Author Topic: Election of Bulgarian Patriarch Candidates Reaches Stalemate  (Read 6370 times)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Election of Bulgarian Patriarch Candidates Reaches Stalemate
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
The election of Bulgaria's new Orthodox patriarch reached a stalemate on Saturday, with the Holy Synod reportedly being unable to pick two of the three candidates for the job.

On Friday, Stara Zagora bishop Galaktion became the first candidate named by the Holy Synod. He is still the only patriarch hopeful to have gathered 10 Holy Synod votes, a necessary requirement for reaching the final stage of the election.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline ag_vn

• Elder
Re: Election of Bulgarian Patriarch Candidates Reaches Stalemate
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »
The three nominated candidates are:
1. Metropolitan Galaction of Stara Zagora
2. Metropolitan Neophyte of Rousse
3. Metropolitan Gabriel of Lovech

The first one is extremely controversial and is definetely considered anaxios by the society, the second one is a compromise candidate, the third one is considered the only worthy member of the Synod by the Bulgarian society.

The election and immediate enthronement of the Bulgarian Patriarch is scheduled for the next Sunday, February 24.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »

The first one is extremely controversial and is definetely considered anaxios by the society, the second one is a compromise candidate, the third one is considered the only worthy member of the Synod by the Bulgarian society.

The election and immediate enthronement of the Bulgarian Patriarch is scheduled for the next Sunday, February 24.
We were hoping Met. Joseph would be picked. :P What makes Metropolitan Gabriel considered the only worthy candidate? I know nothing of the Church in Bulgaria and have very limited experience with it in America.

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
Axios Patriarch Gabriel?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline ag_vn

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »

The first one is extremely controversial and is definitely considered anxious by the society, the second one is a compromise candidate, the third one is considered the only worthy member of the Synod by the Bulgarian society.

We were hoping Met. Joseph would be picked. :P What makes Metropolitan Gabriel considered the only worthy candidate? I know nothing of the Church in Bulgaria and have very limited experience with it in America.

In Christ,
Andrew

Met. Joseph stated he didn't want to be Patriarch because of his past. Met. Gabriel (or Gavriil in Bulgarian) is the favorite of the society (of course it doesn't mean that he will be elected next Sunday), because he is one of the only two Metropolitans, who was not an agent of the communist State Security, he is not controversial and scandalous (like some of the other Metropolitans, you know - expensive cars, expensive watches, luxurious life, rumours about nontraditional sexual orientation and activities, relations with some infamous businessmen, masons, etc.), he seems to be pretty ordinary.

Although people generally prefer a Patriarch who was not an agent, Met. Neophyte is thought to be an acceptable and compromise candidate.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:36:30 PM by ag_vn »

Offline ag_vn

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 02:37:28 PM »
Photos of the three nominees:

1. Metropolitan Galaction:

2. Metropolitan Neophyte:

3. Metropolitan Gabriel:

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »
The least popular candidate was nominated fastest.

Who will choose patriarch amongst those three?

Offline ag_vn

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »
The new Patriarch will be elected by an extraordinary council, convened for the election, consisting of:

-all the Metropolitans (the Bulgarian Orthodox Church follows the Greek model and "Metropolitan" simply means Diocesan Bishop), i.e. 14 Metropolitans. Met. Simeon of Western and Central Europe did not attend the session of Holy Synod yesterday and today for health reasons. Being a US citizen and living in the USA, with his diocese actually administered by his Auxiliary Bishop Anthony, he may not be able to attend this special council. So there may be 13 Metropolitans attending.

-all the Bishops - they are all Titular Bishops of ancient nonexistent sees nowadays and serve as Auxiliary Bishops or hold some administrative office. There are 18 or 19 Bishops currently.

-five representatives of each diocese - three clerics and two laypeople and ten representatives of the Diocese of Sofia (which is the Patriarchal diocese) - six clerics and four laypeople.

-a representative of each of the three stavropegial monasteries (Rila, Bachkovo, Troyan).

-two monastics from each diocese - a monk and a nun.

-a representative of each of the two seminaries (in Sofia and Plovdiv).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:07:45 PM by ag_vn »

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
TY

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
The new Patriarch will be elected by an extraordinary council, convened for the election, consisting of:

-all the Metropolitans (the Bulgarian Orthodox Church follows the Greek model and "Metropolitan" simply means Diocesan Bishop), i.e. 14 Metropolitans. Met. Simeon of Western and Central Europe did not attend the session of Holy Synod yesterday and today for health reasons. Being a US citizen and living in the USA, with his diocese actually administered by his Auxiliary Bishop Anthony, he may not be able to attend this special council. So there may be 13 Metropolitans attending.

-all the Bishops - they are all Titular Bishops of ancient nonexistent sees nowadays and serve as Auxiliary Bishops or hold some administrative office. There are 18 or 19 Bishops currently.

-five representatives of each diocese - three clerics and two laypeople and ten representatives of the Diocese of Sofia (which is the Patriarchal diocese) - six clerics and four laypeople.

-a representative of each of the three stavropegial monasteries (Rila, Bachkovo, Troyan).

-two monastics from each diocese - a monk and a nun.

-a representative of each of the two seminaries (in Sofia and Plovdiv).
Interesting. Thank you for all this information. I never knew there was a Met. Simeon in America. Where is he currently? I met Bishop Daniel (who is helping Met. Joseph) this past summer and found him to be a very godly man. May the Lord pick the right man for the job!

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline ag_vn

• Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 07:49:26 AM »
I never knew there was a Met. Simeon in America. Where is he currently?

In Christ,
Andrew

He lives in Phoenix, Arizona, but is not involved in the Diocese of the USA. Born in 1926 in Bulgaria, he has been serving the Bulgarian diaspora since 1966, when he was appointed protosyncellus of the Bulgarian Diocese of the USA. He was consecrated Bishop in 1973 and served as an administrator of the Bulgarian Diocese of Akron from 1973 until 1978 (the Bulgarian Diocese of the USA, Canada and Australia was divided into two dioceses from 1969 until 1989 - Diocese of New York and Diocese of Akron, Ohio). Then he served as Patriarchal Vicar for Western and Central Europe from 1979 until 1986, when was elected the first Metropolitan of the newly established Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese of Western and Central Europe with seat in Budapest until 1994, when it was moved to Berlin. In recent years he lives predominantly in the USA and visits his diocese or Sofia rarely due to his advanced age and health issues. The Diocese of Western and Central Europe is actually administrated by his Auxiliary Bishops - Bishop Tikhon (2003-2009) and currently Bishop Anthony (from 2010).

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »
I never knew there was a Met. Simeon in America. Where is he currently?

In Christ,
Andrew

He lives in Phoenix, Arizona, but is not involved in the Diocese of the USA. Born in 1926 in Bulgaria, he has been serving the Bulgarian diaspora since 1966, when he was appointed protosyncellus of the Bulgarian Diocese of the USA. He was consecrated Bishop in 1973 and served as an administrator of the Bulgarian Diocese of Akron from 1973 until 1978 (the Bulgarian Diocese of the USA, Canada and Australia was divided into two dioceses from 1969 until 1989 - Diocese of New York and Diocese of Akron, Ohio). Then he served as Patriarchal Vicar for Western and Central Europe from 1979 until 1986, when was elected the first Metropolitan of the newly established Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese of Western and Central Europe with seat in Budapest until 1994, when it was moved to Berlin. In recent years he lives predominantly in the USA and visits his diocese or Sofia rarely due to his advanced age and health issues. The Diocese of Western and Central Europe is actually administrated by his Auxiliary Bishops - Bishop Tikhon (2003-2009) and currently Bishop Anthony (from 2010).

Do you happen to know what parish he celebrates in/attends?
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
I read elsewhere that only one (Metropolitan Gabriel, I think, but I could be wrong) of the three candidates for patriarch received the required number of 10 votes to be nominated for election to the patriarchal throne.  The other two only received 9 votes each; thus, only one of the candidates is nominated for the election to the patriarchal throne.  (I don't recall any of their names.)  The bishops were to meet today to decide how to proceed. 

Does anyone know, is this information I am relating in accurate or not?
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 03:41:41 AM »
I read elsewhere that only one (Metropolitan Gabriel, I think, but I could be wrong)

Metropolitan Galaktion.

Offline ag_vn

• Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 04:09:15 AM »

Do you happen to know what parish he celebrates in/attends?

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't celebrate/attend.

I read elsewhere that only one (Metropolitan Gabriel, I think, but I could be wrong) of the three candidates for patriarch received the required number of 10 votes to be nominated for election to the patriarchal throne.  The other two only received 9 votes each; thus, only one of the candidates is nominated for the election to the patriarchal throne.  (I don't recall any of their names.)  The bishops were to meet today to decide how to proceed. 

Does anyone know, is this information I am relating in accurate or not?

There have to be three candidates for the election. If there is only one nominee, there will be no election then. Metropolitan Galaction was nominated on the first day of session (Friday, February 15) with 10 votes. Metropolitan Neophyte and Gabriel were nominated on the second day of the session (Saturday, February 16) with 9 votes each. The Constitution of the Patriarchate says that the nominees need 2/3 of the votes. There are 14 Metropolitan, 13 of them were attending. The Synod decided that the required minimum for nomination is 9 votes.

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 07:56:51 AM »
Ok, that makes sense.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't celebrate/attend.
Is he incapable of doing so, then?  :'(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:52:45 PM by Antonis »
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 02:26:25 AM »

Why is Metropolitan Galaction considered unworthy? I can't see a reason for deeming any Bishop unworthy unless he is a heretic, or is actively living a life subject to a serious sin. Or has done something that has administratively hurt his diocese. Of course those would be grounds for removal anyway.

Offline AntonI

• OC.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of G.B. and Thayteira
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:57 AM »
Last year, the Government commission group which is looking at the files of former membership of the Bulgarian Secret Service during the Communist period turned its attention to the religious group (the group is looking at different groups at each time).  It found that 11 out of 15 Metropolitans were former secret agents (along with their agent names) - the sole exceptions were (surprisingly) the late Patriarch and Metropolitans Gabriel, Nikolai and Ambrosii.

As it stands, only Metropolitan Simeon of Western Europe (the gentleman shown about) have expressed apologies for their actions with other Metropolitans' either being silent on the issue or saying that they had no regrets because they had to do it and nothing they did actually hurt anyone.  Metropolitan Galaktion was one of the agents.  I am not sure what he did exactly but am sure someone can find the relevant summary of his agent files somewhere on the internet.

So yeah, he is considered unpopular because of his past. As to what kind of bishop he is, I cannot comment on this matter as I don't have any knowledge. 

You may also be interested to know that Metropolitan Kyril has the dubious honour of being the only ever locum Patriarch not to be chosen as one of the final three.
Some of us must be sacrificed if all are to be saved

- Ambassador Kosh Naranek

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 04:32:49 AM »
On Sunday, February 24th, the Holy Synod of the Holy Orthodox Church of Bulgaria elected and enthroned Metropolitan Neofit of Ruse, the new Patriarch.  He was enthroned at the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sophia. 

"Axios," "Axios," "Axios."  "Many Years" to His Beatitude, Patriarch Neofit.