OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:38:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When God looks at our lives, what does he care about the most?  (Read 507 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: February 17, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »

I found this what kind of Christian are you quiz, and I am not sure what the answer to this question should be.

19. When God looks at our lives, what does he care about the most?

A. Whether or not we've accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
       B. How much we have aligned ourselves with the kingdom of God.
       C. Whether or not I am a good person.
       D. How we feel day in, day out. He longs to make our lives better.

What do you think? What's a good Orthodox answer? I'm thinking it is B since A sounds evangelical, C doesn't necessarily include worshiping and following Him the way most people talk about "being a good person", and D is all about us in some transient aspect. And if it is B, what does that mean from an Orthodox perspective?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:54:26 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »

I would guess B fairly strongly. Verses that come to mind: See ye first the kingdom of God, and everything else will be added to you. The Kingdom of God is within. In patience possess ye your souls. Suffering produces perseverance, perseverance produces character, and character produces hope. A work of faith, a labor of love.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »

That we follow His word in the bible.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:15:59 PM by WPM » Logged
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »

Our Lord Himself answers your questions:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
   “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

(Matthew 25:31-46 ESV)

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:43:33 PM »

Is that question even Orthodox?
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

E. Headcoverings
F. Not having contact with heterodox

Peace.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »

Is that question even Orthodox?
It's not from an Orthodox site, but what would you say as an orthodox answer?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »

I found this what kind of Christian are you quiz, and I am not sure what the answer to this question should be.

What do you think? What's a good Orthodox answer? I'm thinking it is B since A sounds evangelical, C doesn't necessarily include worshiping and following Him the way most people talk about "being a good person", and D is all about us in some transient aspect. And if it is B, what does that mean from an Orthodox perspective?

I don't think any of them really work as they are.

I think a modified combination of A + B would be a better response. God wants us to accept Christ and a necessary component of this is to (try to, at least) align ourselves with his kingdom. "How much we have aligned ourselves" would probably better be replaced by "whether we are trying to align ourselves."
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »

A broken and a contrite heart God will not despise. (Ps. 50:17)

"I desire mercy (chesed - steadfast love), and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings." (Hos. 6:6)
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »

He cares if our life is elevated and participates in the eternal relationship of His Trinitarian Union. D would be the closest to this in some sense, not that he wants us to feel "good" or "confortable" but He certainly cares if we "feel" love for and from Him. As to the second part He did come so we may have life more abundantly, but not in some prosperity gospel sense.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:18:14 PM by Ashman618 » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:51 AM »

Our Lord Himself answers your questions:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
   “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

(Matthew 25:31-46 ESV)

Yes! Absolutely, Ionnis! This is the answer. Our God is a loving God who wishes for our salvation. We have a role to play in this. We are the conduits of God's love and mercy for those in need.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »

I have heard that praxis - how we carry out what we believe - is much more important than anything else.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Gebre Egziabeher

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 08:19:07 AM »

I don't think any of them really work as they are.

I think a modified combination of A + B would be a better response. God wants us to accept Christ and a necessary component of this is to (try to, at least) align ourselves with his kingdom. "How much we have aligned ourselves" would probably better be replaced by "whether we are trying to align ourselves."

Yes, this is a very reasonable answer. I feel as if much of the time we tend to forget that it is the will to repent that is central to the Christian Faith. You cannot live a life without sin for we humans are sinners in nature. This is why I am always baffled when some Christians claim they know they will be with God in His Kingdom after they pass. We must humble ourselves before God & pray for His forgiveness for all the sins we have committed in mind & body, all the days of our lives.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »

Whether we love our neighbour as ourselves and the Lord with all our heart.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: