s a lot of hassle, so don’t do it. Salpy mentioned staining the wood; you can do this, but with soft woods, the lacquer alone brings out a bit of the natural wood color.

Select lacquer.
Be careful not to use water-based glues. I used a matte acrylic lacquer for this demonstration, because it produces a non-reflective finish and doesn’t bleed the colors; this is my recommended lacquer.

Instruction:

Cut print out.
I cut this particular print out free-handed, as it has ornate edges and a separate plaque. For standard prints, cut using the straight edge and utility knife.

Cut wood.
Measure your print. Add ½ to 1 cm onto the length and width. The more “border” gap you add between the edge of the wood and the edge of the icon, the less precise you will have to be for it to look presentable. Lightly sand edges until roughness from the cut is removed. Sand the face to remove any bumps, and sand the reverse side so that your wall will not be damaged.

Apply lacquer to wood.

This coat should be extremely thin. Do not neglect the vertical sides of the wood.

Place print onto wood.

Adhere from top to bottom, pressing with a plastic card to remove air bubbles as you go along.

Apply lacquer to print and wood.
Using a diagonal brushstroke with a large brush, apply a thin coat of lacquer to the print and wood, being mindful of the print edges and sides. Smooth out your strokes with a fine brush.

Apply 3 more coats, with 1 hour intervals between each coat.

Apply a 5th, diluted coat.

Gently mix 1/4 part water with 1 part lacquer, being careful not to generate bubbles. Spend extra time using the fine brush for this last coat.

Let dry 24 hours.

And there you have it. This is an icon of Sts. Theodore Stratelates and Nicholas of Myra, from the 2011 St. Tikhon’s seminary calendar.

Previous threads:

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:18:33 PM »

^Totally post of the month.

IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »

^Totally post of the month.

Absolutely.

Great Nicholas!
Nephi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:35:47 PM »

Really great post.

Someday I'll get around to doing this...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:26:26 AM »

You gonna be at the arts and crafts show this year?

But still I've always wanted to know how to do this as well.

Thank you!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:20:52 AM »

Thank you! You're the best. I bookmarked this thread.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:23:07 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »

A few months ago, I proposed a tutorial on mounting prints; Yesterday I finally had, simultaneously, the benefit of time and recollection. So without further ado:

I agree with others that this is great! Is it posted elsewhere for easier linking and sharing with others?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

You gonna be at the arts and crafts show this year?
Are you? <3

Is it posted elsewhere for easier linking and sharing with others?
I could work on that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:48:02 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »

Official notice: this thread has been nominated for post of the month.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »

For an added touch, could you also paint the board (except the part the icon will be over) a dark red?

Also, does anyone know how to add the indented area to a wood block?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »

For an added touch, could you also paint the board (except the part the icon will be over) a dark red?
Sure. You could paint the entire board and then add some solid backing to your print so that the color wouldn't be visible underneath. That would save you a lot of extra precise measuring.

Do you mean beveling the edges, or creating an indent on the wood face so that the icon will sit flush inside?

Or the instrument? The instrument you could do with hand tools, a power drill, dremel, etc. The best tool to use would be a table-mounted dremel or router.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:38:01 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »

Also, thank you guys for the nominations.

88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »

Sure. You could paint the entire board and then add some solid backing to your print so that the color wouldn't be visible underneath. That would save you a lot of extra precise measuring.

Do you mean beveling the edges, or creating an indent on the wood face so that the icon will sit flush inside?

Or the instrument?

Creating the indent on the inside that the icon fits in. I can't remember the Greek name for it.

Like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BKbERvosiAQ/Tp4w5SvwHJI/AAAAAAAABLM/StBCLtn5b6g/s1600/Christ+icon.jpg
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »

Router seems like the best option.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:52:17 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Tags: decoupage  mount  icons  Wood  tutorial 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: