OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 12:11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lossky, Frs. Schemm. and Meyendorff not reliable?  (Read 1997 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »

Devin is a devotee of the Fr Thomas Hopko and Jeannie Constantinou school of thought.  police
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »

Devin, in response to "slow clap", if this was sarcasm please read the purpose of the Convert Issues and consider how you responded and may be in violation of Convert issues Forum. Please stay within the Convert Issues Forum purpose to avoid further moderation.

"The purpose of the Convert issues forum is to provide a a place on the OC.Net where inquirers, catechumen, and newly converted could ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. Many of those posting in this area are ignorant of Orthodox teachings and are using this forum to understand what are the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. Due to the simplicity of many of their requests and responses, direct and simple answers with sources if possible are most helpful.

If the moderators find that the discusions become faith or jurisdiction debates, the topic will be split and sent the appropriate OC.Net forum to continue the discussion or debate. As a poster,You may also ask that a topic be split so that a private discussion can be established to go into detail about the issues that you feel adamant about and wish to debate or discuss. The convert forum is not a place for combative debate or arguement.

Thank you for your following these guidelines to the edification and spiritual growth of the forum inquirers, catechumen, and newly converted."

Sarcasm would fall in a violation of the spirit of this forum. Debate or discussion that falls in this area of response should be taken to the other forums where this is allowed.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »

There are folks in this world who for reasons that are important to them criticize and or condemn perfectly orthodox theologians and leaders, such as Fathers Lossky, Schmemann and Meyendorff. They have even attacked Father Alexander Men of blessed memory and current hierarchs, such as Metropolitans Kallistos (Ware) and Hilarion (Alfayev). These folks are zealots and tend to believe that they are (a) better than the rest of Orthodox and/or (b) the true Orthodox, with the rest being heretical.

or c) *fanfare* without conspiracy theories or any other hullabaloo just happen to disagree with them.

We don't believe in infallible clerics. People make mistakes.

I agree with you in the main. However, isn't there a difference between disagreement and condemnation? I think that this difference is clearly shown in the works by Father Andrew Philips (disagreement) and Father Daniel Sysoiev (condemnation).

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 05:04:16 AM »

Ok, liberal enough for you? 

I don't consider that liberal. In my opinion all those are wrong (though not really that unheard in my local church) but by "liberal" I mean more radical thoughts. Like bishop Spong and the like.

I agree with you in the main. However, isn't there a difference between disagreement and condemnation? I think that this difference is clearly shown in the works by Father Andrew Philips (disagreement) and Father Daniel Sysoiev (condemnation).

There is a difference but I know just about nothing about those two Fathers.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »

The majority of the articles on the Orthodox England site must be treated with great caution. Some don't even stand up to basic scrutiny.

I'm shocked at the article posted. It attributes the views of these authors as being innovation and western. Yet actually things like the idea of "sacred liturgical language", priesthood being exclusive to hierarchy are both actually Western influences on Russia and not the idea of vernacular language and priesthood of all believers.

He even condemns his-holiness Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev as a heretic which is Quite unfortunate. God-willing, Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev will be the next Patriarch of Moscow.

Metropolitan Hilarion is no saint, and I hope he is never patriarch. Recently he gave his blessing to an Archpriest to hold join an joint service with the anglicans, letting the anglican priest into the altar and let him read the epistles and joint prayer with anglicans. He is ignoring the agreement with ROCOR and is ignoring canons.

you can see more about that here:

http://blagogon.ru/digest/364/

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »

but anyway to talk about the OP, I know nothing about any of them. I don't see the point in reading them, just read the holy fathers and then you will not be confused as to who is right or wrong because you know they are right.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: