OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:56:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gift for priest?  (Read 918 times) Average Rating: 0
Mary E.

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochan

« on: February 18, 2013, 08:14:27 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have been journeying into Orthodoxy from Roman Catholocism during the past year.  My daughters and I will be received into the Church through chrismation this Sunday, Feb. 24.  Is it customary to give the priest a gift?  If so, any suggestions?  Also, what would be an appropriate gift for our sponsor?

Thanks!

Mary E.
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:16:58 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have been journeying into Orthodoxy from Roman Catholocism during the past year.  My daughters and I will be received into the Church through chrismation this Sunday, Feb. 24.  Is it customary to give the priest a gift?  If so, any suggestions?  Also, what would be an appropriate gift for our sponsor?

Thanks!

Mary E.

It is always good to give a priest a gift.  Icons are nice gifts, or books if you know there is a particular author, book or subject he would like to read on.  Or if you really love your priest and you have a ton of cash to spare, new vestments are always appreciated.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »

LEGO.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:32:16 PM »

You can just give him a cash donation, gift card or a good bottle of wine. 

As for the sponsors, give them a memento...something that will remind them of the day for years to come.

I was once given a fancy pen....which I used to sign the official baptism papers....and every time I used it I would remember my godchild.

Another time I was given a picture frame....and later came a photo of me holding the infant to place in the frame.

Other times, I got nothing....and it was fine.

Simply being a godparent is more than enough of a "gift".

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:34:57 PM »

LEGO.

If that is the case, he might like Jabba's Palace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267062/Lego-accused-racism-Turkish-community-say-toy-offensive-based-mosque.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »

+1

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »

How are the Lego posts helpful to the OP? 

I think few priests have time to sit around and play with Legos.

By the way, Mary E., welcome to the Forum!

I hope you will enjoy it here....and congratulations on your upcoming chrismation!  You must be very excited!!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »

Maybe the priest likes Lego.

I think it was on Good Guys Wear Black where there was a post that is an advice to seminarians headed for the priesthood.  One of the advices was to get a non-religious hobby.  Otherwise, the non-stop theology will burn them out.  Lego could be one of them.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »

If I were a priest and every time the gift I receive would be some church-related stuff I would go insane.

I'd really appreciate something less serious and I like LEGOs.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mary E.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »

Thank you everyone for the replies!  I am thinking of a gift certificate to a restaurant or maybe cash. I'm not good at picking out wine!  And the priest doesn't seem like the LEGO type but thanks for the interesting suggestion! 

I am very excited - it's like we are at the edge of the deep end of a swimming pool and are about to jump in.  This forum has been very helpful, so thank you everyone.  Looking forward to more conversations here.

Mary
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »

If I were a priest and every time the gift I receive would be some church-related stuff I would go insane.

I can imagine a priest's home having more icons than his parish Tongue
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »

Thank you everyone for the replies!  I am thinking of a gift certificate to a restaurant or maybe cash. I'm not good at picking out wine!  And the priest doesn't seem like the LEGO type but thanks for the interesting suggestion! 

I am very excited - it's like we are at the edge of the deep end of a swimming pool and are about to jump in.  This forum has been very helpful, so thank you everyone.  Looking forward to more conversations here.

Mary

I'm sure he'll appreciate whatever you give.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »

Imagine you have 20 catechumans in a year, everyone chooses St. Tikhon as a patron saint and everyone prestents you St. Tikhon's icon as a gift...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:03:52 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »

A person suggested an icon be given as a gift.  Who knows...perhaps it's a new church, and in need of icons.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »

A book might work, if you know what kind he'd enjoy reading, and can guess at what he might not have yet. I've given books several times as gifts, and they were generally well received, especially since, even if the priest doesn't use it, he can always put it in his library and use it at a later time as a reference or give it to someone else who'd like it. Smiley

And the priest doesn't seem like the LEGO type but thanks for the interesting suggestion! 

Ask him if he's an AFOL, then you'll know!

First, the plural of LEGO is just LEGO, not legos.  Wink  Second, lawyers, doctors, and all sorts of people play with LEGO. I see nothing absurd in a priest having time to play with LEGO, especially if he does so instead of equally trivial past-times like watching sports or exercizing or reading theology boards. I would think a more substantial objection is that it's a pricey hobby to be involved in.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »

Wine. Coffee. Cognac. Chocolate. Yet to come across an Orthodox priest (married or monastic) that'll say no to these.
Mary E.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:20:53 PM »

Would it be proper to re-gift my husband's extensive collection of LEGO?

Just kidding.

The coffee, chocolates & cognac sounds nice.  I also thought of a book called "The Seven Deadly Sins" which he might like because he says everyone has one major area which they are working on, which the book addresses.  He does have a lot of books, though.  I would have no idea how to pick out an icon for someone.
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:36 AM »

If your jurisdiction said Russian or Ukrainian, I would have said Vodka Tongue
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:20 AM »

Wine. Coffee. Cognac. Chocolate. Yet to come across an Orthodox priest (married or monastic) that'll say no to these.

This.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »

With the exception of coffee, I have a constant supply of all of the above from my bishop who is always given them but neither drinks nor eats chocolate Smiley First time for everything.
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »

With the exception of coffee, I have a constant supply of all of the above from my bishop who is always given them but neither drinks nor eats chocolate Smiley First time for everything.

First time, all right, that's shocking! Poor man!  Cry laugh
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »

+1

That's enough that priests receive some church stuff (mainly icons) from the congregation or bishop for their e.g anniversaries of priesthood. It can be something more practical (chocolate, a book, wine - provided that he drinks alcohol) or a bit not serious, but still being practical like LEGO (that's not so stupid: e.g I love LEGO and if even the preist don't like it, it can be for his children).

And, in my case, that's the priest who gives me some church stuff, not vice versa.
When I was chrismated, I just gave him a box chocolates. It's very universal, because most people  like chocolate, and even if not, it can be for his wife or children. Although, I can say, the priest was a bit confused that I have a present for him.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 05:27:54 AM »

I try to make something tasty to give him, that he can enjoy with his family, like
Banana bread or Cranberry bread

Mathe 24:36
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »

Mary E.

Do you have a budgeted dollar amount in mind?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 08:30:33 AM »

Imagine you have 20 catechumans in a year, everyone chooses St. Tikhon as a patron saint and everyone prestents you St. Tikhon's icon as a gift...

I can think of something a bishop would give that priest with 20 converts a tear  - a promotion!  Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »

I try to make something tasty to give him, that he can enjoy with his family, like
Banana bread or Cranberry bread

Sounds good!

I would also consider a basket of fruits from the local market.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »

i gave my priest (OO) once some anointing oil (mir / myron) from a romanian (EO) monastery.
he was really pleased with it!
ok, so u have to be passing by a church that sells monastery oil, so it may not be convenient.
otherwise chocolates are fine.

if you have a computer but no money, you can print out a really beautiful icon, personalised with some writing (typed if you are really good at the computer) from you at the bottom.
we copts range from the stingy paper-icon types, to the (awful) bling flashing light ones!
(u can guess which one i am!)

it is less common to give gifts in OO churches generally, so don't take my money-saving solutions too seriously for an EO priest.
if u have lots of money but are not sure what to get, then maybe get a small gift (e.g. something edible for the family) and put the rest of the money in the church box on sunday.

ok, so i am rubbish at gifts.
the last gift i got my God mother was an icon style fridge magnet, don't copy me too much.
Mary E.

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies. 

I am sad to say that the chrismation will not go through.  My teenage daughter decided to stay Roman Catholic, and the priest thought it might be best for family unity if we all worshipped in one place.  So I will find a liturgy that nourishes me within my own tradition.

Thanks again for your replies and blessings to all of you.

Mary E.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »

I am sad to say that the chrismation will not go through.  My teenage daughter decided to stay Roman Catholic, and the priest thought it might be best for family unity if we all worshipped in one place.  So I will find a liturgy that nourishes me within my own tradition.

Mary E.

I wish you happiness where you are.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 08:46:40 PM »

And more wall crosses.   
Mary E.

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »

Thank you, Biro.
choy
Archon

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »

Mary E.

I really admire Orthodox priests because of this.

This must be God's will. You are in my prayers.
Mary E.

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »

Choy, thank you for your support during this sad time.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:09 PM »

And more wall crosses.   

On a serious note my late father, an Orthodox priest of over sixty years' service , accumulated many religious items as gifts over the course of his career. On his passing we gave many away to younger clergy who were his friends or who were inspired by him or to people touched by his ministry. We were able to remember how an item related to the particular person. It was a profoundly moving time for us and a beautiful way of "paying forward" the kindness of those who gave the items to my dad.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: