OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:17:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The gentle art of forum self-defense  (Read 908 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: February 16, 2013, 02:25:55 AM »

I'm not looking to continue the thoughts expressed in this post; I'm interested in what responses I could've offered that aren't non sequiturs or other logical fallacies.  While no response is also an option, just replace the bolded red text with how you would've replied.   Smiley

What is with this fetishizing over headcoverings.

Sheeeesh

The purple demons came out early for Lent - especially the equating of headcoverings with the Theotokos.  If you don't agree, you're a feminist.

Or a Godless Greek . . .

Serbs, ROCOR and the Old Calendarist groups believe in headcoverings and God and everyone else is Godless?
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »

I'm not looking to continue the thoughts expressed in this post; I'm interested in what responses I could've offered that aren't non sequiturs or other logical fallacies.  While no response is also an option, just replace the bolded red text with how you would've replied.   Smiley

Sheeeesh

The purple demons came out early for Lent - especially the equating of headcoverings with the Theotokos.  If you don't agree, you're a feminist.

Or a Godless Greek . . .

Serbs, ROCOR and the Old Calendarist groups believe in headcoverings and God and everyone else is Godless?

Your problem started two lines up.  Don't jump into a fracas if you can't keep up.  That is true of ANY self defense situation.  Now this is at least the third thread that you are acting all butthurt over this.  Since you really seem to get upset over this, perhaps "no response" is the best option for you. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

Sheeeesh

Or a Godless Greek . . .

Punch may be on to something.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:07:57 AM »

I'm not looking to continue the thoughts expressed in this post; I'm interested in what responses I could've offered that aren't non sequiturs or other logical fallacies.  While no response is also an option, just replace the bolded red text with how you would've replied.   Smiley

Or Iranian female police officers blind field stripping AKs while in full holiness garb:  

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:36:37 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »

Or Iranian female police officers blind field stripping AKs while in full holiness garb: 

The image of women and automatic rifles just caused me to sin.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:37:09 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »

I for one highly appreciate redneck culture. It is probably the only culture with women where you could take them camping, shooting or digging for treasure through a junkyard and it qualifies as a romantic date.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »

"I shall focus my chi and defeat you without laying even but a finger on you!"

Large Marge sent me...
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »

Don't you dare point your chi at me!

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »

Just like Yellow Bamboo.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »

Sarcasm is very hard to decipher online.  A response could be "I don't understand"...or just give yourself time to get the joke.  Read back to what you wrote.  Maybe it was in response to something earlier you said.  Maybe it was in response to previous discussions in other threads.  Or maybe it might not make sense.

Some suggestions of sarcasm may include a "LOL" by other members of the forum, especially if they are Greek and they haven't taken offense.  Some suggestions of confusion might be silence or just not responding at all to that post.  Anger at a comment would be obvious.  Either way, prudent to wait and see or as I might say sometimes, "I'm really sorry.  I'm bad at inside jokes.  I don't understand this."

I think in the context of this, it seems he's not taking it literally, but simply ridiculing at how traditionalists will accuse those who did not wear head coverings as "Godless Greeks", in addition to the "feminist" comment made by the previous poster.

Side effects of sarcasm include squinting at the screen of your computer too long, splitting headache, repercussions of bad jokes, inappropriate thoughts, pulling hair, grinding teeth, pulling teeth (a rare side effect), dry mouth (for yelling too much), sore throat (for yelling too much), rolling over in your future grave, and falling off your chair laughing your gluteal muscles off.

Call your forum doctor today!

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: