OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:56:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mohamed vs Buddha.......  (Read 903 times) Average Rating: 0
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« on: February 17, 2013, 02:15:39 PM »

No contest in Iran.  Grin

Iran confiscates Buddha statues from shops
By BY NASSER KARIMI | Associated Press – 5 hrs ago..

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Buddha statues have joined Barbie dolls and characters from "The Simpsons" TV cartoon as banned items in the conservative Muslim nation.

Authorities are confiscating Buddha statues from shops in the Iranian capital, Tehran, to stop the promotion of Buddhism in the country, according to a report Sunday in the independent Arman daily.

Iran has long fought against items, such as Barbie toys, to defuse Western influence, but this appears to be the first time that Iranian authorities are showing an opposition to symbols from the East.

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-confiscates-buddha-statues-shops-092335149.html

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »

You gotta be kidding me. Buddha was probably the greatest pre-Christ being to ever walk the face of the Earth, Muhammed was a ruthless warlord. Buddha taught (although admittedly flawed in aspects) a way to live peacefully and shun the ways of the world. It's really no comparision who's better.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »

You gotta be kidding me. Buddha was probably the greatest pre-Christ being to ever walk the face of the Earth, Muhammed was a ruthless warlord. Buddha taught (although admittedly flawed in aspects) a way to live peacefully and shun the ways of the world. It's really no comparision who's better.

If you read the OP, I don't think you'll find Charles Martel to be arguing that Muhammad was better than Buddha.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:16:03 PM »

http://www.sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2007-04-06.gif

This, as they say, is It. Wink
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:17:00 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »

"Pre-Christ being?"
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »

If you read the OP, I don't think you'll find Charles Martel to be arguing that Muhammad was better than Buddha.
No I wasn't exactly. I think the law in Iran is a bit over the top.

I also respect them for protecting their culture to a degree.

But James does need to read more about the desert prophet other than Western, anti-Muslim resources.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:08:36 PM by Charles Martel » Logged

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:07:53 PM »

To me, Buddhism is very strange and complicated.

You almost need a degree in philosophy to begin to understand it.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »

That won't even help you because Buddhism uses eastern logic opposed to western, it's an entirely different worldview than the Scholasticism we are used to.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »

That won't even help you because Buddhism uses eastern logic opposed to western, it's an entirely different worldview than the Scholasticism we are used to.
I agree with you, the Eastern mind can be a very difficult thing for the Westerner to comprehend sometimes.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 07:44:26 PM »

No, Buddhism is very rational and scholastic. Put the East/West dichotomy in the dustbin where it belongs. Buddhist metaphysics are not that hard for, say,  an Aristotelian to follow.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:45:28 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure James is talking about the pop-buddhism he read about on an internet site...
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »

No, Buddhism is very rational and scholastic. Put the East/West dichotomy in the dustbin where it belongs. Buddhist metaphysics are not that hard for, say,  an Aristotelian to follow.

A professor of mine that had concentrated in East Asian philosophy sometimes referred to Zen, IIRC, Buddhism's denial of the law of noncontradiction. Is this contrary to the other Buddhist traditions then?
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »

At any rate, seems it is Islam that is pushing up on former Buddhist strongholds, not the other way around.

Maybe somtimes people need simple  old fashion religion and not some vague, incoherent, meta-physical belief system.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »

No, Buddhism is very rational and scholastic. Put the East/West dichotomy in the dustbin where it belongs. Buddhist metaphysics are not that hard for, say,  an Aristotelian to follow.

A professor of mine that had concentrated in East Asian philosophy sometimes referred to Zen, IIRC, Buddhism's denial of the law of noncontradiction. Is this contrary to the other Buddhist traditions then?

First of all, a lot of Asian philosophy professors wrongly focus on Zen Buddhism as something wholly different from general Buddhism. They draw attention to the various gimmicks (koans, crazy master stories) and enigmatic sayings, without delving into the general Buddhist philosophical system which Zen is based on like all Buddhisms are. It would be a lot more profitable to have students read about Hua-Yen metaphysics before looking into Zen, as it renders a lot of Zen writing much more intelligible. Unfortunately I doubt that most Asian philosophy professors know much about Hua-Yen at all.

Regarding the law of noncontradiction, I suspect your professor was probably referring to something like "there is a mountain and there is no mountain."

In Mahayana Buddhism, especially that informed by the Madhyamaka school, there is the doctrine of the "two truths"- relative and absolute. Relatively, there is a mountain. Absolutely there is no mountain because it is impermanent, has no abiding self, empty, etc.

Not that hard to understand, right?

Granted, concepts like emptiness in Buddhism are difficult to grasp but this holds true equally for "eastern" and "western" minds.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:09:36 PM by Iconodule » Logged

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »

First of all, a lot of Asian philosophy professors wrongly focus on Zen Buddhism as something wholly different from general Buddhism. They draw attention to the various gimmicks (koans, crazy master stories) and enigmatic sayings, without delving into the general Buddhist philosophical system which Zen is based on like all Buddhisms are. It would be a lot more profitable to have students read about Hua-Yen metaphysics before looking into Zen, as it renders a lot of Zen writing much more intelligible. Unfortunately I doubt that most Asian philosophy professors know much about Hua-Yen at all.

Regarding the law of noncontradiction, I suspect your professor was probably referring to something like "there is a mountain and there is no mountain."

In Mahayana Buddhism, especially that informed by the Madhyamaka school, there is the doctrine of the "two truths"- relative and absolute. Relatively, there is a mountain. Absolutely there is no mountain because it is impermanent, has no abiding self, empty, etc.

Not that hard to understand, right?

I honestly can't speak to his knowledge since I didn't have his class on East Asian philosophy, and his references to it in my other courses were short and sparse.

However, your example would make sense in general, but it wouldn't have applied to the context. Might have to contact him.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 08:24:35 PM »

Whatever the case may be, if your professor jumped into Zen without giving you a grounding in Madhyamaka and Hua-Yen (which could be courses in themselves) he was doing everyone a disservice.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »

Fantastic.

Also everyone go to Inconodule and Jetavan for all your Buddhism needs.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 06:06:24 AM »

Sinfest is a fantastic comic, and Little Buddha is one of the best characters on it. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »

Everybody knows that Buddha was a Christian.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 06:18:53 AM »

I'm pretty sure James is talking about the pop-buddhism he read about on an internet site...

And pop-Islam he read about from a non-Muslim source.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »

Nothing reveals the the truth of the Buddha more than his image being removed from the planet.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »

Nothing reveals the the truth of the Buddha more than his image being removed from the planet.

His footprints endure forever:

SavedByChrist94

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Born-Again

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »

"mohamed vs buddha?"

Draw, they're both fairy tales.

you want The True God? He is The God of Abraham, The God of Issac, The God of Jacob, The God of Israel, His name is YHWH(The Father, The Son(Jesus Christ, and The Holy Spirit) of The Bible.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

"Mohammed vs Buddha"?

Draw, they're both fairy tales.

You want the true God? He is the god of Abraham, the god of Issac, the god of Jacob, the god of Israel. His name is YHWH (The Father, the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit of the Church.

Fixed Smiley

Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 04:49:52 PM »

Both are heretical and they are in need of the truth of Orthodoxy.

Muslims are closer though. Muslims are monotheistic and their faith is derived from Christianity but they are heretics and their leaders have persecuted Christians for centuries. Buddhists are mainly atheists and have a dharmic religion.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »

Muslims are closer though. Muslims are monotheistic and their faith is derived from Christianity but they are heretics and their leaders have persecuted Christians for centuries. Buddhists are mainly atheists and have a dharmic religion.

You gotta be kidding me. Just because Islam has some similar external elements, that does not mean that they are closer to Christ's message. Buddhists are MUCH closer to Christ's message because they live peacefully, care for others and usually live very humble, monastic-like lives. I find that much more Christian than Islam, which advocates violence, intolerance and horror.

SavedByChrist94

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 05:10:42 PM »

His footprints endure forever:

I could've made that in Kindergarten, buddha was just some teacher, that's it.

you want truth? Burst of UV-like light from a dead body causing an Image on a cloth,

Jesus Christ said, John 14:16 "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »

Half right,

islam, buddhism, are false, and the orthodox church gives doctrines contrary to Scripture,

The Truth? YHWH, God of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, who exists as 3 Persons(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit), and are recorded Only by His Witnesses(Prophets, Apostles of Jesus Christ) (Early Church Fathers aren't witnesses but only useable to back  Doctrines IN Scripture for Apologetics)
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 05:21:05 PM »

You gotta be kidding me. Just because Islam has some similar external elements, that does not mean that they are closer to Christ's message. Buddhists are MUCH closer to Christ's message because they live peacefully, care for others and usually live very humble, monastic-like lives. I find that much more Christian than Islam, which advocates violence, intolerance and horror.

Nope buddhist deny pleasure and/or say it's finite when factually that's what life is all about, you're supposed to be happy, that's why God(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit) made us, it's either you have pleasure(peace, happiness joy, etc) or suffer, buddhism is against both so it's automatically false, along with islam, you're stuck with The Truth of The Old and New Testament, with The True God who is YHWH(The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit).

as a matter of fact, since buddhism denies God(YHWH) given pleasures, it actually causes MORE harm, anger, and sin, we are stuck in a suffering world due to oppression(buddhism), violence(islam), rebellion("atheism"), and confusion("agnostics"), when Factually the only place we can get that cure is from The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit(God)

As Paul said,

1 Timothy 4:1-54 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »

Typical Western observations. First off, I am not promoting Islam as a religion of peace because its not. Islam is basically a mixture of heresies derived from the Orthodox Christian faith. Buddhists have a totally different belief system derived from the Hindu Dharmic faiths and the traditional Buddhist faith doesn't even ascribe belief in a God. Muslims believe Christ is a Prophet and some sects even offer prayer to him, the Virgin Theotokos and many Christian saints.      

Buddhists haven't always been as peaceful and tolerant as you ascribe. The Muslims, Christians and Hindus of Burma, China and Sri Lanka have seen some nasty stuff in their history.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
SavedByChrist94

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »

Typical Western observations. First off, I am not promoting Islam as a religion of peace because its not. Islam is basically a mixture of heresies derived from the Orthodox Christian faith. Buddhists have a totally different belief system derived from the Hindu Dharmic faiths and the traditional Buddhist faith doesn't even ascribe belief in a God. Muslims believe Christ is a Prophet and some sects even offer prayer to him, the Virgin Theotokos and many Christian saints.      

Buddhists haven't always been as peaceful and tolerant as you ascribe. The Muslims, Christians and Hindus of Burma, China and Sri Lanka have seen some nasty stuff in their history.

This all comes down to, Matthew 7:21-28,

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in Heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' 24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 08:10:26 PM »

No I wasn't exactly. I think the law in Iran is a bit over the top.

I also respect them for protecting their culture to a degree.

But James does need to read more about the desert prophet other than Western, anti-Muslim resources.

Because those Middle Eastern Muslim sources that have him personally wiping out entire tribes are so good.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: