OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:37:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The cross with other religious symbols?  (Read 1093 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: February 15, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »

Before, I was pondering wearing my grandmother's miraculous medal with my baptismal cross as a memorial to her and a devotion to the Theotokos.  I've chosen not to as it's solid gold and I'd die if I lost it, but this brings up an interesting question.

What do you all think of people wearing other religious symbols with their crosses?  I've seen two people do it - one is an old woman who is a Roman Catholic of Jewish descent, and wears the Star of David with her cross.  Another is a teenager I met at summer camp, who is really into his Scandinavian heritage (and considers himself a viking!)  He wears his baptismal cross with his mjolnir.  He says that he has no connections to Paganism, but his Greek Church is so Greek that he wants his heritage represented in his faith.

What do you think of this?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »

Cretinism.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:13:22 PM »

Another is a teenager I met at summer camp, who is really into his Scandinavian heritage (and considers himself a viking!)  He wears his baptismal cross with his mjolnir.  He says that he has no connections to Paganism, but his Greek Church is so Greek that he wants his heritage represented in his faith.

Funny as he is young. Sad if he were older. Only cause of the whole Viking thing. I don't the energy or care to google to find out what a mjolnir is. I am sure it is as irrelevant to the world as the notion of being a Viking, unless you are playing on some sport team named such.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »

Another is a teenager I met at summer camp, who is really into his Scandinavian heritage (and considers himself a viking!)  He wears his baptismal cross with his mjolnir.  He says that he has no connections to Paganism, but his Greek Church is so Greek that he wants his heritage represented in his faith.

Funny as he is young. Sad if he were older. Only cause of the whole Viking thing. I don't the energy or care to google to find out what a mjolnir is. I am sure it is as irrelevant to the world as the notion of being a Viking, unless you are playing on some sport team named such.

The "viking" thing was just my attempt at humor.  A mjolnir is an ancient symbol used in Scandinavian paganism.  It's supposed to be Thor's hammer, and protects the wearer somehow.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »

A friend of mine lost several $k in a TV game show because he also didn't know what Mjolnir is.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »

A friend of mine lost several $k in a TV game show because he also didn't know what Mjolnir is.

Color me wrong!

Thanks for the tip. Mind saying what the game show was?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 05:18:53 PM »

Before, I was pondering wearing my grandmother's miraculous medal with my baptismal cross as a memorial to her and a devotion to the Theotokos.  I've chosen not to as it's solid gold and I'd die if I lost it, but this brings up an interesting question.

What do you all think of people wearing other religious symbols with their crosses?  I've seen two people do it - one is an old woman who is a Roman Catholic of Jewish descent, and wears the Star of David with her cross.  Another is a teenager I met at summer camp, who is really into his Scandinavian heritage (and considers himself a viking!)  He wears his baptismal cross with his mjolnir.  He says that he has no connections to Paganism, but his Greek Church is so Greek that he wants his heritage represented in his faith.

Many pagan symbols were converted into crossed.  Thor's Hammer is one of these.  

I wouldn't want to lead you astray but I really don't see anything wrong with this as the memory of the person/political affiliation is what you are upholding, not any religious beliefs they had.  
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »

Color me wrong!

Who Wants to Be A Zlotyaire
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »

The "viking" thing was just my attempt at humor.  A mjolnir is an ancient symbol used in Scandinavian paganism.  It's supposed to be Thor's hammer, and protects the wearer somehow.

It would be hard to arrange the bolded words in a sentence which wouldn't make me laugh.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »

Another is a teenager I met at summer camp, who is really into his Scandinavian heritage (and considers himself a viking!)  He wears his baptismal cross with his mjolnir.  He says that he has no connections to Paganism, but his Greek Church is so Greek that he wants his heritage represented in his faith.

Color me wrong!

Polish version of "Fifteen to One".

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »

I don't the energy or care to google to find out what a mjolnir is. I am sure it is as irrelevant to the world as the notion of being a Viking, unless you are playing on some sport team named such.

Whoops, wrong one.

This is probably what he meant:
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 05:25:09 PM »

Another is a teenager I met at summer camp, who is really into his Scandinavian heritage (and considers himself a viking!)  He wears his baptismal cross with his mjolnir.  He says that he has no connections to Paganism, but his Greek Church is so Greek that he wants his heritage represented in his faith.

Color me wrong!

Dude, you shudda done or I shudda was tried to get on a Who wants to show in a small European country using the Euro.

Austria for example has 8 million people. And they were handing out 1 million Euros. Much better odds of getting on. And the European versions of this game where actually easier for the typical slightly educated American. The first few questions would be the hardest and you could use the audience and other life lines to answer the weird cultural stuff you wouldn't know.

After that you get basic general knowledge questions.

Then the hardest questions where either just slight more difficult general knowledge questions OR questions most Americans would know.

Just have to get pass those first 3-4 questions and the 1 mil was nearly a lock.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:25:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »

Color me wrong!

Dude, you shudda done or I shudda was tried to get on a Who wants to show in a small European country using the Euro.

Austria for example has 8 million people. And they were handing out 1 million Euros. Much better odds of getting on. And the European versions of this game where actually easier for the typical slightly educated American. The first few questions would be the hardest and you could use the audience and other life lines to answer the weird cultural stuff you wouldn't know.

Then the hardest questions where either just slight more difficult general knowledge questions OR questions most Americans would know.

Just have to get pass those first 3-4 questions and the 1 mil was nearly a lock.

When it was being aired here I had other impressions. Fairly easy first 1-3 questions, then quite difficult middle third part that was eliminating  most of the competitors. Very few people were reaching the last third part. Only 1 person won the 1 M PLN.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't wear a mjolnir. We haven't worshipped the old gods in nearly a thousand years. Today, it is either used as fashion or among neopagans as a sign of devotion to Thor. Maybe he could wear a runic symbol or something.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »

Color me wrong!

When it was being aired here I had other impressions. Fairly easy first 1-3 questions, then quite difficult middle third part that was eliminating  most of the competitors. Very few people were reaching the last third part. Only 1 person won the 1 M PLN.

That's my point. That is because you are Polish / Belarusyn / whatever. For an American those first 1-3 would likely be difficult. Sheesh I studied Germanic language and get along a bit with Austrian dialect, but sometimes I would have a hard time even understanding the some of the first questions in the Austrian version. After that, easy as pie. And often the last question was something again which seemed a little easier than what we had over here if it dealt with general knowledge, oft the difficulty would be skewed by appealing to American culture which would be quite easy for most Americans to answer.

The way of compensating for the smaller population was that the levels prior to the 1 mil Euro question were lower than their American equivalent.

IOW, when I watched it, I could have made through and answered correctly the ultimate question or penultimate question with the aide of my Austrian friends with the first could of questions.

Not nearly as successful with the American version.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't wear a mjolnir. We haven't worshipped the old gods in nearly a thousand years. Today, it is either used as fashion or among neopagans as a sign of devotion to Thor. Maybe he could wear a runic symbol or something.

Are such people properly mocked as they are here?

choy
Archon

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »

Or that you are a really big comic book geek.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »

What?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »

What?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 06:11:11 PM »

What?

The Comic Book version of Thor also wields a hammer called Mjolnir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_(comics)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »

Color me wrong!

And, as of today, it would have made you a 1.34 millionaire in USD.  GBP is better yet but there are a lot of smart Poms out there.  more competition unless you got lucky and were just facing off against a bunch of Chavs led by Ali G himself.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »

What?

Oh year, thats right. Didn't think about that.

-St Silouan the athonite
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »

To get back to the OP, I think the arguments for or against wearing other religious symbols will be similar to those we've had about attending worship services of other faiths. I personally wouldn't want to send out mixed messages, but others may have very valid reasons for wearing such things.

I suppose in this category one could include jewellery with a patriotic theme.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »

Scando-Americans are funny like that. I bet he eats lutefisk twice a week too.

I'm not sure how you could say Mjølner was anything but a pagan symbol. Were I a priest, I'd refuse to commune anyone wearing one, though I'm not sure you'd ever encounter that problem outside Minnesota.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »

I don't object to the combination, only to the practical side of it.

I wouldn't string more than one pendant on the same necklace, not least because they jingle, and I wouldn't wear more than one necklace at a time, because it looks tacky (especially if they are made of different materials). A charm bracelet or pin badge(s) would probably work better.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »

Color me wrong!

The relevance TV game shows have to the rest of the world used to be minimal.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »

Color me wrong!

The relevance TV game shows have to the rest of the world used to be minimal.

Yup. I'm getting old. Tongue laugh
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 09:12:43 PM »

Here's the thing.  A cross is not a piece of jewelry or a necklace.  It's a symbol of your Faith.  It is an instrument that defeated death.  It is more than mere decoration or a symbolism representing your "christianity".

Therefore, in my opinion, wearing anything alongside the cross (same chain) is wrong.  Nothing is "equal" or compares to it.

If you wish to wear nationalistic jewelry (ie. Ukrainians wear the trizub - trident), I would wear it on a separate chain, hanging lower than the Cross.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 09:33:23 PM »

Scandinavian heritage (and considers himself a viking!)

Pretty silly since the Vikings colonised so many places that they're probably more the heritage of Irish, English, Scottish, French and Russian people then they are modern Scandinavians...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »

Pretty silly since the Vikings colonised so many places that they're probably more the heritage of Irish, English, Scottish, French and Russian people then they are modern Scandinavians...
you mean the Vikings whose boats leaked and sank, and were too weak to row?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »

Here's the thing.  A cross is not a piece of jewelry or a necklace.  It's a symbol of your Faith.  It is an instrument that defeated death.  It is more than mere decoration or a symbolism representing your "christianity".

Therefore, in my opinion, wearing anything alongside the cross (same chain) is wrong.  Nothing is "equal" or compares to it.

If you wish to wear nationalistic jewelry (ie. Ukrainians wear the trizub - trident), I would wear it on a separate chain, hanging lower than the Cross.

Thanks, Liza, that's what I've come to think, too.  Smiley

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 12:18:08 AM »

Well, an icon is fine and traditional. But symbols of other religions? Why would anyone even do that and claim to be a Christian? What is the point? Wearing the Cross has a legitimate purpose. Of what avail is Thor's stupid hammer? Is that going to "save and protect" you? Good luck with that.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 01:41:19 AM »

Well, an icon is fine and traditional. But symbols of other religions? Why would anyone even do that and claim to be a Christian? What is the point? Wearing the Cross has a legitimate purpose. Of what avail is Thor's stupid hammer? Is that going to "save and protect" you? Good luck with that.

Liza and Shanghaiski have nailed it. 'Nuff said, IMHO.
Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

"My Lord and my God!"

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 01:48:47 AM »

What is the point of wearing non-religious or non-Christian symbols? A cross and a metal mandylion is what I wear.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:49:18 AM by Antonis » Logged

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 01:57:15 AM »

What is the point of wearing non-religious or non-Christian symbols?

I know, right?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:57:36 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

"My Lord and my God!"

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 02:01:31 AM »

You're so clever, Orthonorm!

let us pray to the Lord.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 02:12:41 AM »

I know, right?

Antonis, Orthonorm isn't as clever as you think.

From the Orthodox betrothal service:

Lord our God, You journeyed with the servant of the Patriarch Abraham in Mesopotamia when he was sent to obtain a wife for his lord Isaac, and by means of drawing water You revealed that he should betroth Rebecca. Bless the betrothal of Your servants N. and M. and make firm the word that they have spoken. Confirm them with the holy unity that comes from You. For it was You who in the beginning created male and female, and it is by you that woman is linked to man as a helper and for the continuation of the human race. Therefore, Lord our God, who sent truth out to Your inheritance and Your promise to Your servants, our fathers, Your elect in every generation, look on Your servant N. and your servant M., and make firm their betrothal in faith and concord and truth and love.

For it is You, Lord, who declared that a pledge is to be given and made firm in everything. By a ring authority was given to Joseph in Egypt. By a ring Daniel was glorified in the country of Babylon. By a ring the truth of Thamar was revealed. By a ring our heavenly Father showed compassion to the prodigal son. For he said, ‘Put a ring on his hand and bring out and slay the fatted calf, and let us eat and be joyful’.

It was Your right hand, Lord, that armed Moses at the Red Sea, for through Your true word the heavens were made firm and the earth set on its foundations. And the right hand of Your servants will be blessed by Your mighty word and by Your upraised arm. Therefore, Master, with Your heavenly blessing now bless also this putting-on of rings. And may an Angel of the Lord go before them all the days of their lives. For You are the One who blesses and sanctifies all things, and to You we give glory, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:13:45 AM by LBK » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 02:56:34 AM »

What?

By the way, do you know how secularized American society is? I watched this Avengers animated series and they called Thor the "Prince of Thunder".  I mean, seriously?  They can't even call a pagan diety's comic book reincarnation as a "god"?
Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

"My Lord and my God!"

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 03:12:17 AM »

I know, right?

Lord our God, You journeyed with the servant of the Patriarch Abraham in Mesopotamia when he was sent to obtain a wife for his lord Isaac, and by means of drawing water You revealed that he should betroth Rebecca. Bless the betrothal of Your servants N. and M. and make firm the word that they have spoken. Confirm them with the holy unity that comes from You. For it was You who in the beginning created male and female, and it is by you that woman is linked to man as a helper and for the continuation of the human race. Therefore, Lord our God, who sent truth out to Your inheritance and Your promise to Your servants, our fathers, Your elect in every generation, look on Your servant N. and your servant M., and make firm their betrothal in faith and concord and truth and love.

For it is You, Lord, who declared that a pledge is to be given and made firm in everything. By a ring authority was given to Joseph in Egypt. By a ring Daniel was glorified in the country of Babylon. By a ring the truth of Thamar was revealed. By a ring our heavenly Father showed compassion to the prodigal son. For he said, ‘Put a ring on his hand and bring out and slay the fatted calf, and let us eat and be joyful’.

It was Your right hand, Lord, that armed Moses at the Red Sea, for through Your true word the heavens were made firm and the earth set on its foundations. And the right hand of Your servants will be blessed by Your mighty word and by Your upraised arm. Therefore, Master, with Your heavenly blessing now bless also this putting-on of rings. And may an Angel of the Lord go before them all the days of their lives. For You are the One who blesses and sanctifies all things, and to You we give glory, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages.
Thanks LBK.  Smiley I've chanted at about three weddings now, I was just trying to give orthonorm the online validation he craves.  Wink

let us pray to the Lord.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 05:53:17 AM »

We were good at assimilating.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »

Shinies.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

We were good at assimilating.

We are Vikings. Resistance is useless. We will be assimilated.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 10:45:26 AM »

Shinies.

Is it because there is not bling enough in Orthodoxy that ye seek bling elsewhere? (With all apologies to the holy prophets.)

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »

I know, right?

I have a feeling the circle sorta predates however most define Christianity.

And the response was obviously sarcasm.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »

I know, right?

Thanks LBK.  Smiley I've chanted at about three weddings now, I was just trying to give orthonorm the online validation he craves.  Wink

Really I would prefer that folks like you disagree. Take a note. Again what is most disheartening here is the LBK didn't understand you were being sarcastic thus ironic.

Actually more so, that you both think a circle is a Christian symbol as such.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: