OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 03:59:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have Greeks become Godless?  (Read 1630 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »

Then, it's a good thing that most muslims in Denmark don't live according to the quran.

Well, this is their choice then. This does not change the fact that Islam compels its followers to conquer non-Muslim lands and subjugate all non-Muslims living there though.
Maybe, but if a majority of muslims don't follow Islam, it's not really a problem.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »

And Catholics took revenge from Muslims when they conquered Cordoba and turned the biggest mosque into a Christian cathedral in return for the loss of Agia Sofia.  Wink
And Spain became a dominant world power while the Muslim cavemen decimated what was left of the Roman Empire.

Between 8th-11th century, the Arabs were the most sophisticated culture in the known world, and Europeans were barbarians. Roll Eyes

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2013, 09:26:06 AM »

We have problems with Roman Catholics too.

Not even close Michal.
Pretty much because you had done the same in 1204. Your point?

Again, not even close. Byzantium survived a few rogue crusaders.

Ottoman Turks utterly destroyed what was left of the Christian Roman Empire at that time.

Your continous analogy between Muslims and Catholics sucks to put it bluntly.

You need a new schtick.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 09:26:58 AM »

And Catholics took revenge from Muslims when they conquered Cordoba and turned the biggest mosque into a Christian cathedral in return for the loss of Agia Sofia.  Wink
And Spain became a dominant world power while the Muslim cavemen decimated what was left of the Roman Empire.

Between 8th-11th century, the Arabs were the most sophisticated culture in the known world, and Europeans were barbarians. Roll Eyes

and this was so because Arabs translated the writings of the Greek philosophers and doctors.  Grin

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »

Ottoman Turks utterly destroyed what was left of the Christian Roman Empire at that time.

Traditionalist Catholics think the Pope had no right to crown Charlemagne Roman Emperor in 800AD?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:29:20 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »

and this was so because Arabs translated the writings of the Greek philosophers and doctors.  Grin

To a great extent, yes. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »

Quite alot of muslims are also just muslims in name.

True, but bad Orthodox and Catholics are so IN SPITE OF the Gospel whereas bad Muslims are so BECAUSE OF the Qur'an.  Grin
Then, it's a good thing that most muslims in Denmark don't live according to the quran.
And you can prove this of course.

Ask the family of Theo Van Gogh if most Muslims in Denmark aren't living Quarnic.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 09:31:01 AM »

Well no, the Byzantine Empire was doing alright.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »

No. But since I'm neither part of the Roman Catholic or the Eastern Orthodox communion I'm a schismatic from both points of view. But that's not my point. You called the Greeks "one of the strongest stalwarts and defenders of the Church" and yet you think them schismatics.

Schismatic does not mean heretical though.  Grin
Exactly. Some of the SSPX are the strongest stalwarts of the Chruch today.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 09:32:40 AM »

This kind of ecclesiology is way too confusing for me. How people who rend the robe of Christ,  woven whole from the top down can be stalwarts of what they tear apart is above me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:33:47 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »

Speculative. And even if they were, they stole most of the "sophistication" from previous pagan or Christian cultures.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »

Traditionalist Catholics think the Pope had no right to crown Charlemagne Roman Emperor in 800AD?
That;s "Holy" Roman Empire.

And that's after his grandfather completely kicked the Moslems out of Western Europe .

Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »

Ask the family of Theo Van Gogh if most Muslims in Denmark aren't living Quarnic.

and an anti-Islamic critic and writer was attacked by a Muslim a few days ago, but luckily survived when the terrorist missed one shoot and failed to fire his gun a second time. This happened in Denmark too?   Roll Eyes

http://www.answeringmuslims.com/2013/02/lars-hedegaard-escapes-shooting-in.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:47:14 AM by Theophilos78 » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »

The Roman throne of Constantinople was declared vacant and Charlemagne was placed on it by the Pope. The Holy Roman Empire never made much of a secret of it that they were the Roman Emperors and that the Byzantine Emperor was the Greek Emperor.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:39:44 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 09:46:47 AM »

This kind of ecclesiology is way too confusing for me. How people who rend the robe of Christ,  woven whole from the top down can be stalwarts of what they tear apart is above me.
Ok "christianity" if it makes you feel better. Whatever.

What do you want cyrillic, a continent full of Ottoman Moslem Turks just to prove a point?

This pro-Moslem, Roman Catholic-hating crowd on here becomes very nauseating, they will do whatever it takes to tear us papists apart and that even means sucking up to pagan, Moslem infidels, quite frankly it's sickening.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »

Don't worry, Charles. I'm with you. I just like to nitpick Wink
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:48:47 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »

Even Zionists cannot be worse than Muslims.  Grin

Time to go and clean my room now... Bye people!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:51:09 AM by Theophilos78 » Logged

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »

and an anti-Islamic critic and writer was attacked by a Muslim a few days ago, but luckily survived when the terrorist missed one shoot and failed to fire his gun a second time. This happened in Denmark too?   Roll Eyes

Yes, more of this nonsense.

Again I ask, does allowing in  Muslims make your nation any better?

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »

Don't worry, Charles. I'm with you. I just like to nitpick Wink
Ah, I see that. Believe me, I have issues with some of the things the Church did a thousand years ago as well, but there's enough blame on all sides to go around. But we should at least be a united fron against Islam, then we can work out our differences.  Wink

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »

Even Zionists cannot be worse than Muslims.  Grin

Time to go and clean my room now... Bye people!
Yes, me too, thanks for your input.

Take it easy everyone.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »

Speculative. And even if they were, they stole most of the "sophistication" from previous pagan or Christian cultures.

More speculation. If only the Europeans had returned the favour and kept the sophistication as well.

Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »

Firstly, Theo Van Gogh wasn't danish, he was dutch.

Secondly, I have never denied that there were islamists in Denmark, I simply doesn't think that there is any chance that my country is going to be turned into a khilafa state in the nearest future.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »

What's the difference? Both start with a 'd', both are Europeans, both like bikes and in both countries the weather is bad Smiley
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:18:58 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:48 AM »

What's the difference? Both start with a 'd', both are Europeans, both like bikes and in both countries the weather is bad Smiley

Free hash.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:51:07 AM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »

Secondly, I have never denied that there were islamists in Denmark, I simply doesn't think that there is any chance that my country is going to be turned into a khilafa state in the nearest future.
Dutch, Danish, what's the dif? You get my drift anyway. Besides, the muzzies were going to off this guy if he was from Deutchland, Dutch-land, Dane-land or whatever. that's how they deal with anyone critical with Islam, the Quran or Mohamed. death without trial. They're not capable of things say like, oh I don't know, evidence, logic and deductive reasoning . these things are like kryptonite to these people and to be honest, a lot of Christians these days as well. But let's be real here, Christians aren't out lopping off people's heads because they don't believe what's in the bible or maybe they talked a little smack about Jesus.

Europeans believe in things like dialogue and resonable debate.

Muslim cavemen believe in beheadings or chasing you down on your tenspeed and making Swiss cheese out of you with a steak-knife.

Muslims out of Europe and lock the gate at Greece and any other port of entry.

Greece has a lot of problems but one of them isn't being "godless".

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »

The threat to Greece is not whether or not they're becoming godless.

It's whether someday soon they might become Greekless. Wink

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »

Free hash.  Smiley

I'm sure there's some in Christiania.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »

I thought this was suppose to be a traditional bash the Greeks thread. We need this service to keep our self-esteem as close to zero as possible.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »

Free hash.  Smiley

I'm sure there's some in Christiania.

Alrigth, you got me.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »

Dutch, Danish, what's the dif? You get my drift anyway. Besides, the muzzies were going to off this guy if he was from Deutchland, Dutch-land, Dane-land or whatever. that's how they deal with anyone critical with Islam, the Quran or Mohamed. death without trial. They're not capable of things say like, oh I don't know, evidence, logic and deductive reasoning . these things are like kryptonite to these people and to be honest, a lot of Christians these days as well. But let's be real here, Christians aren't out lopping off people's heads because they don't believe what's in the bible or maybe they talked a little smack about Jesus.

Muslim cavemen believe in beheadings or chasing you down on your tenspeed and making Swiss cheese out of you with a steak-knife.

Never confuse the person, formed in the image of God, with the evil that is in him, because evil is but a chance misfortune, illness, a devilish reverie. But the very essence of the person is the image of God, and this remains in him despite every disfigurement.

- St. John of Kronstadt

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »

Nothing rallies the Greeks like a real threat to our national and religious identity.

If that happens, the riots in the streets you've seen in the news will look like playground tussles.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »

I thought this was suppose to be a traditional bash the Greeks thread. We need this service to keep our self-esteem as close to zero as possible.

I've never noticed that Greeks were picked on.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »

Nothing rallies the Greeks like a real threat to our national and religious identity.
If that happens, the riots in the streets you've seen in the news will look like playground tussles.
Islam is a threat to both.

Why do you think they never let them build mosques in Greece? The Greeks are not stupid. Unike the French, Danes and English.

They know all about Muslims.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »

Never confuse the person, formed in the image of God, with the evil that is in him, because evil is but a chance misfortune, illness, a devilish reverie. But the very essence of the person is the image of God, and this remains in him despite every disfigurement.

- St. John of Kronstadt
Does that quote include Christians or Indigenous Greeks?

Just checking.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »

Why do you think they never let them build mosques in Greece? The Greeks are not stupid. Unike the French, Danes and English.

Actually, the only "mosque" mosque in Denmark belong to the Ahmadiyya movement. The rest are just apartments and rented space.

-St Silouan the athonite
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »

I've never noticed that Greeks were picked on.

It comes up occasionally Cyrillic, usually embedded in some other thread topic, and just enough to keep us on the path to salvation.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2013, 12:21:43 PM »

- St. John of Kronstadt
Does that quote include Christians or Indigenous Greeks?

Just checking.

I think it includes all people.

-St Silouan the athonite
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »

Do you "think" or do you know?

Because sometimes I believe Christian charity applies to anyone else but "christians" themselves.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »

Do you "think" or do you know?

Because sometimes I believe Christian charity applies to anyone else but "christians" themselves.
Well, Saint John of Kronstadt speaks of the person who is created in the image of God, which, at least as far as I know, means all people, christians as well as muslims.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »

There are mosques in Greece: in Thrace, where the Greek Muslim minority lives. Beyond that area, there were very few Muslims until recently.

Anyway, the Archdiocese has to grant permission for any non-Orthodox religious group to establish an official centre of worship, so any requests are treated with suitable circumspection.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2013, 12:53:54 PM »

There are mosques in Greece: in Thrace, where the Greek Muslim minority lives. Beyond that area, there were very few Muslims until recently.

Anyway, the Archdiocese has to grant permission for any non-Orthodox religious group to establish an official centre of worship, so any requests are treated with suitable circumspection.
Yes I know, there really are but a few, but you're right, the Greeks are very suspect of having any. And with good cause.

Unlike the French who probably have more mosques in Paris than all of Greece and soon more minarets than steeples.

The Greeks simply don't buy into this bogus "multiculturalism" which basically a code word for Greek displacement.

Trebor135

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »

Given the dire demographics from the 2012 CIA World Factbook, you're right on the money...

Age structure:
0-14 years: 14.2% (male 785,922/female 739,868)
15-24 years: 9.9% (male 546,329/female 524,032)
25-54 years: 43.7% (male 2,345,569/female 2,358,679)
55-64 years: 12.4% (male 654,048/female 677,007)
65 years and over: 19.8% (male 935,054/female 1,201,319) (2012 est.)

Median age:
total: 42.8 years
male: 41.7 years
female: 43.9 years (2012 est.)

Population growth rate: 0.06% (2012 est.)

Birth rate: 9.08 births/1,000 population (2012 est.)

Death rate: 10.8 deaths/1,000 population (July 2012 est.)

Total fertility rate: 1.39 children born/woman (2012 est.)

Not too large an influx of Muslim migrants is necessary to change the religious composition of Greece. "Demographics is destiny", as they say.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

We have problems with Roman Catholics too.

Not even close Michal.
Pretty much because you had done the same in 1204. Your point?

Again, not even close. Byzantium survived a few rogue crusaders.

Your continous analogy between Muslims and Catholics sucks to put it bluntly.

You need a new schtick.

The Orthodox here have never been persecuted by the Muslims. However we have been persecuted a few times by Roman Catholics. Last time in 1938-46 (with a few breaks).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:28:01 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

The Orthodox here have never been persecuted by the Muslims.

YET is the word missing from your sentence.  Grin

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »

The Orthodox here have never been persecuted by the Muslims.

YET is the word missing from your sentence.  Grin

They haven't started persecuting us for 0.5 k years. I doubt they'll start soon.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: