OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:57:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Orthodox Films?  (Read 2367 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: February 18, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »

I always enjoy watching the old films on television which re-tell stories from the Bible--like The Ten Commandments especially. However, I do not see very many which take place after the book of Acts. Such as films which would re-tell stories about certain inspirational Saints or events in the history of the Church. And among the very few that I have seen, they are usually told from a Roman Catholic perspective--and I find myself pointing out flaws in them the entire time. Are there are any films like this told from an Orthodox perspective? Preferably with English subtitles, since I'm assuming they would be in some Eastern European language.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »

Do you want dramatic re-tellings only, or biography/documentary style ones as well?

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:19:45 PM »

My father has made a film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WH0V6sA8S8
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:20:32 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »

You mean you guys don't have 500,000 movies on the lives of the saints? Cos the Copts sure do.

The Coptic saint film industry page Grin (some subtitled, some not; some pre-Chalcedon, some not)

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »

You mean you guys don't have 500,000 movies on the lives of the saints? Cos the Copts sure do.

The Coptic saint film industry page Grin (some subtitled, some not; some pre-Chalcedon, some not)

dzheremi hehehe, so true, now you have got to give me a list of favorites because I have seen very few of them. some are considerably well done while others well they are the sunday school drama club variety with lofty hagiographical language that is okay in writting but very weired when spoken.. u know Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »

Yes, I definitely know what you mean, Hiwot. Smiley

I have only seen a few myself, and I only own St. Bishoy's (because it was a gift; one of the discs is defective, so I haven't even seen the whole thing). I liked the one of Abouna Abdelmasih el-Habashi (not the same as the one listed as "Abd El Masseh" on that website), but I didn't like St. George or St. Moses the Ethiopian's. So it's definitely hit-or-miss. Coptic Hollywood (Shoubrawood?) is not rich enough to be consistent, it seems.

If I remember correctly, I saw St. George's movie on YT with Ethiopian narration over what appears to be a Coptic movie (either that or Habesha actors are all very light-skinned  Wink). Are there Ethiopian-made movies for Ethiopian saints? I'd like to see those, if they exist.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:15:20 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »

As far as dramatic performance Orthodox movies, there's Ostrov, as well as several other Russian movies of note such as "Repentance" and "Ne Goryuy (Don't Grieve)"

The Greek Archdiocese of America has several movies on select saints. Light and Life used to have a movie/video section back when people still had VHS.

A movie or miniseries on the life of St. Paul would be great. David Suchet (Poirot) did a two-part special as a documentary on St. Paul and hinted at his desire to play St. Paul. Not Orthodox, but may still be good.

Other movies of Christian theme and good cinematography are Ben-Hur, King of Kings, The Robe, Quo Vadis, Demetrius and the Gladiators, The Silver Chalice--all from the era when Hollywood did Jesus/Early Christian epics.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:47:27 PM »

Yes, I definitely know what you mean, Hiwot. Smiley

I have only seen a few myself, and I only own St. Bishoy's (because it was a gift; one of the discs is defective, so I haven't even seen the whole thing). I liked the one of Abouna Abdelmasih el-Habashi (not the same as the one listed as "Abd El Masseh" on that website), but I didn't like St. George or St. Moses the Ethiopian's. So it's definitely hit-or-miss. Coptic Hollywood (Shoubrawood?) is not rich enough to be consistent, it seems.

If I remember correctly, I saw St. George's movie on YT with Ethiopian narration over what appears to be a Coptic movie (either that or Habesha actors are all very light-skinned  Wink). Are there Ethiopian-made movies for Ethiopian saints? I'd like to see those, if they exist.

LOL@ Shoubrawood!!

I liked Abouna abdelmasih el habashi's as well. but my favorite is about Abouna Anderawes el samuel, it is called Visitor from heaven.

Ethiopians love coptic movies, they have dozens of coptic movies with amharic narration. so far they have not made any ethiopian movies about the saints. just stage dramas.

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »

Here's a film based on the life of St. Mary of Egypt. Its in Arabic but has English subtitles. Its my favorite Orthodox film so far!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWwn9mDAvY&list=PL2EA5D4073F66A9D4&index=1

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »

Oh yeah! St. Mary of Egypt has a good one, too!

Hiwot: That's too bad. I think it would be good to have Ethiopian saints' movies to increase the knowledge of them among Ethiopians and non-Ethiopians alike. Pretty much the only saint from Ethiopia that anyone at my church knows is St. Tekla Haymanot, and I think that's mostly because there's a famous church named after the saint in Alexandria. One time I mentioned St. Yared to a friend from church and he had no idea who I was talking about. Sad

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »

Cantor, Smiley

dzheremi, yeah it would be great if they could, but I guess baby steps for now. a lot of work remains to familiarise the laity at least the prominent saints in each jurisdiction in our church. movies would be very effective for that purpose.

a hymn for Abona andrawes Smiley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMlOpg4GwIY

the movie in arabic, this one does not have subtitles, sorry. the one I saw had, but I could not find it now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlt3pnI189c
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:39:29 PM by Hiwot » Logged

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

dzheremi hehehe, so true, now you have got to give me a list of favorites because I have seen very few of them. some are considerably well done while others well they are the sunday school drama club variety with lofty hagiographical language that is okay in writting but very weired when spoken.. u know Smiley

Most of them are pure schlock, but you gotta start somewhere. In time, I'm sure they'll get better.

But all things considered, the one for St. Anba Abraam is quite good. It's a movie I think most anyone could enjoy.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »

The Greek Archdiocese of America has several movies on select saints. Light and Life used to have a movie/video section back when people still had VHS.

There's one called "Maria the Nun" or similar that I saw a long time ago that's very nice. I believe its by the GOAA and in English. It was a VHS tape with Arabic subtitles.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »

has anyone seen Tsar? It stars Pyotr Mamonov who was in Ostrov. Would it fit this cateogry?

ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »

The movie is very interesting Smiley

Andrey Rublyov is based on the life of Saint Andrey Rublyov.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060107/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »

Most of them are pure schlock, but you gotta start somewhere. In time, I'm sure they'll get better.

But all things considered, the one for St. Anba Abraam is quite good. It's a movie I think most anyone could enjoy.

The one about Fr. Yostos, the silent monk, was good too.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:11:08 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »

The movie is very interesting Smiley

Andrey Rublyov is based on the life of Saint Andrey Rublyov.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060107/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
For some reason I was really taken by the ending of that one.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »

has anyone seen Tsar? It stars Pyotr Mamonov who was in Ostrov. Would it fit this cateogry?

I think it would. It's a good film.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

yesterday I watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eew6oJTmrgk I have no idea about the russian title, it has greek subtitles but I think someone from here can tell you the real title and search it with english subtitles

OCTΡOB is good also

and another russian is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPYU51WbmJc (I have no idea about the russian title also)

In Greek we have mostly documentaries if you want
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »

The Colour of Pomegranates, undoubtedly the most Orthodox film ever made.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »

That's not quite a movie... it's more like poetry in moving images. But it is very interesting..

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »

I'd love to see a movie about St. Anthony the Great once.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »

An Iconodule type of answer.

But I came across this on the way:Shadows of our forgotten ancestors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=5GoXMSAMOyg

Not exactly an Orthodox film-about as Orthodox as Zorba the Greek-but of interest perhaps to Carpathian folk.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »

The Legend of Suram Fortress

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »

Hey check it out, the animated film Prince Vladimir is now on Youtube with English subtitles

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »

Hey check it out, the animated film Prince Vladimir is now on Youtube with English subtitles

Russian animation isn't what it used to be back in the Soviet days:

Hedgehog in the fog

Nina Shorina made interesting animation using texts from the great Russian novelists - I liked this one best, but they've taken the subtitled version off Youtube, unfortunately.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »

That was very interesting, even if I didn't understand any of it.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 04:46:07 PM »

I'd love to see a movie about St. Anthony the Great once.
Yea, this.

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »

Here are some documentaries that might interest you:

http://www.stnectariospress.com/catalog/multi-media.htm
The Creed DVD by father Panteleimon - 15.00
On the Divinity of Christ by father Panteleimon - 15.00
The Marriage Service as a part of Eucharist - 15.00
We Believe in One God by father Haralambos - 15.00
The Mother of God by father Panteleimon - 15.00
Why should we live a virtuous life by Metropolitan Ephraim - 15.00
The way of the cross: the path to santification by Bishop Demetrios - 15.00
An evening with Metropolitan Ephraim - 15.00
Enter in: Exploring the feasts of the Church by the Greek Archiodese of North America (4DVDS) - 35.00
Life of St. John Maximovitch - 20.00

http://www.newgracanica.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=20
His Holiness Patriarch Pavle DVD - 15
Ikona - The Icon DVD - 18
Susret pod Ostrogom -The Ostrog Encounter - 12
Sveti Nikolaj Srpski - 12
A Pilgrim's Way - 16

Has anyone seen any of this dvds? I have seen one about St. (Sveti) Nikolaj Velimirovic - it's amazing and is available in various language
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »

I second "Repentance." I also liked "Solaris" by Tarkovsky, which has some undertones that are arguably Orthodox.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:16:06 PM by NightOwl » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »

saint bola (paul)'s movie on the coptic me site has a lot about saint antony in it as well.
sadly, this version is not subtitled; i have seen it subtitled, but i borrowed it from the church library.

watching many saint movies is part of the process of integrating into the coptic church!
 Wink

i love saint movies a lot!
 Smiley
Phanouria

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »

OCTPOB!

"It's said in publishing that no cat book ever loses money.  Maybe it's true; bibliophiles tend to be ailurophiles, and both are tenacious breeds."

Emily Toth, Woman's Review of Books 1 Jul 1995
Nikolai Sergeev

Jurisdiction: Arkhangelsk and Holmogorskya Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »

Quo Vadis is one great movie. Polish, I believe.
Also Russian movie "Pop" is very good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn0ke6DhCr4
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:19:28 PM by Nikolai Sergeev » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »

Boring and amateur. One of 3 movies I've fallen asleep in the cinema.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nikolai Sergeev

Jurisdiction: Arkhangelsk and Holmogorskya Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »

I watched it like ten years ago, when I actually wasn't in orthodox church yet, so maybe it produced a wrong impression on me then. But as far as I remember I quite liked the movie.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:22:19 PM by Nikolai Sergeev » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »

I watched it like ten years ago, when I actually wasn't in orthodox church yet, so maybe it produced a wrong impression on me then. But as far as I remember I quite liked the movie.

I watched it 10 years ago or something like that. I remember only styrofoam columns burning.

Book is better a bit but still more fiction, like historical one. As all Sienkiewicz' books.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nikolai Sergeev

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »

I guess I need to watch again someday, and read the book  Smiley.

There is also one very good movie "One day in the life of a men's monastery" about a monastery in Abkhazia. 25 min, no translation required https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZqfd-0smM
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 11:52:05 PM »

Just watched it and really liked it.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 11:02:44 AM »

***subscribed***

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2013, 09:37:58 PM »

Has anyone seen this new Romanian movie "Beyond the hills"?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_the_Hills

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Pnn3PSfE_qg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPnn3PSfE_qg
Is it any good or anti-Orthodox?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 01:59:29 AM »

Watch it and make your own opinion.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »

Watch it and make your own opinion.

I was planning to do so, but figured to ask the impression of others as well since this is the review forum...
Stepan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »

As far as dramatic performance Orthodox movies, there's Ostrov, as well as several other Russian movies of note such as "Repentance" and "Ne Goryuy (Don't Grieve)"

A movie or miniseries on the life of St. Paul would be great. David Suchet (Poirot) did a two-part special as a documentary on St. Paul and hinted at his desire to play St. Paul. Not Orthodox, but may still be good.

Other movies of Christian theme and good cinematography are Ben-Hur, King of Kings, The Robe, Quo Vadis, Demetrius and the Gladiators, The Silver Chalice--all from the era when Hollywood did Jesus/Early Christian epics.

I just watched Ostrov over the weekend - REALLY liked it. Will have to check out Repentance and Don't Grieve.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2013, 12:53:49 PM »

I found this film about St. Mary of Egypt on a greek orthodox channel, but I can't tell if it was made by eastern or oriental orthodox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aEJQCAl-z0

Oh wait, watched some more. Definately oriental.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:59:44 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »

it's an egyptian dialect, so it will be coptic.
will go and watch more when i have time!
 Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: