OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 05:50:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watchman Nee/Witness Lee  (Read 1798 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 13, 2005, 12:45:40 PM »

Anyone know anything about them?  I'm kinda arguing with someone on another forum (professional, not religious message board) who goes to one of their "Local Churches".

I tried reading some stuff of theirs online, but it is so verbose it's like they just talk you to death so that you give in.  I've heard that they have flawed Trinitarian beliefs.  Anyone know what those flawed beliefs are?  Thanks.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 12:48:42 PM »

I never studies thier beliefs but I had a friend who got involved w/ a "local church" in Austin in the '70's. Pretty scary cult-like folks.

Proverbs 22:7
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 12:53:13 PM »

Apparently, you missed out on the lengthy discourses of "Churchwork" a couple of months ago.  He was one of Watchman Nee's followers.  What happened on here was nothing compared to his ravings over on the Byzcath board, where, ironically, he was tolerated and not banned quickly.  I've never seen someone repeat the same thing so many times, nor someone dodge a question as many times.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 03:16:14 PM »

Apparently, you missed out on the lengthy discourses of "Churchwork" a couple of months ago. He was one of Watchman Nee's followers. What happened on here was nothing compared to his ravings over on the Byzcath board, where, ironically, he was tolerated and not banned quickly. I've never seen someone repeat the same thing so many times, nor someone dodge a question as many times.

Bizarre stuff, Schultz!

I had heard years ago that some of Watchman Nee's writings were quite good.  I never read them myself.  I guess my source must be mistaken.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 03:49:28 PM »

Anyone know anything about them? I'm kinda arguing with someone on another forum (professional, not religious message board) who goes to one of their "Local Churches".

I tried reading some stuff of theirs online, but it is so verbose it's like they just talk you to death so that you give in. I've heard that they have flawed Trinitarian beliefs. Anyone know what those flawed beliefs are? Thanks.

I have a friend who belongs to a Witness Lee church and I occasionally read the Recovery Version of the Bible, just to get a different perspective on the text from my own. All I can say from my own personal experience is that they seem like nice people and good Christians.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:50:34 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 05:20:59 PM »

I have a friend who belongs to a Witness Lee church and I occasionally read the Recovery Version of the Bible, just to get a different perspective on the text from my own. All I can say from my own personal experience is that they seem like nice people and good Christians.

Yes, I'm sure they are friendly and well intentioned.  From my brief impression though, there are several that are like SBC's that want to hit you over the head with their religion and scream fire and brimstone at you.

I'm wondering if there is any good Orthodox apologetic material out there that exposes their flaws (more regarding theology, like the Trinity).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: