OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 06:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A T-Rex of an idea – dinosaur milk?  (Read 458 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »

"But before you start imagining T-Rex in a bra, Professor Else said dinosaur lactation, if it did in fact exist, would have involved secretions from the upper digestive tract that produce a ‘milk-like’ substance.

“Pigeons, emperor penguins and flamingos all produce ‘milk-like’ substances from crop glands or glands of the oesophagus that they feed to their young through their mouths,” he said.

“Since birds and dinosaurs share much in common I proposed that some dinosaurs likely used this feeding strategy.”

Professor Else’s theory has been published in the latest issue of The Journal of Experimental Biology."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:21:41 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »

"But before you start imagining T-Rex in a bra, Professor Else said dinosaur lactation, if it did in fact exist, would have involved secretions from the upper digestive tract that produce a ‘milk-like’ substance.

“Pigeons, emperor penguins and flamingos all produce ‘milk-like’ substances from crop glands or glands of the oesophagus that they feed to their young through their mouths,” he said.

“Since birds and dinosaurs share much in common I proposed that some dinosaurs likely used this feeding strategy.”

Professor Else’s theory has been published in the latest issue of The Journal of Experimental Biology."

Where *do* you this stuff?? Grin  And I thought *I* had too much time on my hands  Grin Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »

Would it be considered lenten?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:25:00 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »

Where *do* you this stuff?? Grin  And I thought *I* had too much time on my hands  Grin Grin.
It's Lent. Milk is allowable, I think.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »

Reptiles don't incubate their eggs, so they are not likely to be around when they hatch, much less feed the hatchlings.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »

It's Lent. Milk is allowable, I think.

I meant, where do you get these articles, not where do you get dinosaur milk.  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »

Reptiles don't incubate their eggs, so they are not likely to be around when they hatch, much less feed the hatchlings.

The theories have changed quite a bit over the years.  They have found mixed adult and baby dinosaurs and adults and nests.  I believe the Maiasaur in the US and Protoceratops in Mongolia at least have.  Possibly others.  

And they think they are closer to birds than reptiles.  There are some interesting critters (Archeopteryx) that seem to be a little bit of both.  Not to mention the 'raptor' on Velociraptor means "bird of prey".  This is due to the skeletal similarities.  
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »

The theories have changed quite a bit over the years.  They have found mixed adult and baby dinosaurs and adults and nests.  I believe the Maiasaur in the US and Protoceratops in Mongolia at least have.  Possibly others.  

And they think they are closer to birds than reptiles.  There are some interesting critters (Archeopteryx) that seem to be a little bit of both.  Not to mention the 'raptor' on Velociraptor means "bird of prey".  This is due to the skeletal similarities.  

Whatever became of the Vamratoraptor, anyway?  I've never heard of any finds of skeletal remains.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »

Jetavan has replaced all other news sites for me. I only get my news from him.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:23 AM »

Jetavan has replaced all other news sites for me. I only get my news from him.

This

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35:51 AM »

Please tell me we are not publicly funding such research, please, please.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 05:28:02 AM »

Please tell me we are not publicly funding such research, please, please.

"Who. Funds. These. Studies?" -- Paula Poundstone, on learning studies had proven women were attracted to men "who dance like John Travolta."

She also said the same thing largely word for word regarding a study about whether giraffes can swim IIRC.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 05:31:55 AM »

If dinosaurs came back alive, would they be Lenten?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 05:58:50 AM »

If dinosaurs came back alive, would they be Lenten?

They're reptiles. We have reptiles now. Those reptiles are not Lenten. Why would dinosaurs be different?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:06 AM »

Plenty of reptiles do actually, and so did plenty of dinosaurs. They've even found huge nesting grounds with scores of nests, eggs and incubating parents fossilized Pompeii style.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 01:28:50 PM »

There's nothing like a mother's love:

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 02:37:30 PM »

I still prefer cow's milk. Makes the best ice cream. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »

Whatever became of the Vamratoraptor, anyway?  I've never heard of any finds of skeletal remains.

They evolved into birds and from there into Platypusses.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »

Whatever became of the Vamratoraptor, anyway?  I've never heard of any finds of skeletal remains.

They evolved into birds and from there into Platypusses.

'Perry!'
'GRAMPS!'

Cheesy

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:53:54 AM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: